Dead GeForce 5600FX Fan

DanMattia

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

I was doing some internal rewiring in my dad's right today, and I went to turn it on while the case panel was removed to test all the fans. CPU and chassis fans worked, but the fan on the GeForce 5600FX was dead. It wasn't spinning at all, and it was indeed plugged in.

I checked VGA temps under the Nvidia drivers settings, and the temp was about 64*C idle. When that rig was also used by me, the temps were the same and would climb to about 80-90*C under load. At the time, I didn't know whether the fan was dead or not.

I have a couple questions:
1) Could dust be causing the fan not to work?
2) If the fan is indeed dead, do you have any recommendations on replacements that are cheap (under $30) and will work pretty well? Newer games aren't played much on that rig anymore, so there's not much of a load. I'd like any replacements to be installed easily with no modifications.

The video card is BFG Tech Asylum, so could I just RMA a fan, even though the video card was purchased in July 2003? I've never had to RMA before. Should I even bother trying to RMA, or just buy a fan?

Thanks.

Dust might be one of the factors that will cause a fan to fail. What is more likely is that the fan bearings are bad, due to the excessive heat that video cards usually produce. BFG cards do have a lifetime warranty, so you can try RMA-ing the card. Putting your own thermal solution on it will void the warranty (technically).

Hey,

Sorry for the slow reply; [H]F was down for me for awhile.

So I should just RMA the card and forget about getting a new fan? I don't have the receipt for the card anymore, from what I believe, so what's required for an RMA?

Also, the card works fine, and it would be a shame to RMA it. I just need a new fan, since the card still produces the same graphics it always did.

Thanks.

You probably do need the reciept...

If you don't want to suffer any downtime, then it'd be better to get an aftermarket solution. Consult the air-cooling guide for some pointers.

Back