Dead harddisk

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
One of the machines I support stopped booting and upon investigation, I found that the harddisk is dead. It is a seagate 7200.12 sata drive. I tried different sata cables, different ports, different power cables and it didn't get detected at all. And I don't seem to be able to hear or feel any sounds/movements coming out of it. I think it is just completely dead.

The PCB is easily reachable and it can be unscrewed.

Question is : Should I try swapping the PCB with one from another identical drive? Do you think it is worth it? Or should I just shoot the drive, burn it and say farewell?

Thanks.

One of the machines I support stopped booting and upon investigation, I found that the harddisk is dead. It is a seagate 7200.12 sata drive. I tried different sata cables, different ports, different power cables and it didn't get detected at all. And I don't seem to be able to hear or feel any sounds/movements coming out of it. I think it is just completely dead.

The PCB is easily reachable and it can be unscrewed.

Question is : Should I try swapping the PCB with one from another identical drive? Do you think it is worth it? Or should I just shoot the drive, burn it and say farewell?

Thanks.

What do you have to lose???

I say give it a shot - You WILL learn something from it!!! There is an outside chance a dead short in the existing failed drive will brick your PCB transplant.... but I would say it should be a rare situation.

Go For It, and then tell us what you learned!!! :)

There used to be a site that listed exactly which numbers had to match but I can't find it.

Here's a little info on which numbers must match for some Seagate 7200.12 series drives.

It also mentions this....
For this model hard drives, every PCB board has unique firmware, only works on it's original hard drive. In order to swap PCB to fix the hard drive problem, firmware transfer is a must
Might be BS, might not.

Good Luck!

Back