Dead RAM stick, caused by bad airflow?

dealmaster

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

After encountering BSODs and general system instability for a while, I finally narrowed the problem down to a bad memory stick. I've started the RMA process, but I had a question about my system setup.

I have G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 RAM and the bad stick sits underneath one of my Scythe Ultra Kaze 38mm fans on my heatsink. It likely gets little to no airflow at all. Is it possible that this environment caused the RAM to heat up and die an early death? I don't recall getting BSODs when I first bought the RAM, but that was months ago and I can't say for sure.

If you guys think it's possible that heat killed it, I'll pick up some Gentle Typhoons and remove the thicker fans, hopefully that'd improve the airflow over that stick. If you don't think it's a problem, we'll chalk it up to a defective stick and hope for the best when the replacement arrives. Thanks!

No, because DDR3 chips generate way too little heat and are rated for 85C (usually 95C if the refresh rate is doubled), which is why they're never heatsinked, except to hide something or to impress the style conscious,

What brand chips are on that G.Skill RAM, and what are their actual speed ratings (not SPD ratings)? Because G.Skill has overclocked their RipJaws by as much as 60% and doesn't employ the strictest testing (just PC based).

I've had one too many GSkill sticks die. A couple years back I upgraded a couple Mac Pro's to Non ECC 16gb sets and out of the 16 sticks I had, 7 were bad :(. That's not to say they're a bad brand, I could have just had bad luck, but I'd have to agree with "the three stooges" above in that they don't seem to have the strictest testing.

I've had one too many GSkill sticks die. A couple years back I upgraded a couple Mac Pro's to Non ECC 16gb sets and out of the 16 sticks I had, 7 were bad :(. That's not to say they're a bad brand, I could have just had bad luck,
Do you mean they really died and wouldn't work any more even at slower speeds, including the actual speed ratings of their chips?

Last edited:
Back