dead storageworks server, drives are locked?

dbwillis

[H]F Junkie
At work we have an old Storageworks server (2U type) and the mobo has a nice burn mark on it and it doesnt boot any more.
Also not under warranty any longer..
Before tossing it to the end of life hardware company that comes by, I scavenged some parts from it..

3Ware 9500S-12, 4gb DDR ECC/REG and some nice copper heatsinks for the copper scrap bucket
Also had (6) Seagate 250gb ST3250823NS drives "NL35.1" that have a big sticker "manufactured by Seagate for OEM distribution"
I popped the drives into another machine and they are drive locked.
Any way I can use the drives again? (or should I toss them in the aluminum scrap bucket!)

Drive locked? If they were part of an array the partition would be 'foreign' to your system, and you would need the whole set of drives on the right controller with the right driver installed to see the 'storage partition' - Know what I mean?

You try whacking them with DBAN? That should fix it...

If they were connected to the 3ware controller originally, then they should still come up if the array is set up in another machine.

If there's no success with that, DBAN is your saviour. :p

nope, they arent 'foreign' disks, upon bootup, the drive asks for a PW before it allows access
it shows in device manager as 'disk' and doesnt show up in disk management

ahhhh, can't see how you're gonna get past that...do you really need the data on them? If not, just wipe them.

thats it...you cant access them at all to wipe them unless you enter the PW to unlock it

3ware controllers do that.. if you google it you should find an answer, but from what i remember you need to plug them back into a 3ware controller to unlock them

Thanks Angus,,,,didnt know 3ware controllers did that, I still have the card they were plugged into, will try that tomorrow at work

I wonder how 3ware implement that then? Does that protection work with any drive, or is it Whole Disk Encryption drives only? Does it have to be supported in drive firmware?

Back