Dealing with a BSOD.

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
Running windows 7 64bit.

Computer will restart itself after it shuts off the display from being idle. Checked the event viewer, turns out its a BSOD. Recently swapped motherboards but, putting two and two together it was doing the same thing on the old board (Went Z77 to Q77), but I never did check event viewer on the old board.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800741c010, 0xfffff8800ff9dbbc, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 040714-5834-01.

Searching a little, it appears to be video card related. Currently using a Gigabyte 550ti with the 332.21 drivers.

Anyone have any advice? I'll try updating to the latest.

Update to the latest graphics drivers as well as the latest BIOS for your system. The 116 error is when timeout detection and recovery is unable to get a response from your hardware after repeated attempts to reset it. Most of the time it's driver related, though sometimes the BIOS doesn't properly handle power transitions or other graphics card features.

If you continue to get them, I can take a look at the memory dump, but based on debugging a ton of TDRs in the past, I'm suspecting the above will fix the issue unless there is a physical hardware issue.

If you have an other PSU try that also. Do you have problems booting at all?

If you have an other PSU try that also. Do you have problems booting at all?

No extra PSU at the moment, it's getting replaced soon anyway.

Something odd, i've got 8gb of 1066 in it, had it set to 1333. It hard reset twice. So i set the memory back and no issues so far. Could the memory cause that?

First rule of thumb in troubleshooting is always removing any overclocks as the first step if you have any.

Definitely have to put a 2nd out there on graphics drivers. I had a pc that was perfectly fine for months, then I updated to the latest driver. The machine would just hang with a black screen at random times and I thought the card was toast. After a couple months I tried it again with a newer driver (331.65) and that one works flawlessly with my GTX 580. Haven't touched it since then as there is unlikely to be performance fixes for 5 series cards but I don't need a flaky machine because of bad drivers.

Back