Decent deal? Kingston HyperX PC3200 $169 @ Outpost

sbrown23

Weaksauce
Hmmmm... looks like Outpost has some memory deals going!

Corsair 1GB PC3200 XMS - #TWINX1024-3200C2PT, selling for $159 at Outpost, but $189 at the egg. Lowest price on Froogle shows $184.99. Gonna have to check Fry's tomorrow to see if they have it in store too!

Looks like the timings on the Corsair XMS are 2-3-3-6, but on the Corsair site, they say that on AMD systems it is really 2.5-3-3-6.

So, the question now for the memory experts, between the HyperX and the XMS, which is the better RAM? It looks like the HyperX has better timings for only a $10 price diff over the XMS. I won't be doing massive overclocks, instead looking for tighter timings on mild overclocks.

I have this stuff. I think outpost has had it as cheap as $139 AR before. This stuff doesn't seem to like overclocking. Also, the SPD of it is something like 2.5-3-3-8. You have to manually set it to 2-3-2-6. Voltage increases cause major instability for this ram. Make sure you run memtest86 on it for like 6 hours. My first stick failed immediately and was replaced in a timely matter by outpost.

Edit: it appears to be out of stock anyways

You know how company's like OCZ and Corsair talk about "other companies" not giving you "Real" ram at its rated speed? Well these is one. This is like Overclocked PC2700. This ram will NOT OC very high and Does not like tight timings. Even when I called Kingston, they only had like 10 motherboards that would do the 2-3-2-6 like its advertised. ALL other boards are guarannteed at 2.5-3-3-6 or whatever their "ValueRam" was on your board. Screw Kingston.

If you want to OC please please stay away.

Rad777

I'd get the corsair before the Hyper X.

I picked up the same Hyper X deal a while back, and I'm not too happy with it. (at least not for overclocking)

I used to run my 2x256 XMS32000 at 300FSB with 3:2 ratio (DDR400) 2-2-2-6-1 with all GAT on Auto

Now with the Hyper X the max I can do is about 284FSB with 3:2 ratio (DDR379) at 2.5-3-3-7-1 and I had to Disable Command per clock on GAT to get it stable.

They run perfectly fine at:
200FSB 1:1 ratio at 2-3-3-6-1
or 250FSB 5:4 ratio at 2-3-3-6-1

The problem seems to be max through put.
at 200 1:1 (2-3-2-6-1)--- I get about 4900Mb/s
at 250 5:4 (2-3-3-6-1)--- I get about 5400Mb/s (go much higher and it fails)
at 284 3:2 (2.5-3-3-7-1)- I get about 5400Mb/s (go much higher and it fails)

so it seems they max at about 5400Mb/s... I can tweak the timings, FSB, and ratios various ways.... but when ever I start hitting 5450Mb/s + I start having problems.

Just a heads up, as my Corsair XMS3200 at 300FSB with 3:2 ratio and 2-2-2-6-1 was giving me nearly 6000Mb/s.

I'd get the corsair pc3200 c2pt from outpost... rock solid ram... I have experience with 6Gb of it in several computers... I'm not an overclocker, but I do run tight timings and I appreciate the absolute solidity of this ram for running mathematical calculations over periods of several days...

You all rock. Thanks for the heads up! Gonna pick up some Corsair today I think. Hopefully Fry's has the same deal!

I dropped it to 2.5-3-3-6 for stability. I was having a few problems today, so I thought that may help. I have never run dual channel mode before, so I didn't know if that was the problem or aggressive timings...

Now I am back at 2336 timings for this ram. It was my overclock that was giving me fits... Oh well... Time for a cpu upgrade...

I bought some of this stuff a few months ago for $165 plus a $20 rebate at outpost (so $145). It's CH-5. It wouldn't post at default speeds so I called Kingston and asked if I could upgrade to the non-A version (which is TCCD) for the price difference on Kingston's site, which is $20. They said yes and even paid for shipping.

What I'm saying is that I got Kingston TCCD for $165, which while it isn't the best TCCD out there, is one helluva deal.

Mr. Tinker, how does the TCCD overclock? I bought the ram above on the same deal a while back but dont have my computer built yet, i havn't even taken the ram out of the box. If the overclocking sucks on it i may do what you did.

thanks guys

Nate

I haven't pushed mine yet, since I'm severely CPU limited (3200 ram with a 533fsb cpu). most oc'ers claim that most TCCD will get you to 240-250 range at decent timings. Voltage does little for TCCD.

thanks

Ill get my new rig up and running in the next couple of weeks and let you know.

Back