Decent wireless speakers in the future?!

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
Mark Schifter over at av123 made a pretty hefty comment about an upcoming product:

Mark Schifter said:
REALLY appreciate this off... Makes my 12kM on the bike in a few minutes more tolerable...

There ARE some real reasons why this sub works... I KNOW I need to go into greater detail about all of this... but as most of you can see, I've been steering clear of the forums lately because I'm hard at work on some new stuff that's about to be announced...

I'll let this much out of the bag... Imagine if you will a "Networked Speaker" that plugs into the wall socket (as it's completely powered) and has it's own IP Address --- your Mac or PC finds it... and you can start streaming music through it RIGHT NOW... Up to 8 sets of speakers all over your home or office can be set up to do this task... ALL WIRELESS --- or imagine if you will a TX/RX box at your pre-pro that can send all of the data (with phenomenal full bandwidth fidelity) for your rears or envelope channels etc. etc. etc. NO WIRES... WORKS GREAT... Imagine the possibilities if you will...

(oh and Ron B. --- no specs yet... O.K. :cool

I've been so busy I haven't had the time to get The Mini's set for Brad's visit... THAT'S how crazy/busy I've been with all of this... That and solving some "power drop" transformer issues I've been wrestling with...

In any event... my sincerest thanks to all of you for being patient...

Promises Delivered...

Love and Hugs to all...

mls

I'm excited to hear more about this. Perhaps wireless speakers will become as good as, or better in some aspects, than their wired variants.

That would mean that each speaker is going to have to have its own DAC as well as its own amplifier. That is cramming a lot of key components into the speakers. Combine that with the tech each speaker is going to have in order to get on the network, and I’m pretty sure that you are going to have to pay a LOT for these, and that they probably won’t even sound that great. If nothing else, is having to have each speaker near a wall socket so that it can plug into the wall really any better than just having to run speaker wire? More than likey at least one speaker wouldn’t even be near a socket in which case you’d have to run an extension cord or something, which is WAY more obnoxious than speaker wire. And what about the latency? If the speakers aren’t connected to each other, how can you make sure that they are in sync with each other? Can you imagine listening to a 5.1 system where every speaker is off from the others by 20-100ms?

I could see this as maybe a spare set of speakers for the decking or something, maybe, but then again I really can’t think of a situation where it would be better to just run the damn wire and get speakers that give you more bang/buck.

Back