decisions decisions

IanSMK

Weaksauce
hi, i need to upgrade, i basically need to get a mobo ram processor and video card

EVGA 7900 gtx, 2 gigs of corsair ram, a 940D and a high end intel motherboard

but is this stupid? i mean i was going to wait for the CONROE but now its getting all complicated, do i have to get a certain type of ram if i get a conroe? and when it comes out at "hopefully" The end of july, are they going to sell out immediately? i mean is it worth the frustration of having to wait for the backorders and whatnot as opposed to the system i listed above? my plan was to hold onto the system above and than if the games got much crazier in 2 years, adding another 2 gigs of ram and adding another 7900gtx... the PC i am going to use is primarily for gaming...but am i really selling myself short if i dont wait for the conroe PC's and motherboards become the standard

i need the PC for gaming and video editing and schoolwork

games : quake wars, battlefield 2, fear,

the pentium d will be fine. if you keep waiting and waiting, you will never buy anything because new technology is always on the horizon. pentium d's are getting so cheap, its almost economical to buy one. all you need for conroe is ddr2 ram and compatable motherboard, you can choose between the 975 intel, or msi offers one now.

Wait for the Conroe.... future proof as a mofo... because honestly, those things look like they have some great headroom in them....

and yea, 940D instead of Conroe is selling yourself short.... especially when they are coming at the end of July....

yeaa but its a pain in the ass, alright i guess ill keep waiting, i just wanna get a bad*** computer sooooon hahaha..., like im moving into an awesome brand new apartment, and im supposed to be ordering a new monitor with this... the whole thing is that im on a budget, now i figured i can get the mobo and processor for around 400 dollars...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121286 thats the intel board i would want for the d940, and its 200 dollars

the video card is about 500

the processor is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116239

and the ram is 2 gigs of corsair ram, either i get value or xms im not positive yet

but i mean i have seen some random pricecharts for the conroe's, but are those at all realistic? am i going to hold out for the CPU and than when i get the board in order to get the most out of the cpu i waited for do i need to spend much more cash on ram and a board? like i cant be spending 2000 dollars on all this

shoot man, im selling my pentium d 930 and asus p5wd2 premium board for 335 shipped, thats well under your 400. i also have 2 gb of ocz gold, ddr2 800. check the fs section. you can certainly build a cheap with good perf. pent. d computer nowdays.

I would say get the intel bad axe or the MSI board that can support conroe and get the cheapest pentium D you can then when you have some extra cash just drop a conroe in whenever.

yea but i would want to put new products with factory warranty's and whatnot, im tired of getting burned, i just lost my harddrive that had my whole life on it, what im saying is that if these conroe's require a lot more cash in 2 months than the parts i am looking at now, well that makes a huge difference, is the conroe for the price block im looking at outperform the d940 so much so? and will i be able to use the same mobo in 2 years if i want another conroe in the future??

all my parts have factory waranty as they are all less then 4 months old. but, conroe is going to beat pentium d by quite a large margin. if you can afford it, get good ddr2, intel 975bx and E6600. thats going to run you way more then the 500, but it will be a good setup.

I'm in the same position as the OP right now.
I need a computer, but do I build one now or wait till end of July (assuming it will be at the end of July).

If I was to build one now, it will most likely be the 940D.
If I was to wait, I'd probably opt for the E6600 (which will be more than what the 940's are going for now).

My main concern is, I do not overclock, will the E6600 still benefit me?
Will it be worth the wait?

yes. look at the benchmarks. The E6600 at stock can compete and beat an FX-62. Wait for a i965 chipset board, NF5, or Ati 600RD chipset motherboards. All conroe compatible. It's worth the wait.

Back