Decommission an old Exchange Box

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Anything I need to know to remove an Exchange Box from a working Server 2008 environment?

Basically our email is being hosted elsewhere but I still have my exchange box up and running (it's been sitting there doing nothing for the last 3 years. LOL).

What is the "proper" way of removing it from AD without messing things up?

Typically, make sure EVERYTING is off of it, dismount and remove the database and uninstall Exchange (I'd archive off the DB, just in case). You're on the right track. You can't just kill it and disconnect it from the network. As part of the uninstall process, Exchange removes its hooks into AD. What version are we talking about?

Typically, make sure EVERYTING is off of it, dismount and remove the database and uninstall Exchange (I'd archive off the DB, just in case). You're on the right track. You can't just kill it and disconnect it from the network. As part of the uninstall process, Exchange removes its hooks into AD. What version are we talking about?

As said as long as it sucessfully uninstalls and cleans up after itself you should be fine.

Back