Dedicated Headphone Amp - Controlling Volume?

Deeky

Gawd
Heya [H]. I have a pair of Denon low impedance cans plugged into a the dedicated headphone amp on my Auzentech HTHD. The issue is, there appears to be no way to control the volume of the headphone amp jack when the phones are not in use. I run my speakers at 50%, but that results in the cans being crazy loud. If I kill the speakers, I can hear them from across the room. I can mute the speakers when the headphone is connected, but can I somehow mute the headphones when they are not in use? Since the amp connection is on the rear I/O of the card, it's a hassle to plug/unplug the phones everytime; it's just not practical. I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.

Extension cord with an analog volume control (i.e. inline pot)?

Hmm. Yeah. I wonder what the shortest length is? I was hoping not to add any additional cable ... already way too long as it is. Too bad there's no software option to mute the headphone out (at least, not that I can find).

Another way you can crack this nut is with something like a Behringer HA400 (or indeed, any other desktop headphone amp). I can't attest to what it would do to the signal though...

I'd probably opt for the inline pot before messing with an additional amp. I really dig the amp on the Auzen, I certainly don't require a preamp situation as the cans are already mad loud. With just the Auzen amp, I gotta tone the main volume down to 15% or risk nuking my inner ear.

My worry with the extension is creating some kind of a SQ "bottleneck". Here I have these great headphones will nice, thick braced cables ... and I'm gonna stick a $7 extension on there? I dunno. Probably nothing to worry about. I'm NOT the guy who buys Monster cables, but it does concern me.

Probably a silly question, but can't you just control the volume in Windows (or whatever OS you are using).

Looking at the card, I imagine you are connecting your speakers through the D-Sub adapter? Does the list of playback devices in your OS show the headphone out (since its dedicated, I imagine it should)? If so, you can just mute that device anytime you don't need it. Though, I don't know of a way to do this automatically.

Running Win7. If there's an output in the OS to mute or disable, I haven't been able to find it. It's not listed under Playback devices, even with disabled devices displayed. Nadda. Nothing in the Auzen console launcher, nothing obvious at least. Still looking ........

The headphones are not actually connected via the d-sub. There's a dedicated stereo mini for the cans on the back panel, complete with it's own onboard amp.

Last edited:
Running Win7. If there's an output in the OS to mute or disable, I haven't been able to find it. It's not listed under Playback devices, even with disabled devices displayed. Nadda. Nothing in the Auzen console launcher, nothing obvious at least. Still looking ........

Hrm. So if I were to guess, the Playback devices listed are just Speakers, SPDIF Out, and probably HDMI Out?

The headphones are not actually connected via the d-sub. There's a dedicated stereo mini for the cans on the back panel, complete with it's own onboard amp.

Umm, I know that. That's why I asked if the SPEAKERS are connected to the D-sub adapter.

Hrm. So if I were to guess, the Playback devices listed are just Speakers, SPDIF Out, and probably HDMI Out?

Correct.

Umm, I know that. That's why I asked if the SPEAKERS are connected to the D-sub adapter.

Apologies. Misread. Yes, my speakers (front, rear and sub) are connected via the d-sub.

Just discovered in an Auzen Bravura 7.1 review that headphones appear as an output selection under Entertainment mode. Doesn't say anything about Game mode. Different card, yes, but maybe I can make changes to the volume there (and hopefully they stick when I switch modes). I'll check it out when I get home.

Huh. Nope. No love on the Entertainment mode. I'm starting to think the inline volume control is the only financially viable solution short of unplugging the cans each and every time (which is free!).

Back