Default Got problems w/ my Geforce 8800 GT

NeoThoR

Gawd
This is just getting stupid.

So I have a Dell comp.. w/ 2gigs of ram, Athlon 64 4400+ and onboard video (why!?!?!?!?!?!)

So I ordered a Geforce 8800 GT..

I noticed when I installed it that my PSU wasn't big enough. So I installed a 500w one.

I go into playing games and it's basically the same as before. Low frames.. etc

So I reboot.. still does it. So I then decide to get rid of Vista and go back to XP.. Just gave me an excuse to get rid of Vista for a fresh install.

Anyways... go through all the format, drivers, etc etc

I reboot after all my drivers are good to go. And I get this pop up from windows saying it has slowed down my video card because its not getting enough power. So I'm like.. ok, maybe its the PSU. So I go buy a new one.. and the same damn thing is happening.

I got my bios set to PCI-E and everything hooked up.

Anyone have ANY CLUE why it's doing this?

8800GT requires 28-22A(depending on manufacturer) on the +12v rail(s) and that PSU is rated at +18A. Your PSU is mostly likely the cause based on that info.

8800GT requires 28-22A(depending on manufacturer) on the +12v rail(s) and that PSU is rated at +18A. Your PSU is mostly likely the cause based on that info.

im lookin at alot of different psu's.. and none of them have 22A

i might be sound dumb, but did you plug in the pcie 6 pin power connecter from your PSU to your 8800GT card, right? :eek:

because the Antech psu he posted has 2, 12v rails each with 18amps.

i might be sound dumb, but did you plug in the pcie 6 pin power connecter from your PSU to your 8800GT card, right? :eek:

because the Antech psu he posted has 2, 12v rails each with 18amps.

I tought the card would not even start if theres not 6Pin plugged. Mb hes using an adaptor ?

Here are the specs to my PSU.. is that enough for my graphics card?
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23500
That PSU (if it's fully functional) is powerful enough to run a 8800GT (even if it's an Antec BasiqPower... look at my sig LOL). I've seen a few similar posts with your problem, usually changing (RMA) the video card solved it. So, please try that 8800GT in another system. ;)
If I understand correct, with the old PSU you had that low power warning message ?

@ MattWeb: that 28-22A requirement is for the entire system, not for the card ! :p
(hellooo 28A×12V=336 W - there isn't a video card with so high power requirement yet...)

off topic but would the card power on at all without the cable? I dont have one and am wondering if someone could try it for me.

If you have a single 12V line, it needs to provide at least 22A according to Nvidia. I've sucessfully used a PSU with only 20A on the 12V line with my system.

The PSU in the link has *two* 12V lines of 18A each which is more than enough. Don't waste any more money on PSU's and don't believe in every error message you see on the screen. Just make sure you don't connect everything to the first 12V line, or you'll overload that one while the other goes unused.

Make sure the 6-pin connector is securely connected to the videocard. Disable on-board graphics in BIOS.

Back