Defective Sapphire 6870 from Newegg (not happy)

h41cyon

Weaksauce
So I jumped on a sapphire 6870 from newegg couple of weeks ago for 239.99 and was pretty happy I got one before they went out of stock.

Took the card home and it was clearly defective with strange green sparkling artifacting (tried driver/os alternatives). The card was bunk.

So Newegg rocks in that they covered the shipping costs back to Newegg and would send another Sapphire card out when they got my old one.

Problem was this, when they got my card back, there were no other Sapphire 6870's in stock and the price had risen to 254.99.

In the last email they sent me they stated,
"Lastly, if your RMA type is repair/replacement and the item(s) is not in stock when the RMA is received and processed, the out-of-stock merchandise will be refunded back to you for the product's current market value."

To me, this sounded like they would refund me "THE CURRENT MARKET VALUE", but in newegg speak that means the "PAST MARKET VALUE WHEN YOU FIRST PAID FOR THE CARD", aka, I got my original 239.99 back (no longer enough to buy even the cheapest 6870 on their site).

So, now whenever the next sapphire 6870 get's back in stock, I'll have paid whatever the current price is (254.99 or more??) plus shipping, plus shipping for the first defective one.

This kind of seems like I got a little screwed here. Am I wrong in thinking that? I contacted newegg and the CSR was like, 'my hands are tied, we have no control over price/supply/quality, try again later'

:(

Am I not understanding this? Were you expecting them to refund you more then what you paid? The cards went up, which sucks, but you got your money back right?

Have newegg send the card back to you.
Make a ticket to Sapphire support.
Sapphire will hook you up with their RMA here in the US, AthonMicro.

They will handle the RMA.

or

wait for newegg to restock and have them send you a new 6870.....yes maybe it will cost you 20 dollars since the price went up.:mad:

Oops........you already got a refund......not newegg's fault the price went up. They are not going to give you more than you paid.
Don't like newegg, check elsewhere.

I guess it just sucks that they automatically made it a "refund" when I would have MUCH preferred to wait until one comes back into stock versus buying a 280 dollar XFX now... :(

I guess it just sucks that they automatically made it a "refund" when I would have MUCH preferred to wait until one comes back into stock versus buying a 280 dollar XFX now... :(

Agreed.
But it may have been a long wait and at least now you can get a new card and have it soon.;)

Google HD 6870 and check the shopping, you can get a Gigabyte for $239. Since they are all reference designs, they should perform the same.

If you talk to them on the phone when you are ready to order again, they may give it to you for the original price you paid for it. They're generally pretty good about that type of stuff if you call.

Now I am slightly unhappy. My Asus 6850 is going in for RMA. Started to BSOD, swapped to my 4870, fixed it. I am wondering if running the card at 950/1200 did it, I wasn't using higher voltage.

Now I am slightly unhappy. My Asus 6850 is going in for RMA. Started to BSOD, swapped to my 4870, fixed it. I am wondering if running the card at 950/1200 did it, I wasn't using higher voltage.

what were your temps like?

Good customer service would be allowing you to purchase another card and refund the difference. Its not going to be much and it will go a long way as far as your satisfaction. Maybe call them or try to speak to a supervisor. I don't know how shitty newegg has been lately. I tend to avoid them now.

NewEgg has lots of cards, I picked up the Diamond version of this card for a total of 232.90 not long ago. Couldnt be happier.

To me, this sounded like they would refund me "THE CURRENT MARKET VALUE", but in newegg speak that means the "PAST MARKET VALUE WHEN YOU FIRST PAID FOR THE CARD", aka, I got my original 239.99 back (no longer enough to buy even the cheapest 6870 on their site).

If the current market price was lower than what you paid for it, would it have been fair to you if they refunded you less than what you paid for..

Have newegg send the card back to you.
Make a ticket to Sapphire support.
Sapphire will hook you up with their RMA here in the US, AthonMicro.

They will handle the RMA.

Except that this will cost you the shipping to AthlonMicro plus the $15 RMA fee. Suddenly, you're paying more than the Newegg price difference!

I'd rather keep this one in the Newegg camp, where they will cover shipping. So what if the price goes up? Be patient, pay the difference or buy something else.

OP you can get a PowerColor 6870 for $241 shipped after coupon TAKE5 at ewiz. Don't know much about PowerColor support, but I do know Sapphire never had the best rep around here either.

Back