Definately Loving the new ATI Tool Beta 14

Eshelon

Weaksauce
10273 3d Marks, not too shabby. It transitions from 2D / 3D settings without a hitch. It's not crashing the system when detecting max core/ mem anymore. Beautiful!

I'll have to give it a shot when I get home :)
How accurate is it's detection algorithm?

For use lazy type, why don't you include a link to the new beta in your post. :p

ScHpAnKy said:
I'll have to give it a shot when I get home :)
How accurate is it's detection algorithm?
It's actually not very good. You can see the artifacts showing up way before the program sees them. That's the only major bug I've noticed with it so far. Other than that it was a snap to find the maxes. Just gotta get close to the monitor and watch for the artifacts. You can tell when you're getting close to no-artifacts and you might need to look for a longer time. It seemed like beta 11 was seeing artifacts a lot quicker but of course it crashed a lot on the x1800xt :p

Awesome, I've been lookling for an OC utility for my new card that doesn't disable 2d/3d transition.

What did your card max out at and what were your temps like?

It does disable ATI 2d/3d transition. But it allows you to set on the fly voltage and frequency changes very similar to what the ATI Hotkey Poller service did...

plywood99 said:
It does disable ATI 2d/3d transition. But it allows you to set on the fly voltage and frequency changes very similar to what the ATI Hotkey Poller service did...

Damn, when are we going to get a decen't OC program?

I'm stuck using ATI overdrive :(

nobi125 said:

Ati Tool works very well. I use it istead of CCC Overdrive. All you have to do is setup profiles. I have a profile setup for games that runs at 700/860 for my x1900. When I start any 3d app such as games, ATT will automatically load my games profile. When I quit the game ATT sets the default profile. So it acts like Overdrive.

nobi125 said:

ATI Tool can do it, it just doesn't use the same switcher CCC uses, it uses it's own switcher.

I'm running:
2D settings at 594/693 @ 1.25 volts
3D settings at 702/801 @ 1.475 volts

Custom fan settings so that fan hits 100% at 75C and I don't go above 76C under load.

Just enable the 2d/3d switching and what's the difference? The proof is in the pudding --> 10,273 3DMarks.

Eshelon said:
ATI Tool can do it, it just doesn't use the same switcher CCC uses, it uses it's own switcher.

I'm running:

Custom fan settings so that fan hits 100% at 75C and I don't go above 76C under load.

Just enable the 2d/3d switching and what's the difference? The proof is in the pudding --> 10,273 3DMarks.

Are those the stock voltages for each mode?

Same here. All the betas so far that I've used have caused hard lockups when running 3dmark05. The same clocks work fine if I use the ATI utility to set them instead. It might be a voltage thing, I dunno, but ATI Tool used to "just work". No more. :(

If you think ATI Tool is a joy, you should try overclocking a Crossfire setup with it.

The major gripe I have with it is that it seems to only load one profile for one card at startup.

However, the voltages of one card are set for both, you can't separate them. So if like me you have a X1900XT-CF and a X1900XTX, and are going for glory on the XTX, the XT-CF gets the same voltages.

To compound that, the fan speeds are not linked at startup. So one card could have 100% fan speed and the other 9% or something like it. Remember the voltage application? I've seen 106C on the card that didn't have the fan speed set at startup.

Here's what I do at startup if I'm in the mood to use ATITool and some power:

1.set fan speed on card1
2.set fan speed on card2
3.set voltages on card1
4.confirm voltages on card2
5.overclock card1 (core & mem)
6.overclock card2 (core & mem)

Works a treat and here's some scores:

OC_prob_01.gif

(That table of figures was to explain an issue I'm having with games and 3DMark, which I posted in general vid cards but ended nowhere.)

Not the highest I've had, but I've given up on ATITool until the startup profile with crossfire is fixed and when the cards are watercooled because two cards at even 75% fan speed is too damn annoying!

Eshelon said:

Why operate in 2D mode at such high frequencies?

Lol, Guys you need to learn how to use it.

It's like overclocking on a Dfi Lanparty mobo. If you don't spend a good amount of time figuring out what each and every bios setting does, you'll have poor results.

The good thing about ATT is it gives you complete control of voltages and frequencies. The bad thing about ATT is that it gives you complete control of voltages and frequencies. Noobs or those not willing to spend the time to figure out each voltage setting need not apply.

For those folks CCC is all that is needed. But if you want the max out of your card, ATT is the only tool out that can give it to you...

plywood99 said:
Lol, Guys you need to learn how to use it.

It's like overclocking on a Dfi Lanparty mobo. If you don't spend a good amount of time figuring out what each and every bios setting does, you'll have poor results.

The good thing about ATT is it gives you complete control of voltages and frequencies. The bad thing about ATT is that it gives you complete control of voltages and frequencies. Noobs or those not willing to spend the time to figure out each voltage setting need not apply.

For those folks CCC is all that is needed. But if you want the max out of your card, ATT is the only tool out that can give it to you...
Agreed. If you're crashing with ATI Tool then it's clear you shouldn't be using it, CCC is your best option. If you're savy enough ATI Tool will give you that extra little push. For reference, using CCC the best 3DMark I ever managed was under 9k, while easily breaking 10k with ATI tool. Like I said before. The proof is in the pudding. However, if you're not savy enough, don't mess with it.

Excuse me? It's just a bit much to sit there and say "If x program is crashing then it HAS to be something you're doing". That is nonsense. Just because it works on YOUR system doesn't mean if it fails elsewhere that someone is making a mistake. That is a HUGE assumption.

Eshelon said:
Agreed. If you're crashing with ATI Tool then it's clear you shouldn't be using it, CCC is your best option. If you're savy enough ATI Tool will give you that extra little push. For reference, using CCC the best 3DMark I ever managed was under 9k, while easily breaking 10k with ATI tool. Like I said before. The proof is in the pudding. However, if you're not savy enough, don't mess with it.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. In this thread I notice 2 types of posters. Those that do not know how to overclock with ATI Tool, which makes them human not noobs or any other level of immature name calling. And, those that claim they know how to use ATI Tool but lack the necessary common sense to explain the simple process on how ATI Tool works and what you need to do to stablize your video card for oc'ing performance.

It's easy to spit out name calling, slander and insults. But it's a difficult road when you start the process of educating others and being a productive member of the ATI video card community. I suggest you think on this the next time you see an opportunity to insult those that don't know how to do something. Instead, teach those with some basic steps to using the OC tool. As I last recall, I didn't find any specific instruction from these 2 post that would help enlighten and educate those that do not know how.

Here is what I have learned using ATI Tool:
-it does a number on you vregs...ramsinks will not help alone you need a 120mm fan on top of those vregs and mosfets to help keep them cool. I have found a product that may help you achieve this Whereever PCI Rack

When using ATI Tool place the mouse over the temp readings to find out what they mean. The first one is for vregs, etc. This will help you understand how hot your VC is and what you need to do in order to cool it off.

Eastcoasthandle said:
What we have here is a failure to communicate. In this thread I notice 2 types of posters. Those that do not know how to overclock with ATI Tool, which makes them human not noobs or any other level of immature name calling. And, those that claim they know how to use ATI Tool but lack the necessary common sense to explain the simple process on how ATI Tool works and what you need to do to stablize your video card for oc'ing performance.

It's easy to spit out name calling, slander and insults. But it's a difficult road when you start the process of educating others and being a productive member of the ATI video card community. I suggest you think on this the next time you see an opportunity to insult those that don't know how to do something. Instead, teach those with some basic steps to using the OC tool. As I last recall, I didn't find any specific instruction from these 2 post that would help enlighten and educate those that do not know how.

Here is what I have learned using ATI Tool:
-it does a number on you vregs...ramsinks will not help alone you need a 120mm fan on top of those vregs and mosfets to help keep them cool. I have found a product that may help you achieve this Whereever PCI Rack

When using ATI Tool place the mouse over the temp readings to find out what they mean. The first one is for vregs, etc. This will help you understand how hot your VC is and what you need to do in order to cool it off.
No one is name calling. Please don't turn this thread into a flame fest. My only intention in starting it was to hype ATI Tool some and let folks know the new beta is working a LOT better than the last few betas, especially on the X1800 and X1900 Cards. Thanks for the tips. I'm sure some will find them very helpful. On the other hand, I'm running on stock cooling and it's doing great. But everyone's card is going to be different. Maybe extra cooling is the answer for some.

anyone care to post an overclocking guide to ATI Tool? Its giving me some grief with my X1900XT as when i create a profile all is well, but when i go to apply it later it scrambles my screen and screws things up.

Budwise said:
anyone care to post an overclocking guide to ATI Tool? Its giving me some grief with my X1900XT as when i create a profile all is well, but when i go to apply it later it scrambles my screen and screws things up.
make sure you're saving your voltage settings to the profile also. And make sure CCC is deactivated. Also make sure the voltage switcher is not loading on startup.

Edit: in fact it's probably best if you uninstall CCC all together.

i did a fresh format now and am running the Omega drivers. I disabled the Hot Key Poller, so far so good.

Eshelon said:
No one is name calling. Please don't turn this thread into a flame fest. My only intention in starting it was to hype ATI Tool some and let folks know the new beta is working a LOT better than the last few betas, especially on the X1800 and X1900 Cards.

Totally agree with Eschelon.

Fact is the x1800 and 1900 series is very new hardware. There has been tons of threads all saying the same basic things, such as.

1) CCC says my card is only running at 500/600. OH NOES...
2) I try clocking with ATI Tool and my card crashes. OH NOES...
3) Why isn't ATI Overclocker working? OH NOES...

Every one of these questions have been answered several times already in previous threads. I have answered them myself a few times, but guess what, it gets old after a while. I even made a thread on how to properly overclock these cards. How bout folks try the search funtion? Works great and you'll see just how often these same questions come up.

But why do a search, or why try to learn something yourself when you can just make thread and let someone else do the work for you...

Hilarious. It's a beta program and yet that doesn't stop people from assuming that if a person has problems then it must be something they are doing wrong. No no no, it couldn't possibly be that beta program. Totally bug free fer sure.

Yeah right.

Back