Deleting second Windows directory in Vista

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I want delete a second Windows directory in Vista SP2. Unfortunately everything I've tried does not work. I used Ultimate Boot CD with the FileSystem tools and they all come back with an unexplained error stating that some files can not be deleted.

How do I delete this second Windows directory?

Why do you have a second Windows directory and why do you need to delete it?

I think it does that if you upgrade from XP as it gives you the option to revert the install back. At least that was how it was XP upgrade. If this is why right click the drive then click properties. There is an option under disk cleanup to remove previous version of windows.

Why do you have a second Windows directory and why do you need to delete it?

I'm not quite sure exactly how it happened but the short story is that on a system restore it put the Windows directory on my other hard drive and not my C drive with another entry in my boot selection. I deleted the secondary boot selection so now I just boot into my C drive Windows but the other Windows directory is still there on my other drive that I want to delete.

You need to identify where your system partition is, and where your boot partition is.
You can see that in disk manager.
To get to the disk manager, right click on "Computer" and select "Manage".
Select "Disk Management" in the left pane.

You need to identify where your system partition is, and where your boot partition is.
You can see that in disk manager.
To get to the disk manager, right click on "Computer" and select "Manage".
Select "Disk Management" in the left pane.

The Windows directory I want to delete is on my other physical hard drive (D drive).

C drive is: System, Boot, etc...
D drive is: Active, Primary Partition

Is C active? Where is the pagefile?
Does it boot if you disconnect the other physical drive?
If not, you cannot delete it. You need to have only the main drive attached and if it does not boot, perform another repair.

Last edited:
Is C active? Where is the pagefile?
Does it boot if you disconnect the other physical drive?
If not, you cannot delete it. You need to have only the main drive attached and if it does not boot, perform another repair.

Yes, C is active. I assume I can delete the extra Windows directory since I renamed it to "Windows Delete" and my computer boots and operates just fine. I haven't tried disconnecting the drive and booting.

I was able to take ownership and delete the directory following the below information from this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

1)via folder properties go to your security tab.
2) in the bottom half you have the permissions listed for users, click the Advanced button
3) now go to the Owner tab, click Edit button (you will be asked for permision if UAC is at default)
4) change owner to your account and be sure to check the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and click Apply button. this results in all files including system files being switched to your account as owner!
5)now in the 'Advanced Security Settings for (your folder)' you need to edit the permissions: select your account (the one you just used to take ownership) and click Edit button.
6) you now see the Permissions tab and you need to again select your user account. (ensure that the permission is Full Control) check the lower 'Replace all existing inheritable permissions…' box and click Apply.

Back