Dell 2005FPW for gaming

btgman

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I know nothing about LCD displays. I need to do some reading up on. In the meantime ... I've got a mid-range gaming rig (P4P800E, P4 2.8C, 1GB DDR400, 6600GT) and I'm thinking of getting a Dell 2005FPW. How will games (Halo, HL2, Far Cry) perform on it? I have an old 17" Hyundai CRT and all my games run well on that.

Thnx

You will have to run medium quality settings in game, and sacrifice AA and AF in order to run playably at the display's native resolution. This is a limitation of your GPU's fill rate and memory capacity. It will work though, just understand that you will need to upgrade the GPU to get the most out of the display in games.

Hey Idiot :) thanks for the reply.

I figured I'd have to sacrifice some quality settings to play at it's native res. Is it possibel to use the monitor below it's native res. or will the image quality be awful?

Cheers

This seems to be a subjective matter. Personally I think think the 2005FPW does a good job interpolating lower resolutions. Then again if you're used to a CRT you may find LCD interpolation to be lacking in general. IMO things won't look "terrible" but depending on how picky you are, you may find yourself annoyed with running an LCD outside of its native res in general. As I said before this seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Well I just sent back one of my 6600gts because I have an ultra on the way and frankly i did not miss a beat in CS anyway. She dropped to 74 FPS from 117 (in the stress test)but i was able to keep high settings, reflect world at 1680x1050 but no AA and frankly i did not even notice the lack of AA since i was too busy capping the enemy. Have fun dude

jacuzz1 said:
Well I just sent back one of my 6600gts because I have an ultra on the way and frankly i did not miss a beat in CS anyway. She dropped to 74 FPS from 117 (in the stress test)but i was able to keep high settings, reflect world at 1680x1050 but no AA and frankly i did not even notice the lack of AA since i was too busy capping the enemy. Have fun dude

can cs be played in half that res? Like 840x525?

Cheers guys, some interesting feedback.

I guess the 2005FPW would be a sound investment for the future. I guess taking a drop in quality settings until I upgrade to a better graphics card wouldn;t be so bad.

Any1 else been gaming with a 6600GT on a 2005FPW? What's the verdict?

btgman said:
Cheers guys, some interesting feedback.

I guess the 2005FPW would be a sound investment for the future. I guess taking a drop in quality settings until I upgrade to a better graphics card wouldn;t be so bad.

Any1 else been gaming with a 6600GT on a 2005FPW? What's the verdict?

Not a 6600, but a 9800 pro 128 here and it runs fine if a turn some detail down to medium and no aa or aniso @1680x1050.

jay

I have a 6600GT running native resolution on the LCD with 74 fps as well. Here are my specs

MSI Geforce 6600 GT (550/1100)
Asus P4G8X Deluxe
Intel 3.06 Ghz
2 gig DDR 333

No AA. HL2 runs perfectly.

MSI 6600GT AGP and 2005FPW.

I play the following games: HL:2, CS:S, LotR:BfmE, and WoW.

All I can say is WOW :p . I was thinking widescreen would make everything streched out but I was wrong. Everything looks better. The funny thing is all games support the native resolution (1600x1050). Picture looks AMAZING! I say that because I'm coming of a Viewsonic 17' P75f+b (an excellent 17incher) and a MSI GF 5700Ultra. Some people experience ghosting, I can say that I have NOT seen any or have not noticed it. Response time is amazing.

I was in the same boat as you btgman deciding weather to make the shift to LCD. I was hesistant at first but when I saw the price at $521 shippped I was sold! Trust me if you are planning on doing so you won't regret it. I know I haven't :D .

btgman said:
Hey guys,

I know nothing about LCD displays. I need to do some reading up on. In the meantime ... I've got a mid-range gaming rig (P4P800E, P4 2.8C, 1GB DDR400, 6600GT) and I'm thinking of getting a Dell 2005FPW. How will games (Halo, HL2, Far Cry) perform on it? I have an old 17" Hyundai CRT and all my games run well on that.

Thnx
as long as you dont get a sucky panel, your games will run fine. youre probably going to have to return it a few times, though. id suggest looking around at a different monitor. but as long as you get one w/o dead pixels and minimal backlight leakage, then its a great monitor for gaming.

I'm really tempted to get one of these monitors, I'm really concerned about graphics performance at that native resolution though. How is performance for those of you out there? I still can't decide between getting one of these monitors, or getting a lower priced one and picking up a x800xt or an ultra.

Only problem is I can't have both the 2005fpw or x800xt/ultra...

Borealis said:
I'm really tempted to get one of these monitors, I'm really concerned about graphics performance at that native resolution though. How is performance for those of you out there? I still can't decide between getting one of these monitors, or getting a lower priced one and picking up a x800xt or an ultra.

Only problem is I can't have both the 2005fpw or x800xt/ultra...

i feel ya...

the 2005fpw obviously suits best with the best videocard in the market. but a good one like my 6800nu should do just fine. it'll be a comprimise though...but ask yourself, is this strickly for gaming? if it is, perhaps a 19" or 17" lcd with a native resolution of 1280x1024 *may* still be the better route, if you want the most eye candy with the best performance.

running at 1680x1050 on games really drags down the performance. and though the 2005fpw does an excellent job scaling, running at nonnative resolution sometimes just wont cut it (though there will be certain instances where scaling defects are less noticeable).

but widescreen gaming does have it's benefits, it's new, cool, sexy, and feels natural to the eye. but some games still does not support ws gaming (EA games for example).

what i went with was a 2005fpw and a 6800nu. i went this ruote because i watch dvds just as much as i game. and i dont regret my decision at all. widescreen feels a lot nicer and look it too.

another question to ask yourself is how often do you change displays? for me, almost never...very rarely, my next upgrade probably wont be till oled or an lcd that doesn't ghost at all. graphics card on the otherhand, come and go like nobody's business...so by investing $500 on the videocard, a year from now, you might regret it since graphics card drops much greater in price during a shorter period of time.

btgman said:
Hey guys,

Thnx

depends on the settings. on high @ native, i suspect it will struggle in certain spots of the game...and you will probably have to say good bye to AA and stuff.

but for the most part, it'll do the job. i suspect this wont be the case sometime from now when new games come out though.

the games will run nowhere as smooth as it did on your 17" crt though.

Most of the newer REVA01 monitors made in January and February are quite good. Mine had some backlight leakage, but I returned it because I was picky. Now that I look at mine, the leakage isn't really that bad. I did get lucky with no dead pixels though.

BTW, if you need a replacement, emailing them at [email protected] is a fast and easy way. The Indian tech support guys have an accent in speech, but they write English with no problems.

Give them these details to streamline the replacement process:

Name of person to contact:
Address (No PO Boxes):
City/State/Zip:
Area Code & Phone Number:
Cell Phone Number:
Company Name (if SB):

Order Number:
Serial Number (on the back of the monitor):

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty tempted and I think I'm gonna go for it. I like to go for quality with speakers and monitor etc. I think the 2005FPW will be a good investment, I think my rig can handle games well enough until I upgrade, I also watch lots of DVDs so it'll be a bonus to have widescreen. Watching movies on a 17" crt sucks.

Thanks for all the input guys.

ufot said:
can cs be played in half that res? Like 840x525?

i dont know i never tried. I dont see the point of doing so. I am able to game competitively on the servers. typicaly rank in the 30's out of 3000 players. Top 3 on most servers as long as i have the correct balance of Barley and Hops going.

i play alot of CSS on my 2005FPW at 1280x768 res because my 9600XT cant handle 1680x1050. anyway it looks fine. i also play alot of FT on it at 1280x1024...its cropped on both sides but its all around still pretty good. the mouse feel is a bit different as compared to my old CRT (probably because of the refresh rate difference) but its fine. if i ever get more serious about CSS im probably going to pick up another 19" CRT so i can run it at 1024x768 with higher refrest rates and what not but for casual and semi competitive play id say an LCD is fine.

Back