Dell 2007WFP Specs NOW POSTED

PVA is slower than IPS. But it has advantages such as black levels. I'll take a PVA over S-IPS any day.

So all they did was update the 'case'? Switching to PVA is interesting, but I find it awfully hard to believe that that was all they did with all the advances in LCD panels since the 2005 was released. Hopefully reviews will reveal some more positive information.

versello said:
Hot-linking is bad! :D

So is quoting a post with three large pictures, leaving the pictures intact, and then replying with less than a sentence that adds nothing to the thread.

Dell has the 2005 for $396.75 right now. So I guess it's the right time to pick up the old one for a nice discount if the new one doesn't look worth it.

saltiness said:
Dell has the 2005 for $396.75 right now. So I guess it's the right time to pick up the old one for a nice discount if the new one doesn't look worth it.
I suppose you could pick one up for the next <21 days (Dell policy) and return it if the new 2007WFP does indeed look superior (and worth the extra $$$). I've just held off on the 2005FPW because of the notorious backlight bleedthrough problems noted in other threads here.

I had my cursor hovering over the submit order button for a 2005 but alas, I'm going to wait for the 2007. Lots of people seem disappointed with it but from what I hear PVA is better for my purposes (graphic design) and the updated case is sexy. I just wish those cheaper Viewsonic 20" widescreens could do portrait so I wouldn't have to deal with the Dell madness.

Did anyone mention when the 20007WFP is going to be available to buy. The 2005 is tempting with its low price. Although I like the new look for the 2007 but frankly the 16ms response time really has me worried. And I hope its going to have HDCP support for when VISTA comes out.

I have a feeling that the 2005WFP is cheap right now because Dell wants to get rid of them and make space for the new 2007WFP.

HoodooGuru said:
I've just held off on the 2005FPW because of the notorious backlight bleedthrough problems noted in other threads here.
For every person's plight you read, there's another 20 that have had no issues.

I bought two back in July and the only thing wrong is the one I put on my desk does have a very slight backlight bleed. The other one is perfect.

That and they're a little small. :D

If the 2007WFP really has a 16ms response time im going to be severely dissapointed. And I will probably get the 2005 instead because a downgrade would be unacceptable for a new version of that monitor.

I believe it is black-to-white, though I'm not certain on this. I would bet that the g-to-g will be better than the current 2005FPW performance. Maybe 8ms?

saltiness said:
I had my cursor hovering over the submit order button for a 2005 but alas, I'm going to wait for the 2007. Lots of people seem disappointed with it but from what I hear PVA is better for my purposes (graphic design) and the updated case is sexy. I just wish those cheaper Viewsonic 20" widescreens could do portrait so I wouldn't have to deal with the Dell madness.

For graphic design, PVA is probably the worst you can get. The gain you have in the levels of black is equal to the loss you get in color reproduction. But, the worst part is viewing angle. You cannot even move your head a little without change of colors and contrast. If you read a little on Mac forums, you'll get the idea... ;)
With PVA, you'll never be sure of the final result after editing or designing a picture.

Check this out also (2005fpw (s-ips) vs. 2405fpw (pva, left picture)):
3.jpg
Link

Ummagumma said:
For graphic design, PVA is probably the worst you can get. The gain you have in the levels of black is equal to the loss you get in color reproduction. But, the worst part is viewing angle. You cannot even move your head a little without change of colors and contrast. If you read a little on Mac forums, you'll get the idea... ;)
With PVA, you'll never be sure of the final result after editing or designing a picture.

Check this out also (2005fpw (s-ips) vs. 2405fpw (pva, left picture)):
3.jpg
Link

Ahh, very interesting. That's only what I've heard but from your picture it definitely looks like IPS is the way to go. Thanks.

Glad I could help. :) I can understand your confusion here. There are "!!!!!!s" defending their toys on forums, some misunderstandings that grow larger and people still think its an honest world we live in. Panel manufacturers are not the most honest, trustworthy source either. link Reviewers come cheaper then that fine ;)
If you look down the link I gave you in the previous post, you'll see the experience other graphical designers have from going S-IPS -> PVA. For those people, picture quality is crucial and its their job to produce best possible designs. Their screens are a tool, not a toy.
About 2 weeks ago, I wrote about adding myself to the group of happy Dell display users; time to update my situation.
After ordering the Dell 2005 FPW, I was pleasantly surprised at its quality; being very similar to the 20” ACD, which I also have. I went on to order the 24” Dell as an alternative to the 23” ACD based on the quality to price ratio of the 20” Dell.
After a full week of use, I will be returning the Dell 2405 FPW. Using it in a commercial photo studio as a display for digital captures, it was intended to allow myself and clients to view composition, lighting, etc. of the set.
I found the Dell to be very poor viewed at angles left or right of center. Clients and stylists would regularly comment on the “washed out” look until I directed them to stand directly in front of the display, at which point it they’d say “ looks great”. Even after calibration with the Coloreyes system and it showing a very respectable delta E, there were several saturated color items that were not displayed anywhere near the “real” color.
Based on my own use and expectations, I would not recommend the Dell 2405 FPW to anyone working in a demanding visual content based environment. BUT the Dell 2005FPW I would continue to recommend with the only suggestion that it be calibrated before use by visual professionals.

Well, I did it. Just ordered a 2005 for $392.50 (hurray for San Francisco tax!). Hopefully I get a good one, wish me luck!

Ummagumma said:
Glad I could help. :) I can understand your confusion here. There are "!!!!!!s" defending their toys on forums, some misunderstandings that grow larger and people still think its an honest world we live in. Panel manufacturers are not the most honest, trustworthy source either. link Reviewers come cheaper then that fine ;)
If you look down the link I gave you in the previous post, you'll see the experience other graphical designers have from going S-IPS -> PVA. For those people, picture quality is crucial and its their job to produce best possible designs. Their screens are a tool, not a toy.
Exactly thats my therory behind researching what to buy for video/audio products. Buy pro tools for toys!
:D

kubebot said:
Exactly thats my therory behind researching what to buy for video/audio products. Buy pro tools for toys!
:D

Good one!:D Problems usually appear when you start buying pro toys for tools! :p ;)

I had one of these cross my desk this morning. When the monitor is turned on, it goes through it's startup, shows the desktop for a second or two, then loses power and restarts. I'm suspecting power supply. Anyone know how to take one of these apart? It's not a simple front-back clamshell.

I managed to get the thing apart. Looking at the components, and I don't see anything obvious. No ruptured or bulging capacitors. Four boards though, power, USB and sound, video and backlighting. Lots of stuff to look for. I'll probably never spot the issue.

Doing some looking, it's cheaper to buy an entire replacement monitor than it is to order replacement parts, so dead means dead.

Lay off. I asked the question because the monitor in question is the same model as the title of the thread. The age of the thread is irrelevant. If threads aren't supposed to be added to after a certain age, they should be lockable.

Doing some looking, it's cheaper to buy an entire replacement monitor than it is to order replacement parts, so dead means dead.

Lay off. I asked the question because the monitor in question is the same model as the title of the thread. The age of the thread is irrelevant. If threads aren't supposed to be added to after a certain age, they should be lockable.

What he said! There are an abbundance of asshats here.

Back