Dell 2008WFP - another TN

There are different types of IPS panels.

The ones used in TV are quite average and uasually have viewing angle below 100o. However, quality IPS panels are bloody expensive to make. In the UK, the Panasonic 32" XD700 has an very high quality IPS Alpha panel. The cost of the TV is similar to 42-50" plasmas and 37/40" 1080p LCDs .I've seen the set my self and amazed by its quality.

The point here is, to make a large screen S-IPS that can beat similar sized S-PVA would very expensive and pointless (take a good lesson from invading TN panels, or just imagine the cost of a 42" 720p/1080p IPS-Alpha panel)

I dont quite know why small scale S-PVA panels suck tbh but in the TV market, they rule.

I dont quite know why small scale S-PVA panels suck tbh but in the TV market, they rule.

I've found that S-PVA's color shifting issues are much less noticeable if you sit a good distance away from the monitor. Computer users have to sit pretty close to their monitors while TV viewers tend to sit pretty far away, so that might be one explanation.

That applies to all monitors, inc IPS. So that cant be it

I have seen the R74 40" Samsung pretty close and the image was quite perfect from all angles. Motion handling and the color quality were also very good for a TV that size.

PS: It was showing a demo of PGR3;)

I've found that S-PVA's color shifting issues are much less noticeable if you sit a good distance away from the monitor. Computer users have to sit pretty close to their monitors while TV viewers tend to sit pretty far away, so that might be one explanation.

Yes I agree the further away you get the smaller angular changes are, but that won't make PVA better than IPS and I read the same complaints about PVA screens on AVSforum as I have witnessed myself on PVA also one of my friends describes the viewing angles on his wifes parents Sony LCD TV as having terrible viewing angles and he thinks the sharp my friend has is fine. So between Nielo and everything else I read, my friends have witnessed, I am not swayed by Nielos PVA support.

So I will form my own opinion when I TV shop, but back to Computer monitors: VA of any flavor is the last thing I would buy. Why keep mentioning TV's when we are talking monitors. It is like saying Ford makes better trucks when I am shopping for a small sports cars and am looking at an MX-5.

If you're in a market for a TV, go with plasma. Its a little more effort but with the reward.
I couldn't agree more...beats lcd, dlp as far as pure picture quality. The key word though is "TV" as many people use them for pc monitors in which case an lcd would be better..

edit- back to the original subject....I have a Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) and recently a NEC 20WMGX2. With both companies taking a step backwards (imo) for the new generation I won't be upgrading until both conk out on me or better stuff is available. Hopefully overall sales for this gneration will agree with me and send a strong message to these companies..

theres no way that is replacing the 2007wfp. It has no adjustability except for tilt, it doesnt have any multimedia inputs such as svideo, composite etc.

Relax, they will probably introduce a higher priced, higher end line of monitors in order to properly separate those of us who demand more from our cash. Did you really think they would keep giving away S-IPS monitors after seeing what people were willing to go through to get that type of panel?

Relax, they will probably introduce a higher priced, higher end line of monitors in order to properly separate those of us who demand more from our cash. Did you really think they would keep giving away S-IPS monitors after seeing what people were willing to go through to get that type of panel?

Doubtful. The 2007wfp will likely be discontinued when Dell looks at the sales of 2008wfp, e207, and sees the 2007wfp in distant third spot it will confirm what every manufacturer knows: Cheap trumps all. The grand race to the bottom.

The new NEC WMGX line was recently announced with 20" and 22" TN panels. S-IPS is just about dead now for anything but professional applications.

Higher priced and "higher end" maybe but the number of people who know what S-IPS is and actively seek them out is barely a blip on the sales chart. If the vast majority of consumers wanted S-IPS then makers would be falling all over themselves to put them in their monitors and tout it as a "feature" in their marketing. The fact is...the majority of the buying public doesn't know or even care about different panel types (and most manufacturers would like to keep it that way) and simply want a monitor that looks good and has the right price. Like the gentleman above alluded to...people like us will have to go out of the mainstream and pay a little more to get what we want in the near future.:(

Doubtful. The 2007wfp will likely be discontinued when Dell looks at the sales of 2008wfp, e207, and sees the 2007wfp in distant third spot it will confirm what every manufacturer knows: Cheap trumps all. The grand race to the bottom.

The new NEC WMGX line was recently announced with 20" and 22" TN panels. S-IPS is just about dead now for anything but professional applications.

That's truly unfortunate news.

So basically the SP2008WFP is crap and dont buy it? I need a new 20" for work and i like the look and want to game some on it...... but if this is so bad...? but i dont want to drop $399 on a 2007W series.

well its still a shame, i mean one day when my 2007wfp breaks and i need dell to replace it, it would have been nice to get a superior product (assuming they dont give me the same model refurbished).

OMG U GUYS ARE NOOBS!!! TN PWNS YOU BECAUSE ITS FAST! FAST IS BETTER!

P.S. my name is RoachTheWarHero

Back