Dell 22" Widescreen LCD + MacBook Pro Resolution problems

D4rkside

Limp Gawd
So I wasn't really sure where to put this thread but I think it fits best here. I seem to be having a problem getting a decent resolution out of my 22" Dell LCD (model # SP2208WFP).

My current setup: I have my MacBook Pro, BootCamped and Running Windows Vista Home Premium (x32 bit), connected via DVI to this Dell LCD Display, as a secondary display. Now, I can max out the resolution on my MBP screen at 1440 x 900, however, my LCD (which should be able to go higher than that) caps out at 1024 x 768, and thus looks God awful. Now, when I'm running this same setup, but in OS X (Leopard) I can push much, much higher resolutions with this monitor (forget the actual numbers, but enough to make me happy). Why can I not get a higher resolution with this in Vista? The monitor can clearly handle higher resolutions...

And BTW the MBP is running the stock nVidia 8600M GT card.

Any help on how I might be able to up my resolution would be greatly appreciated...I find it hard to believe there's a flaw in Vista that prevents secondary displays from having a decent resolution...I know the OS has it's problems but come on :p

It's not Vista doing that, check for updated display drivers directly from Nvidia

It's not Vista doing that, check for updated display drivers directly from Nvidia

nVidia does not provide laptop drivers (or drivers for mobile products.)

Where you need to go is here: http://laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20759
I have a similar setup except I am using Vista 64bit on my MBP, with a 2005fpw @ 1680x1050.

That link will take you to the drivers you're looking for. Basically they're hacked drivers with modified INF's to be properly recognized via Windows (Vista in this case.) They also have drivers for XP for those reading this thread and want better drivers for their laptops.

Back