Dell 2405fpw VS. Samsung 243T - Dell has Lag!!

Tasc said:
I just got a Samsung 244t (24" 8ms 1900x1200) and guess what, it has the lag too. This may not be that suprising since it supposively uses the same panel as the 2405, but this isn't just a dell issue. I hooked up a crt in clone mode on the dualhead (7800gt) to compare and the delay is very apparent.

I did just try doing the force refresh rate trick to 100hz, and that definitely seems to help with the mouse sluggishness on the desktop.

Interesting, can you do the clone again and run a timer/game and take some screenshots with a digicam? The 2405 has roughly a 40-50 ms lag shown in running digital clocks.

Navy

Very good and interesting test. I have had my 2405FPW for 4 days as well and have not noticed any difference from my previous 2001FP in terms of lag. I don't play FPS, just some SC and WC3 and they seemed ok to me. I also watch movies on this panel and again I didn't notice any lag. I am using it connected to a 7800GT on the DVI port closest to the motherboard, which supposedly is the dual-link one, don't think it makes any difference, but just in case.

Sorry, already sent it back, looks like I'm gonna be on a crt for awhile longer. I don't know if this problem is more pronounced on larger lcd screens, but I didn't notice this "delay" at all on my REALLY old samsung 151v (15").

Here is a link to another post on the subject that includes a video of the delay, this is exactly what I was experiencing on the 244t:

http://weblogs.asp.net/ryanw/archive/2004/09/23/233681.aspx

Looks like Iam sticking with CRT aswell, Iam allready putting cash towards an SED display.

i really dont believe, its really an issue with the lcd monitor, upgrade your video card. I dont believe a ati9600xt has enough juice to power that high of a resolution. downscale your stuff and then compare

I agree. I have no lag on my samsung 244T.
I've used the Dell and did not see any either.
They were both running in DVI with x800 or graphic cards.

I have a VS VX924, 19" 3ms, is there any test I can do on it for comparson reasons? I have a 22" CTR I can run Clone mode on as well

I had a 243T for about a year and half. I just sold it to get the 2405fpw. Whe I first got my 2405 I had both up on my desk so I could also see first hand the results.

I have a 7800gt dual DVI out. I mirrored the screens so I could see exactly what was going on on both screens. I played movies on both, games on both, etc.

I can tell you WITHOUT question that the 243t had considerably more ghosting than the 2405. I dont know where this guy is coming from, but if you analyzed both monitor this much I am almost certain you have a defective monitor.

Everyone I asked said the 2405 was easier on the eyes for movies, games, etc.

Not to mention the 2405 is quite a bit brighter, the colors pop more, and is much more pleasant to use.

The only thing the 243t had over the 2405 is that the colors were a little more accurate.

So if youre a hard core graphics designer or photo editor stick with the 243t, otherwise get the 2405, its a much better screen.

Remember, not everything you read on the internet is true, and this is a perfect example.

Not to mention you tested both of these on VGA. That's like buying a Viper and putting regular gas in it and saying "This didnt perform as well as it should have." Well no shit.

ben johnson said:
I can tell you WITHOUT question that the 243t had considerably more ghosting than the 2405. I dont know where this guy is coming from, but if you analyzed both monitor this much I am almost certain you have a defective monitor.
Read the first post again. It's about the 2405 having few ms picture delay comparing to the other, not ghosting. He did say that the 2405 has less bluring/ghosting.

Eagle156 said:
Sorry this is a bit OT but how do you calibrate using that gamma2point0 thing? Reduce the RGB values until it blends in? I'm trying to calibrate a Samsung 940b and this seems like a good tool to calibrate it with, although I'm confused on how to calibrate with it.
Does anyone know??

I've recently bought a 214t, and it has the same lagging problem as the 244t and the Dell. This monitor is great, but this lag bugs me to hell. I am using video editing applications and this problem just renders them unusable, out of sync all the time. A friend of mine has just brought his 244t back to the store because of the same problem. The lag made playing his fps games unusable on his Radeon and using the mouse was just a distress. It's a shame these monitors get sold with such problems. In its price range it's just unacceptable. Another strangeness is my friend's 244t was - according to his reports - free from the lagging problem when coupled with a Quadro4 in his other PC. He took it back to the seller for a refund regardless since he didn't have the time and the willingness to toy around with several configurations just to try debug his new LCD.

I still have some vague hope left about eliminating this serious flaw, but i'm afraid i'l have to get rid of this otherwise nice piece of hardware by either selling it or have it replaced with a good 21" crt...

I made a post regarding this input lag on the 244t here clicky

It goes into depth about how I tested and has pictures at the end showing the results. In short the samsung 244t has 15ms more delay than the Dell 2405.

docmal said:
I made a post regarding this input lag on the 244t here clicky

It goes into depth about how I tested and has pictures at the end showing the results. In short the samsung 244t has 15ms more delay than the Dell 2405.

humm, i've read your report and it does worry me alot becuase i was almost certain that i would get the 244T to replace my good old 19inch Sony CPD-G420 CRT after having it for 5years.
anyways....... my brother owns a Dell 2405 FPW and while he was overseas for the last month i have been using it for few weeks and i was very happy with it.. Now i don't play much
FPS games now (if any) i mostly only play WOW and Warcraft3 and probably won't touch any FPS games in a while.....

after reading many posts reguarding the input lag.... some ppl have reported that it could be fixed (or at least cure) by changing some settings such as bringing down the hardware acceleration of the display card a notch down.. etc etc... have you actually tried those methods and perform a input lag tests with those LCDs?
now if it still doesn't help.. and since i can't really find a place where i can test out the LCDs before i buy them..

i guess i will give up on the samsung 244t and just wait for the Dell 2407 FPW if it performs the same or better than the 2405FPW (since i have at least used the 2405 i would be certain that it will be good enough for me, plus it would most likely be few hundred AUD dollars cheaper for my location)

Damn digital signal processing... keyword: process. A process takes time.

I think we found a situation where nothing will beat analog. ;)

I'm going to try to return this LCD and go back to CRT. The Correct Way(TM).

Back