Dell 2407 vs. Apple 23 Cinema Display…

Bacillus

Limp Gawd
I’ve narrowed my choices down to these two. The Dell is better in the features (i.e. more inputs, VESA compliant out of the box, warranty, size) as well as the cost. The specs on the Dell are also higher – but manufactures testing regiments are not the same AFAIK – so I don’t give the slight difference much consideration.

The thing that has me worried is that the Dell might have color and brightness shifts more than the Apple. I need my screen in portrait view for a medical reason – and I’m willing to pay slightly more to have the best screen, or nearly so, in portrait view. A few months ago, I started using a Dell 1907FP, and I do notice shifting horizontally – but then again it’s a different technology than the two monitors I’m now looking at, so I really cannot make a decision either way based on this experience. My cost for the Apple, w/ VESA adapter would be a little less than 1000$ (w/ tax + .edu discount) and about 750$ for the Dell with the current promotion.

My intended uses are Word (writing my thesis), Excel, some specialized analysis software and image processing, but they are low resolution (like 0.6 MP) grayscale images. I’m not using it as a gaming monitor – I don’t have the time. I might watch a movie or two, but it is not a high priority for me.

I’m not a snob when it comes to brands – all I want is one that will give me an even view, without color/brightness shifting. I’ve used IPS panels since 2003 (Dell 1800FP and now an iMac 20”) – so I’m somewhat familiar with what it has to offer. I guess the central question is – is the 2407 nearly comparable in viewing angle brightness and color, relative to the Apple display. If so, then it’s the Dell – but if the Apple is better, then so be it.

I’ve read other post about this on various forums – but I’m posting this because they were more general and did not compare the viewing angles and shifting that has me so concerned.

Any input would be helpful - thanks

BTW - I''ve paid my forum dues months ago - so I might be a n00b, but I'm not a leach :cool:

PVA and S-PVA which the 2405FPW and the 2407WFP are build upon have a gamma shift even at slight angles. Basically, you will have stronger colors, but less detail when viewing straight on, while more detail and washed out colors at slight angle shift. According to the datasheet of the LTM240M2 panel that the 2407WFP uses, the drop of contrast is 90% when angles have reached 150 degrees Horizontal and 130 degrees vertical. There is a gradual decrease of contrast until then, but the largest shift is as mentioned a couple of degrees off axis.
If you sit close to the 2407WFP and positioned straight on, you'll notice that the sides are less colorful, more detailed and brighter then center, because you'll see them from an angle.

To illustrate, I have here an image composed of 2 different images of the 2405FPW from a slight angle. On each image, I cut out the right side and the left side to better illustrate the image shift. Left image is more straight on view, while right image is at angle. As you can see, colors are stronger on left, while washed out on right but with more details. This is a characteristic of the PVA/S-PVA panels due to crystal positioning.
24055degreex2rz.jpg

The 2407WFP would however be excelent to word processing and exel usage because the S-PVA panels, due to crystal positioning, have greater ability to display darker blacks.

Color reproduction and viewing angles are better on the S-IPS panel of the ACD 23" and in addition it would be easier to adjust brightness on these panels without loosing the color range at the same time.

Tamlin_WSGF said:
and in addition it would be easier to adjust brightness on these panels without loosing the color range at the same time.

Hm, now this sounds interesting. Does it mean that i can easily turn down the brightnes and white will still remain white and colors will be ok, but everything will be easier on the eyes?

If you have time, please explain how does the structure of the IPS panels affect that (does it transmit less light or something like that?)

thanx

You are welcome Bacillus :)

Ivan®:
For full explaination of panels and light, it would take too much time which I unfortunately don't have. :(

To acheive best level of white, you need to adjust color temperature (which is also called white point) according to the lightsource in your room.

What I meant with the above statement, is that there has been issues for some to adjust the S-PVA panels to "proper" brightness without doing software adjustments as well which would effect the color range and reproduction. I think the term used is "retina burn" :p

Thanx, but can you confirm that ips panels are the easiest to adjust in terms of brightness?

I don't know if that is so much IPS easy to adjust as it is PVA is hard to adjust. I was never able to get decent colors out of my PVA, while at the same time get brightness at low level so it didn't hurt my eyes. I went to TN panel next and this was no problem. I have the brightness at a low-comfortable (12%) level and white still is white, All the colors look decently balanced. With PVA it just went wrong when I turned down the backlight.

After PVA I didn't even know if I could use LCD from all the eye pain/headaches it caused.

Back