Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

I just got mine yesterday and the trailing greenish tint on the desktop when dragging windows around is horrid imho. Its even worse in Linux, almost to the point of not being usuable.

Is this something anyone else has noticed? Im ready to send this thing back as my 2 year old 19" viewsonic vp191b doesnt have this problem and for $600+ (i know thats not that much for a 24") it isnt really acceptable.

For games though its hard to find any ghosting and is the only time i actually enjoy using it.

Im thinking about getting an eye-one to calibrate it to see if this will help?

Is it really that apparent on your screen?

I only really see the green tint when I purposely look for it. When in normal day-to-day use, it's just part of the blur passing by when moving windows. In normal day to day use, I don't even remember it's there.

Is it really that apparent on your screen?

I only really see the green tint when I purposely look for it. When in normal day-to-day use, it's just part of the blur passing by when moving windows. In normal day to day use, I don't even remember it's there.

yah its pretty easily noticeable, i even asked two other people and they picked up on it as fast as i did.

For some reason its really bad with anything white. i'll try and find someway to capture it, its too hard to explain other than what was described as a green tint that flickers when dragging windows or when scrolling down a page that has alternateing white and dark colors. (kinda like a forum thread with alternateing white and grey backgrounds for each post)

That's due to the crappy overdrive implementation which doesn't take the color settings into account. Supposedly, you can reduce it by setting the RGB values to around 85.

Moving around Windows right now and I can't see the tint you're talking about. My RGB are at (99,98,91).

chadderuski:

any more observations/thoughts on the S-IPS 2007WFP versus the 2407WFP-HC? :D

yah its pretty easily noticeable, i even asked two other people and they picked up on it as fast as i did.

For some reason its really bad with anything white. i'll try and find someway to capture it, its too hard to explain other than what was described as a green tint that flickers when dragging windows or when scrolling down a page that has alternateing white and dark colors. (kinda like a forum thread with alternateing white and grey backgrounds for each post)

Any idea if this was around on the non HC A04s ?

I had the green/pink mouse trail issue on my 2407WFP A03. It was pretty obvious and annoying.
This issue is not showing on my new 2407WFP-HC.
I remember that I had to lower the brightness to 47 to minimize this artifact.
This might worth a try...

Pfft.. I put the brightness to 28 so the display isn't overpowering with blown bright colors

Wow I guess i have to see this monitor in person. That must be really bright then!

Wow I guess i have to see this monitor in person. That must be really bright then!

50 percent brightness hurts my eyes, its very bright.

I reduced the colors down to 80's for rgb and the trail is gone after some really quick testing.

I ordered any eye-one so i can calibrate this thing too. But right now im just really happy that hideous green streaking is gone.

Still not sure if i want to keep it, will decide after its properly calibrated.

Cool keep us updated. I have a calibrator on the way so whatever monitor(s) i end up using next will be calibrated, rest assured!

50 percent brightness hurts my eyes, its very bright.

I reduced the colors down to 80's for rgb and the trail is gone after some really quick testing.

I ordered any eye-one so i can calibrate this thing too. But right now im just really happy that hideous green streaking is gone.

Still not sure if i want to keep it, will decide after its properly calibrated.

Concerning that green ghost in your machines....

very easy to see if you hit here, nice torture test image of pixel clock and phase:

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html

If you are running VGA input then you will want to check the site out more. Grab the window and wiggle.

On DVI-D this color ghosting is nearly gone. Still blinky.

Calibrating won't eliminate this. Though reducing your white point to around 6500k (from like 9700!) will help a great deal. As will bringing the lumins to around 120 (crts are usually profiled to between 87 and 100) More enjoyable to look at.

CRT's won't exhibit this behavior. Your running at a higher clock.

Think about the AMOUNT of real estate here. That is an enormous amount of data to push out. And at only 60hz?

go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

scroll down and look at the bandwidth. Perhaps it's time for Dell and others in the 24-26" range to start making more dual-link monitors. Perhaps then all the blinking and flashing will go away.

Ack! But then they'll want more money! I had to hack a BFG 7800GS OC to work in my mac to get away from the 64k vid card than came in it. Friggin Radeon and Apple. Yep, my mac is AGP. But will apple release more cards for use in it? NAAAAW. They want you to buy and intel/mac now.

Sorry. You have no idea how much un-fun this was. My hat is off to Strangedogs for their work on this.

Hmmm.... i vaguely remember from days gone by that if you had your VGA monitor set at too low a refresh rate you could get some odd blinking.... oh, yeah. I had a 256 color EVGA monitor and card. It was SOOOO much better than CGA.... you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

So physics looks to be coming into play here. If your video card doesn't have DVI, get one as it should help a lot.

- Longintooth :D

Concerning the 2407wfp-hc for photo retouching:

Did a headshot last night for a client. Decided to give the 2407 a blind try and not reference my other monitors. (I did run the 2407 through calibration earlier, but it looks like I need to read more on how to set up LCD panels for this kind of work.)

To make a long story short. NO, still not at the point that I can trust this monitor yet. (But I haven't given up.)

Why? Main reason is this monitor it is still way too bright. Retouching for just about everything but color and exposure was pretty good. Really nice to have all that space to play around in. But could not properly judge exposure.

Profiled CRT matched print fine. Sorry, have't had a chance to test the 2007wfp yet. But casually observance is very close to CRT. Color looks right, but I think I still have the 2007wfp too bright also.

Sooo. time to give it another go with the Eye-One, and perhaps do more spelunking on the net.

Please keep us posted on any goodies you find in tweaking the 2407. Thank man you've been an awesome. help. :)

Concerning that green ghost in your machines....

very easy to see if you hit here, nice torture test image of pixel clock and phase:

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html

If you are running VGA input then you will want to check the site out more. Grab the window and wiggle.

On DVI-D this color ghosting is nearly gone. Still blinky.

Calibrating won't eliminate this. Though reducing your white point to around 6500k (from like 9700!) will help a great deal. As will bringing the lumins to around 120 (crts are usually profiled to between 87 and 100) More enjoyable to look at.

CRT's won't exhibit this behavior. Your running at a higher clock.

Think about the AMOUNT of real estate here. That is an enormous amount of data to push out. And at only 60hz?

go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

scroll down and look at the bandwidth. Perhaps it's time for Dell and others in the 24-26" range to start making more dual-link monitors. Perhaps then all the blinking and flashing will go away.

Ack! But then they'll want more money! I had to hack a BFG 7800GS OC to work in my mac to get away from the 64k vid card than came in it. Friggin Radeon and Apple. Yep, my mac is AGP. But will apple release more cards for use in it? NAAAAW. They want you to buy and intel/mac now.

Sorry. You have no idea how much un-fun this was. My hat is off to Strangedogs for their work on this.

Hmmm.... i vaguely remember from days gone by that if you had your VGA monitor set at too low a refresh rate you could get some odd blinking.... oh, yeah. I had a 256 color EVGA monitor and card. It was SOOOO much better than CGA.... you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

So physics looks to be coming into play here. If your video card doesn't have DVI, get one as it should help a lot.

- Longintooth :D

Thanks for the links, I'm using the DVI cable, funny thing is it came with the vga cable already attached as if thats what they wanted me to use, pfffft.

Anyone know how to get into the service menu, i tried the power "+" menu and "-" keys but i dont think im pressing them right?

TypicalSloan: Same here. My first thought on seeing the VGA hooked up is that they are actually doing a visual inspection of the panels before shipping. I have not heard many complaints about dead/stuck pixels on the 2407wfp-hc, so perhaps they learned their lesson and are pulling "bad" ones before they hit your door.... OMG, what ever happened to quality control?

JiBB: Color update. Did some testing on the 2407wfp-hc vs 2007wfp. The results are as expected and confirm other sites I've seen.

6500k, 110 lumins., detaE:
2407-wc = .9 - considered calibrated, but the color is obviously different
2007wfp = .4 - this is actually consider quite good!

found a page suggesting 100 lumins, so will retry tonight.

A couple sites of interest:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
http://www.epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

the last I just stumbled upon and has some good info.

sweet thanks. Now all I need is the monitor. haha Have to wait for pay day for that. :)

Ordered one a week ago, first one had a dead pixel. Just got my replacement no dead pixels, and doesn't seem as blindingly bright as the first one on default settings, both panels made in Mexico.

As a gamer I am really enjoying this LCD. I'm not as hardcore into fps games so the minor ghosting when moving really quickly doesn't bother me, it's almost like a motion blur effect from the Crysis videos. The last time I tried to go LCD was 2-3 years ago but the ghosting on it (Dell 2001 or something can't remember) made me nauseous. Went to LCD to help save some power/desk space over the 2 22 inch crts I was using, and widescreen is oh so oh nice. As a casual gamer/user very satisfied and this will definitely keep me happy until the DisplayPort/OLED era.

Welcome to Quebec, my friend. =) Those are our sales taxes (now you know why we lost the Expos, and why no hockey players want to play here).

You'd think that with taxes like those, our streets would be paved with gold, huh? Thank God for those in charge that the population is too busy watching Oprah and reading Harry Potter to ask too many questions about where all that money's going, and why every other state and province in the world can get more done with less.

We in Ontario still pay more taxes than Quebec my friend.

Anyway, back on the topic, I can't believe that I missed out when it was CAD $699.99 at the Dell store, I completely forgot that the last day for the monitor at CAD $699.99 was July 27th :(

EDIT:
Dang, I just checked dell.com and dell.ca and there is about CAD $192 difference between prices, this sucks.
At US $579, it should cost CAD $607.95 at 1.05 conversion rate and not CAD $799.99

$579 USD on dell.com

That's a significant drop from just a few days ago... Even from the recent sale price of $609, that's $30 less. Is this a permanent cut or a limited time offer? I didn't see any mention of "limited time" on the web site, but I might have just missed it.

That's a significant drop from just a few days ago... Even from the recent sale price of $609, that's $30 less. Is this a permanent cut or a limited time offer? I didn't see any mention of "limited time" on the web site, but I might have just missed it.

Actually, its significant drop from last night. At around 10:30pm CDT when I looked, it was 679. At 9:30am CDT this morning, it was 579. There is a $100 instant off rebate automatically applied, so if you try to use any other coupon codes, they don't stack.

Now if the 30 incher would drop... any idea if buying something from Costco would include warranty with Dell?

[edit] oh wait, just noticed that there's a $225 drop on the 30...

GREAT FIND. I just ordered mine. It's around $610 delivered.

$100 off
Freed 3-5 day ground shipping.

....break open your piggy banks. That's a deal.

I just got my eye-one today, ordered it through buydig (best price) and it came a day and a half later, talk about fast shipping.

Ran through the calibration twice and was pretty happy with results the 2nd time. The software wanted me to use 100% (instructed to set it to max) which resulted in having to set the brightness to 2 to achieve 140 cd/m. Which resulted in correct colors but gave me the color streaking again.

Found the highest contrast i could use without getting the streaking, 60-65, and left it at that for the second run. giveing me 20 brightness for 140 cd/m.

Final thoughts are...

pros:
color is nice when calibrated
no back light bleeding
no dead pixels
gameing performance is good

cons:
slight color shifting when viewing from different angles
slight input lag when working on the desktop

Im not expert, these are just some of the things im noticed.

So, how do you feel about it now? Are you going to keep it?

How does the screen compare to the settings you have now, to what they were at factory settings? Now I feel like tweaking the settings, but I don't want to loose how things pop out with the current settings. Like say, the Aero border around windows in Vista. They actually look glass like, and not plasticy like on other monitors.

I just got my eye-one today, ordered it through buydig (best price) and it came a day and a half later, talk about fast shipping.

Ran through the calibration twice and was pretty happy with results the 2nd time. The software wanted me to use 100% (instructed to set it to max) which resulted in having to set the brightness to 2 to achieve 140 cd/m. Which resulted in correct colors but gave me the color streaking again.

Found the highest contrast i could use without getting the streaking, 60-65, and left it at that for the second run. giveing me 20 brightness for 140 cd/m.

Final thoughts are...

pros:
color is nice when calibrated
no back light bleeding
no dead pixels
gameing performance is good

cons:
slight color shifting when viewing from different angles
slight input lag when working on the desktop

Im not expert, these are just some of the things im noticed.

Don't forget to run the monitor validator to check the deltaE on your colors. I have not been able to do better than .9.

I am running at 6500k, 100cd/m (or 110 still making up my mind), you will need the lower light level if you are going to be proofing prints.

I lowered all color guns down to mid 80's to start, and left contrast at 50. Raising all the way is something you do on CRT's. I am not convinced this works correctly on this flat panel. One things I did notice after all this is that the image is even more sharp - less pixel to pixel bloom? Perception? Hard to tell. But it looks better to me at this level.

In the end, brightness was around 1 or 2. Basically none.

I think this is the best you can expect from a PVA panel. Some colors are still very saturated ... their idea of 92% gamut? Not convinced yet.

My S-IPS 2007wfp will calibrat to .4 consistently. My Multisynch FP950 (this is a pro CRT) will calibrate to .32 (and it is't feeling well after 8 years of service).

I have not lowered the 2007wfp to 100 lumins to see how it looks.

That all said, the 2407wfp-hc did look very acceptable after all the calibration work. I agree that it is a good monitor for the size and price for non-critical color applications.

Hope my observations were helpful to others.

Hi guys, can you tell me whether you use this monitor with cleartype and whether you like it. I do a lot of text work (software dev) and good looking cleartype is of a great importance to me.

there are some who claim their 2007WFP is still better (would like to see some comparison pictures) but everyone pretty much 100% agrees that the HC is definetly a signifigant improvement over the non HC right?

there are some who claim their 2007WFP is still better (would like to see some comparison pictures) but everyone pretty much 100% agrees that the HC is definetly a signifigant improvement over the non HC right?

You mean 2007 or 2407?

Back