Dell 3007 or wait for Samsung 30" ?

Justifire

Weaksauce
Still dont know what to do, go for the Dell 3007 or wait a little longer for the Samsung 30" ?

The Dell has a SIPS panel with a response of 16 ms
No input lag but i might see ghosting.

The Samsung is getting a SPVA panel response 6 ms
So no ghosting but might have input lag.

I want to use it for games, online and offline , mostly fps like BF2

Now wich one to choose?

Do you guys with a 3007 recommend it for gaming ?
Do you see ghosting in games?
Are you happy with it or is it little bit disapointing in some ways?

Justifire said:
Do you guys with a 3007 recommend it for gaming ?
Do you see ghosting in games?
Are you happy with it or is it little bit disapointing in some ways?

i dont have one but i have played on one for hours straight

1. yes i do, it is great fun but you have to have good VC's sli for sure if you want to run everythin on max like it should be.

2. no i do not, i have seen it b4 but on this moniter i see none.

3. i loved to play on it but you do have to get used to it, the only troubles for me is that i had to used the rez hack so i coudl get it fake widescreen.

so all in all i liked it alot when playing on it.

From I read, samsung's PVA g-to-g number is achieved by using overdrive tech. The real number highly depends on the actual transition. It can vary a lot, e.g. for 6ms - 50ms. And overdrive also may cause additional noise in dynmatic image transition, e.g. video.

3007 does not use overdrive, 16ms should be constant, or at least not as dynamic as samsung's does. Based on my own experience, DVD or HD display on 3007 is cleaner, more vivid (reading more CRT like) than 2405. I guess the result can be extended to gaming, etc.

Until the BenQ comes out there's no way to know if it's worth waiting for / better than the Dell. To be honest, I'm not sure the Dell is a great choice if your main use is gaming. You'll have to keep upgrading your graphics every six months if you want to drive it at native.

You don't have to drive it at native. It looks great in games at 1900x1200, 1600x1050 or 1280x800 (desktop sucks an non-native resolutions but games are OK). DX10 cards next year will have a lot easier time driving the beast so you can always upgrade later (plus the card prices right now are pretty stupid). As for blurring, I am not sure I see any at all in games. The worst bit about the monitor is that the right side is a bit brighter than the left and I didn't even notice that right away (it's minor).

why don't you change this thread into a Poll? samsung 30" is better in spec., in quality and service.

shimh said:
From I read, samsung's PVA g-to-g number is achieved by using overdrive tech. The real number highly depends on the actual transition. It can vary a lot, e.g. for 6ms - 50ms. And overdrive also may cause additional noise in dynmatic image transition, e.g. video.

what's overdrive tech? Is there a link?

Sorry, I dont agree that the 3007 looks great at non-native. It's no better in that regard than any other monitor with a similar pixel pitch.

caboosemoose said:
Sorry, I dont agree that the 3007 looks great at non-native. It's no better in that regard than any other monitor with a similar pixel pitch.
Then he can get the x1900XT(X) or the 7900GT(X) and play at 2560x1600 but turn down a thing or two (not keep everything at max). That would work, wouldn't it?

DusanV said:
Then he can get the x1900XT(X) or the 7900GT(X) and play at 2560x1600 but turn down a thing or two (not keep everything at max). That would work, wouldn't it?

For a few months until the next load of games come out, then he'd need a pair of G80s or R600s etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Please keep this on-topic
Whether i take the dell or the samsung, in both cases i need some real graphics power.
Im on SLI right now and i will when G80 comes out.
So that isnt the point.
Question is, Go Dell or Go Samsung ??

I guess it is really a matter of how urgent you want the monitor? If you really want it right now, it leaves no choice. You can go for Dell now. If you can wait, you could always compare both after Samsung's comes out. I don't think here is anyone who can defintely tell you which way to go. If he did, I don't think you would take it.

Another thing is that, just like hi-fi/hi-end audio equipment, spec does not always tell the everything, especially for different LCD technology. For example, backlight bleeding, color accuracy, noise in video, input lag, viewing experience from angle, and so on and on. Until the product is out, you really cannot tell whether it is good from the spec only. My feeling is that you won't go wrong with 3007 (Stick to what we already know, which is 2nd safer choice. And you can return it in certain number of days (21?) if you don't like it). But you can always wait till samsung's comes out (the safest choice).

As for service, I don't think samsung has better service than dell in term of exchange and cross shipping. I think they are the most important in service.

unless the new generation samsung panel has the common PVA issues resolved, I'd go with S-IPS. I primarily refer to the color offset--I imagine it would be quite annoying on a 30-inch display.

EDIT: I guess it may not be that noticeable if gaming is all you do.

The Samsung will almost certainly be 30 %more expensive. Ask your sefl what you get for the premium and then make your decision

Seems like I order a 3007 today :D
Mean reason is the input lag with (S)PVA panels.
Now just hope I wont notice any ghosting in games.

jacuzz1 said:
The Samsung will almost certainly be 30 %more expensive. Ask your sefl what you get for the premium and then make your decision

Totally disagree. Samsung knows the price of Dell, they also know Benq has their one coming up, so they have to price their 30" competitively, especially when it first come out, or else if the price is high, they'll be slaughter by dell

Happy Hopping said:
Totally disagree. Samsung knows the price of Dell, they also know Benq has their one coming up, so they have to price their 30" competitively, especially when it first come out, or else if the price is high, they'll be slaughter by dell

I agree totally. They have to price theirs close to the dell's if they want some decent sales. And by then one can only imagine what kind of sales prices the dell would be going for.
On a side note, when is that dang BenQ going to be available. Ok, I'm not really asking I'm more like wanting the BenQ to be available now. Or at least some more info about the monitor would help. :(

Happy Hopping said:

You have a point , but that did not stop them with past screens

Happy Hopping said:
But look at the prices of Samsung 24'' vs. Dell's 2405. Dell is cheaper and it's using Samsung's own panel.

P.S. Call Dell up and ask for a deal. A bunch of people here on the forum did that, including me. I got mine for ~US$1600. Have fun, it's a really nice monitor.

DusanV said:
But look at the prices of Samsung 24'' vs. Dell's 2405. Dell is cheaper and it's using Samsung's own panel.

P.S. Call Dell up and ask for a deal. A bunch of people here on the forum did that, including me. I got mine for ~US$1600. Have fun, it's a really nice monitor.

QFT. The Samsung will almost definitely be much more expensive. but that's about all we can say about it for sure.

Made my decision and ordered a 3007 today.
Thanx for all the input you guys gave me :thumbs:

Justifire said:

omg noooooooooooo whyy???? omg you shoulda had wa---------- lol
Just messin with you! :D

Congrats on the order. Be sure to post pics. :)

StalkerZER0 said:
omg noooooooooooo whyy???? omg you shoulda had wa---------- lol
Just messin with you! :D

Congrats on the order. Be sure to post pics. :)
Thanx StalkerZER0 :)
Im pretty sure a better monitor will be released in a week.
Than the Samsung hasnt got input lag and much better quality, such sort of things always happen if i just bought something :)
I just cant / wont wait any longer and im pretty sure im gonna love this Dell !
Keep my fingers crossed now for any dead pixels.

hello...

I think i also read somewhere that the new SAMSUNG 30" does not support HDCP, not sure where i did but i was in the same position as the OP when trying to decide between the DELL and SAMSUNG (not sure if this is still true). So I went for the DELL for the panel tech they used, HDCP, and warranty. I'm pretty sure the samsung will not be a whole lot better than the DELL, if it will be any better at all. Some may not care for HDCP, but with screen this size, you'll most likely wish to watch some hi-def movies with it if you own one, it's freakin awesome!

congrats. That 30 incher is awesome. I dont own one so im jealous. But by buying one you have reached the level of studness that only a few here have. so enjoy. Me im going to get one reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly soon. Or at least whenever i stop purchasing other damn toys... :(

No to Samsung, no annoucement to Benq. Samsung and Dell decided not to have S-video or other input because that would made their LCD monitor in conflict of the selling market vs. their LCD TV market.

Happy Hopping said:
No to Samsung, no annoucement to Benq. Samsung and Dell decided not to have S-video or other input because that would made their LCD monitor in conflict of the selling market vs. their LCD TV market.

Yes but apparently BenQ doesn't have a limitation like that on their company. So they are debuting one with multiple inputs........SO THERE! :cool:
lol.
But really, I hope to hear some more news about these monitors at this weeks computex. Has anybody heard anything? :confused:

Happy Hopping said:

Another reason in technology aspect of view is probably, those monitors do not have analog VGA processing circuit. So there is no point to include s-video or component video stuff.

A valid pt. can be, you can output your satelite box directly to your 30" samsung.

Happy Hopping said:
A valid pt. can be, you can output your satelite box directly to your 30" samsung.

How come? Samsung's is supposed to have one DVI input only, just like Dell's. :confused: Is Samsung's res on single link DVI connection > 1280x800?

Personally I'm waiting specifically for either the Samsung or the Dell to start using a Samsung panel or offer it as a variant.

:)

I'd go with the 3007. If I had the cash right now I'd sell my 2001 and my 2405 and invest in two 3007s.

Justifire said:

Congrats you'll love the 30inch ;)

Back