DELL 3007WFP - Buzzing

Well I have a 3007WFP on order, and I should receive it Thursday. Hopefully there will be no buzzing or not much of a buzzing sound and everything will be fine. I am really looking foward to it. I am pretty good at tuning out sounds if they are constant. Sounds that continually change pitch and volume will annoy me more than anything.

If they do come out with some better stuff soon, I won't be too upset. I was in the market now, and I bought the best thing I could afford at the time and at a good price. It will hopefully keep me satisfied for awhile.

I tend to keep monitors for about three years if I can.

Thanks for the update driveman. It makes me wonder whether 1000's monitor is any different, or if it's just your different environments. Or, is it a high enough pitch that 1000 can't hear it?

While the high-pitched noise might not be heard by some people, the buzz is very noticable.
In my home office, which is very quiet at night, the monitor emits the sound you hear when you put your head near a neon light. I'm pretty sure that if you have a modern desktop computer (i.e., noisy), it would drawn the noise. But I'm running off an Apple laptop, which is very quiet.

The buzz is like a low pitch noise... herts/frequency ... Humans can hear a certain range of wave length, some people with higher and/or lower range than others.

Guys, I've had the panel for over a week now.. there is NO BUZZING at all unless you hold your ear directly at the back of the panel

Askanison said:
The buzz is like a low pitch noise... herts/frequency ... Humans can hear a certain range of wave length, some people with higher and/or lower range than others.

I seem to be able to hear a greater range than most people, but as I said I can tune it out if it's constant. If it varies a lot I'll have a hard time with it. Hopefully my panel won't be that bad.

K10 said:
how is it? is it too big?

That's what she said. :D

Bigger is generally better. So I wouldn't think so. They wouldn't be popluar if that were true.

Is there any way to tell which of the dell 3007's have the the buzzing? Is there a model number or a revision number or something? :confused: :confused:

After going through 4 screens, three of which are Rev. A02 and one Rev A01, and reading feedback from other users in DELL forums, I'm starting to believe that the majority - of not all of them - are buzzing. I think that the users who claim that their screens are not buzzing are simply not sensitive to this noise (like the user 1000s).

I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered my Dell 3007WFP...
I have tried two and they were both buzzing (both rev 01).
I'm going to order Apple's 30-incher tomorrow - wish me luck ;)

driveman said:
I'm starting to believe that the majority - of not all of them - are buzzing. I think that the users who claim that their screens are not buzzing are simply not sensitive to this noise (like the user 1000s).
What the heck, the first sentence contradicts the second. :D

Cut 1000 some slack, he posted an intelligent review and says it only buzzes if his ear is up against it; I believe him. I bet you're right though, that the majority buzz. Good thing you started this thread to prevent me from buying. It is amazing that Dell's QA wouldn't stop these buzzers. I've put my faith/hope/dreams in the LP3065.

Yes, I too am going to be looking closely at the L3065. Also, I want to see the reviews for the BenQ FP301W and I suppose the samsung 305T as well.

I'm starting to think that perhaps jacuzzi is one of those guys that doesn't mind his monitor buzzing? :confused:

K10 said:
is the buzzing really that bad? i hear buzzing on my 2405 too if i put my ear next to it. are you guys talking about that kind of buzzing, or is it much worse?

Ya someone respond? Is the buzzing that you guys are complaining about worse than the buzzing heard when listening closely?

I'm surprised you're asking this--driveman has made it very clear:

"I know that the backlight of LCDs can hum and buzz, but this is definitely not something that you should hear when you're 2 feet away from the screen."

"I simply cannot get how a company can get such a noisy design out to the street."

"Oh, and the noise was there too. Big time."

StalkerZER0 said:
Ya someone respond? Is the buzzing that you guys are complaining about worse than the buzzing heard when listening closely?

The buzzing being annoying or audible is going to be subjective. Everyone will experience it differently.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow. Mine should arrive by then.

K10, except the buzzing the monitor is terrific. Even backlighting, no dead pixels (on my copy), video looks good and ergonomics are great. I'm not using it for gaming so I cannot comment on this aspect.

I would have loved to keep the monitor, but the noise is just unbearable.

Let me try to describe the anomaly in detail:

1. The monitor emits two types of noises: high-pitched squeal and a buzz. The buzz sounds very much like the buzz a neon lamp makes.

2. There are about 10 levels of brightness. When the brightness is on maximum (level 10) , there is no buzzing at all - only high-pitched squeal.

3. As you turn the brightness down, buzzing starts. Buzzing is emphasized at levels 1-3 and 6-9. At levels 4-5 the buzz is still audible, but not as loud the other levels.

4. When the brightness level is between 1-3 or 6-9, the buzz is clearly audible across the room (over 10 feet). You don't even need to "tune" your hears on the noise. Obviously I'm talking about a very quiet environment - no fans, desktop, etc. Only my MacBook Pro is running.

5. The sound is emitted from the back of the screen. There are vents on the top, left and right and it seems to be coming from the backlight of the LCD panel.

6. When the monitor heats up, the high-pitched squeal (only on level 10) grows louder.

To me, the high-pitched squeal and buzz are unbearable. My wife, who is not as sensitive as I am to noises, clearly hears the buzzing as well. People who work in a slightly louder environments or are not sensitive might not get as annoyed.

BTW, I have an 20" Apple monitor. When I put my ear against the back of the screen, I can ear a faint echo of the same type of buzzing. But it is completely inaudible otherwise.

I guess one of the reasons that the Apple screen are quieter (and hotter) is due to their vent-less aluminum enclosure.

One might wander if using those sound deadening panels might work to absorb the noise; yet I believe that there's an engineering reasoning behind putting vends at the back of the LCD.

Hope it helps.

Well UPS sucks. My monitor delivery has been re-scheduled for tomorrow instead. :mad:

Dan_D said:
Well UPS sucks. My monitor delivery has been re-scheduled for tomorrow instead. :mad:
Heh, I ordered mine on Monday and got it yesterday. :p

No noticeable buzz for me.

I got mine on wednesday - no dead pixels, not backlight bleeding and no buzzing. Mind you I can only run it at 1280x800 since I have an AGP 6800GT single link but that will change next month.

Dan_D said:

LOL! :p

Ya I've had similar experience with them. I expect to have similar trouble with them again tonight as I try to find out what happened to my BF2142 delivery. :rolleyes:

For all of you guys who experience no "buzzing". Have you tried using the monitor in a quiet room? Reason I'm asking is that I believe most of you are driving the monitor with a powerful desktop PC, whose fans are masking the monitor's noise.

I'm trying to differentiate between "monitor is not buzzing" and "I can't hear any buzzing in my work environment" so I know whether I should make a reqest another replacement.

Well in my case I can tell you that the fans are not masking any type of buzzing. My tower is tucked away so I hear very little noise from it at all and the monitor is three feet from me.

I understand your problem, when you spend that amount of cash on a monitor you want it as close to perfect as you can get! I was alittle nervous too when I first got mine the other day and went over it very carfully! I would call Dell and get it exchanged.

K10 said:
i'll live with the buzz now that the monitor is $1280!
Damn! $1279 now. Ain't nothing wrong with a 30" price war. Yet Apple is still selling theirs for $2k, what a joke.

zzz said:
Damn! $1279 now. Ain't nothing wrong with a 30" price war. Yet Apple is still selling theirs for $2k, what a joke.

And they sell their 20 inch widescreen for $700. Apple knows that their hardcore fans will buy this crap no matter how high they price it.

zzz said:
Yet Apple is still selling theirs for $2k, what a joke.
And you know what, zzz? I'm so in-love with the real-estate that a 30-incher offer, that I would have reach to my pocket for the Apple (of course, you can find brand new ones for $1750 or so). Only problem is that Apple has their own slew of problems: Apple ACD 30" dancing pixels

Since the DELL is going back, I see no alternative. Yes, there are HP and Samsung models, but I don't find their design to be attractive.

driveman said:
Since the DELL is going back, I see no alternative. Yes, there are HP and Samsung models, but I don't find their design to be attractive.
Alright--you're entitled to your own opinion...

I'm with you that the Dell's stand looks cooler than the HP's, but the 92% color gamut, faster response time, and better contrast ratio are much bigger selling points to me than the screen's stand. I mean it's not like the HP comes in hot pink! Is the appearance really more important than the specs?

I give a lot of weight to appearance. I have a very well design office, and it was a big compromise for me to bring DELL over Apple. The Samsung and HP are plain ugly in my book. They might have better performance, but the DELL was good enough for me in this department.

Low or High pitches noises or Buzzes are different for everyone. I had an LED flashlight to which the converter boars supposedly buzzed but I could not hear it when a friend said it was terrible. It's a crap shoot how sensitive each individuals hearing is.

Mine should be here soon....I'll chime in then.

Mac

I just got off the phone with Dell regarding the latest price drop and they gave me another $100 off since I bought the thing 4 days ago. Some is better than none I guess.

I found this on Dell's site concerning their price matching policy.

https://support.dell.com/support/to...n/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=302177&l=en&s=dhs

Driveman, I would call them up and play alittle hardball where it comes to the price and the buzzing. Get them to send you another one and see which one you like better. Worst case you keep the one you have and you might get alittle cash back... :)

driveman, do you happen to live close to a cell phone tower? Someone emailed this to me:

"I now have Dell's 24" monitor...I noticed that when I get a cell phone call the monitor buzzes have absolutely no idea why that is but it stops as soon as the cell stops ringing or I move the cell 5 feet away from the monitor. Other than that the monitor is DEAD quiet I can never hear any noise from it at all."

Try taking your monitor out of town and plugging it in. Maybe you have strong EMI where you live.

Interesting theory... you sure this guy doesn't have the soundbar attached? Cellphones easily induce noise into speakers.

Well, I have my 3007 right now, and there is NO buzzing that I can hear.

Interestingly enough, I can hear a disctinct noise while I am changing resolutions, but only for a split second.

Otherwise, mine is quiet. The colors are good and the panel is pretty uniform all the way across color/brightness and contrast wise. I am VERY pleased with this thing so far.

Dan_D, can you please play with the brightness and report whether there's any buzzing? Thanks.

Is there anyone who has a "quiet" 3007WFP and lives in the San Francisco bay area, and is who willing to show his 3007 to me?

It's difficult to believe that I got three "buzzing" units and all the others posters live happily and quietly with their rigs. Perhaps it's my laptop (MacBook Pro)? Perhaps the outlet or other environmental factors? It's a mystery...

I have a 3007WFP and it is dead silent except when changing resoulutions and is the same thing described earlier..

Dan....some more feedback please?
So your very pleased with it so far? Where are the pics? Umm....do you have a dog? Get him close to the monitor. If he starts howling perhaps he hears something you can't? :p

driveman said:
Is there anyone who has a "quiet" 3007WFP and lives in the San Francisco bay area, and is who willing to show his 3007 to me?
You could take the monitor to a different area (a library, workplace, friend's place), plug it in, and see if it buzzes. That would help narrow down whether it's an EMI or power outlet issue.

Question to any 3007 owner: do older 4:3 games get stretched to fill the whole screen by default? If so, does this PowerStrip solution work effectively? (thanks in advance)

Back