Dell 3008 input lag

Okay, I've been playing with my 3008 for a full day. It's going back to Dell. The screen is full of dead/stuck pixels. I stopped counting at 50 and there are a lot more. A few comments:

1. Brilliant colors out of the box without any calibration
2. The monitor displays HDTV extremely well
3. I tried several games to test for input lag. My observations are based simply on what I saw with my own eyes.
  • Dead Space: Noticeable lag
  • Left4Dead: Less lag than Dead Space; had to scale back the graphics settings to get smooth gameplay
  • The Witcher: No lag
  • Mass Effect: No lag
  • FarCry 2: No lag
  • Deus Ex: No lag
Is it unusual for some games to show lag while others don't? I've got friends over to watch the games, so I'll post some pics a little later tonight.

Yes I would send it back just for the bad pixels.

Just curious on which video card you are using? Is it enough to handle the 2560 resolution?

EDIT: Uh never mind about the video card I see in your profile you are using the GTX280.:D

Here are a few pics. I'm a lousy photographer. I'll post some better pics tomorrow.

A couple more comments:

After playing Dead Space for about 10 minutes, the lag seems to be gone. Maybe my eyes are adjusting. Is that possible?

Also, the 3008's screen is matte, not glossy. As far as I can tell, there's none of the sparkly effects that have been reported on the 3007. I'm really diggin' this monitor. If Dell swaps one for me that doesn't have all the stuck/dead pixels, I'll be happy.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

After playing Dead Space for about 10 minutes, the lag seems to be gone. Maybe my eyes are adjusting. Is that possible?

Dead Space has a bit clunky controls to begin with so that may make it feel lagging. To me it makes no sense that input lag would differ from game to game. By your definition of lag, you do mean that things on the screen seem to be slightly behind from the moment you push keyboard buttons or rotate the view with the mouse, right?

Hello everyone! I'm new of the forum and I'm seriously interested in buying this monitor, but the only thing keeping me from buying is input lag, so I'm waiting for Mr Wolf intense testing ;).
Anyway I can say to all of you that Dead Space has a well known bug which generates serious lag ingame. The solution is simple, try disabling VSYNC from the options menu and this should eliminate any form of lag (caused by the buggy software ) :D..let me know if it works ;)

I turned of VSYNC and the lag is gone. Great tip, Nuk3! Thanks!!

I've played all the games listed in my post above for a minimum of one hour each and can honestly say I see absolutely ZERO input lag. Mouse movements and keyboard commands are instantaneous. Given the lag I experienced with Dead Space (before Nuk3's tip), I'm confident I'd notice it elsewhere. I don't plan on any scientific testing for lag. I've seen other posts where people used timers and intricate calculations to demonstrate lag. Ain't happening here. I go by what my eyes tell me. I'm very happy to report that my eyes say "we don't see it." :)

As stated previously, this 3008 is doing a great job as an HDTV. I'm surprised at how sharp HD broadcasts and DVDs look. Admittedly, standard cable and non-cable broadcasts look pretty rough, but that's the case on any LCD. Once the transition to digital is complete, things should look better. I'm very pleased that there's none of that sparkly/grainy stuff that's been noted on the 3007.

My only gripe so far is the sea of dead/suck pixels littering the screen. I've used dozens of LCDs and never have seen so many bad pixels on a screen. Yes, they're very tiny and if I saw only a small handful then I'd probably live with it. No chance of that with the dozens upon dozens I see. I contacted Dell about an exchange and am awaiting the details on their response.

Well, using a non-native (and perhaps non-1280x800) would very likely lag so that could be one way to test the difference.
But I'm skeptical about testing lag with the naked eye - most people never notice lag.

Well, using a non-native (and perhaps non-1280x800) would very likely lag so that could be one way to test the difference.
But I'm skeptical about testing lag with the naked eye - most people never notice lag.
I don't plan on gaming at non-native resolutions, so there's no need for me to find out if lag exists at those resolutions. If my naked eyes never notice lag, that's fine with me!! ;)

oh and wolf, how is that PNP feature? I had posted in the gateway thread, and it seems the gateway (as much as i'd want to) probably won't be the way to go. Any shots on what that looks like? If that's decent, i might have to pull the trigger on the 3008.

Wolf, it could be helpful if you could try any game at res of 1920 or 1680 just to see if you can notice any lag...and can the monitor scaling be turned off from the osd? Thank you ;) I'm eager to buy this big toy :D

I played Dead Space and Mass Effect at 1920x1200 and 1280x1024. No noiticeable lag, but the images weren't as sharp as native; not surprising, of course.

As for Picture-By-Picture, it's a bit odd. I've got both my PC and digital cable box connected via the two DVI-D ports. For some bizarre reason, the 3008 can't do PBP with the second DVI port. PBP works fine with any other secondary input (HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video, DisplayPort). I never used PBP on my 2407 so this really doesn't bother me.

What DOES bother me is the lack of Picture-In-Picture on the 3008. Normally, I'd consider this to be a deal-breaker, or close to it. I contacted Comcast and they told me they'll have a set-top cable receiver with PIP capability in 2009. I'm also looking for third-party boxes that might have PIP.

Here's Dead Space at 2560x1600:

IMG_0742-1.jpg

got this monitor couple of months ago and it does not support PBP when have DVI and HDMI connected (or at least when connected to directv h23-hd box).

Yea, after doing some research, I found some shots of what PBP looks like. It's true you can't use both DVI's, but for what i need it for (one dvi and one svideo) it should work fine. my question, is if the res of the main screen is the 2560x1600 and i switch to PBP, does it readjust the res to the smaller res or just keep the 2560 res and just shrink it. Obviously the latter is better so it doesn't rearrange my windows on screen when i switch. can anyone confirm?

regardless, i think i'll be getting the 3008 over the gateway. here's the link i found images of the PBP.

http://www.pjtime.com/2008/3/82848173_10.shtml

Yeah, I'm sold. I'm getting one of these 3008wfp refurbs before the 15% coupon expires on Sat.

In terms of performance of the glass and colors and not looking at lag but just static screen quality how is the 3008 vs the 3007?

Hello,

Where do you get the 15% off coupon code? All the monitors I see at the dell outlet site are $1299 and they say no other coupons can be used.

Thanks,

Jeg

Google e-junkies for the coupon. I ended up paying $1150 total (including tax + shipping) for my 3008 with that coupon. My cost would have been $1405 without it. Better hurry, though. The coupon expires on the 24th.

In terms of performance of the glass and colors and not looking at lag but just static screen quality how is the 3008 vs the 3007?

Out of the box, the 08 is definitely better. The 07 looks crappy if you have 08 next to it.

Tried to place an order, but the dell outlet site keeps clearing my cart as soon as I hit 'submit order' button... Kinda retarded. I'm on hold with them now for 10 minutes trying to place the order on the phone.

Edit:

Ok, order placed via phone.

Thanks hardforum! I've been trying to find a good 30 incher, and I didn't like the 2k price tag on the 3008. Hearing about these refurbished units really pushed me over the edge and allowed me to make a decision!

Out of the box, the 08 is definitely better. The 07 looks crappy if you have 08 next to it.

behardware doesn't seem to agree:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/703-7/dell-3008wfp-hc.html

The ultimate question : what does the 3008WFP-HC add compared to the 3007WFP-HC ?Here we have to go back to the test of the former model. More or less this is what we wrote: poor color fidelity with default settings, brightness homogeneity varies roughly 20%, good reactivity, an IPS 6 ms panel, and wide gamut. We precise that at the time, some tests were lacking such as measured contrast and energy consumption. Nevertheless, our conclusion is that the biggest change is only in terms of the bezel and even the price. It’s really just an aesthetic update of its predecessor. So should we be surprised? No. There aren’t many 30 inch screens, the demand for them is still low, and their revision is almost inexistent. In short, the panel is the same, or at least it wasn’t radically changed and without great surprise, this screen’s behavior is more or less identical.

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to Mr. Wolf. You pushed me over the edge. All this talk of input lag can be off-putting, but I finally pulled the trigger before the ejunkie coupon expired and I could not be happier. This monitor has it all! And the price I got on it was such a steal.

I also don't know what this "sparkle" effect is that people keep mentioning about IPS panels. Sure, I can detect the anti-glare coating on pure white backgrounds, but it's not sparkly. All LCDs have that sort of phenomenon. My old Viewsonic 17" had it, and my work laptop has it too. It might be a touch more "aggressive" on the 3008wfp, but that's probably cause the screen is so huge -- it'll pick up reflections everywhere.

I have received it today. The only thing I have to work on is the contrast-brightness and color settings, but the pros are that it is huge and I can't notice any imput lag at all. I tested games at native res with a gtx295..more infos soon....
In the meantime, can you suggest me any custom color preset for this beauty?

Get a colorimeter - they're like 50 bucks.

As for input lag, its really one of those things that will affect you individually. Most won't notice it, and it won't affect you outside of competitive FPS'ers. A little input lag on top of the net latency though will noticeably change your scores. Anyone who has done competitive FPS'er gaming at a high level knows there is a huge difference in performance from 50 ms to 70 ms from net lag alone. So it is something to consider. I don't think it should be offhandedly dismissed - but listed as an important caveat that may affect some. This is a big purchase.

Got a 3008WFP (rev A02) today. Tried Crysis, GTA IV and UT3 in native and non-native resolutions and can't notice any input lag. Can't measure but as long as it doesn't bother me I'm good.

As for the "sparkle", yeah I suppose you can see something like that on pure white areas but I don't find it distracting and on other colors it's not noticeable. Seems like normal anti-glare coating to me.

NuK3: Check out the Prad.de review, I tried their calibrated sRGB settings and the colors are pretty good with those. I'll calibrate the monitor properly later.

NuK3: Check out the Prad.de review, I tried their calibrated sRGB settings and the colors are pretty good with those. I'll calibrate the monitor properly later.

Where did you find those? I went snooping on prad.de and didn't find anything.

Mr. Wolf, so you don't notice lag with the 3008. Are you sensitive to it, and have you noticed it with other monitors?

Here are the 2 best subjective techniques I know of to measure it. 1) Do an online reaction time test and measure your average time versus a CRT (like Snowdog did). 2) In Windows, with "show window contents" enabled, drag a window across the screen with a sharp quick jolt, and see if the window keeps moving after the sound of the mouse against the table stops.

Why are you insisting that this monitor is bad for gaming when you haven't tried it yourself? Why should he or anyone else do testing when they can't distinguish when gaming? Please don't take it personal.

Mr. Wolf, so you don't notice lag with the 3008. Are you sensitive to it, and have you noticed it with other monitors?

Here are the 2 best subjective techniques I know of to measure it. 1) Do an online reaction time test and measure your average time versus a CRT (like Snowdog did). 2) In Windows, with "show window contents" enabled, drag a window across the screen with a sharp quick jolt, and see if the window keeps moving after the sound of the mouse against the table stops.
You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

There's only one way you're going to know if the 3008 has input lag: Try it for yourself.

You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

There's only one way you're going to know if the 3008 has input lag: Try it for yourself.
wtf...you're the one who's all about subjective tests with all the different games, and I throw out two much better subjective methods and you say "you can't be serious"?

People post lag results all the time--why would trying it yourself be the only way to determine if it has lag?? And it's not exactly convenient to spend $1500 on one to find out on your own.

wtf...you're the one who's all about subjective tests with all the different games, and I throw out two much better subjective methods and you say "you can't be serious"?

People post lag results all the time--why would trying it yourself be the only way to determine if it has lag?? And it's not exactly convenient to spend $1500 on one to find out on your own.
I've said from the beginning that I speak only for myself. I see no lag... ever. That's all the proof I need without running timers and tests. As far as I'm concerned, input lag is completely subjective. Anyone who relies solely on the opinions of others for something like this will never truly know until trying for himself. If you can't spend the $$ to find out for yourself, then you probably aren't in a position to afford it anyway. In all honesty, I don't give a good fuck whether you or anyone else sees lag. I'm satisfied and that's all that matters to me.

Let's clear up one thing:

- Input lag itself is not subjective, it is the observation or detection of input lag that is subjective.

I can detect input lag when it averages more than 1.5 frames from the LCD monitors I've used. My NEC LCD2690WUXI has input lag (30ms) that I detect slightly, while my Dell 2709W (40ms) has input lag that I can easily detect. I call it the "cursor follows my hand" phenomenon. With some of the low lag monitors based on TN that I've used, I can subjectively say I have felt no input lag.

With others it varies. So, if Mr. Wolf is saying he does not detect input lag, then I don't think anyone can challenge that. Tests of clocks running in clone mode cannot change that opinion.

In essence, enjoy your 3008WFP. Best of luck!

As far as I'm concerned, input lag is completely subjective.
Like 10e said, you're wrong. Lag is physical and measurable.

If you can't spend the $$ to find out for yourself, then you probably aren't in a position to afford it anyway.
What a foolish statement. Why would a person go through the hassle, time, and expense of buying and then returning when they could find out ahead of time? Knowing the lag of the 2709 and 244T, I know not to buy one because I know exactly what it would feel like.

Lag is a spec that should be published. If car horsepower wasn't published, according to you, "if you can't spend the money to determine the horsepower firsthand, then you can't afford the car". Or you could just view the horsepower number before buying...

I can accept 10e's statement as reasonable. Input lag indeed exists, yet I and others may not be perceptive to it. I spent most of 2008 pouring over reviews, reading comments in this and other forums, engaging in discussions over whether the 3008 had intolerable input lag, etc. After months and months of endless questions with few answers, I did something that you seem unwilling to do for yourself: I bought one of these monitors and spent a couple of weeks actually using it for everyday work and entertainment (gaming, HDTV, videos, DVDs). I concluded there was no lag, or to put it accurately as 10e stated, I perceived, noticed, saw, experienced no lag. So, I'll continue enjoying the performance of my 3008 while you continue wringing your hands over who tells you what until someone finally tells you exactly what you want to hear.

While I think Mr Wolf's response is heavily twinged with defensiveness, I think his point is that even if an effect is measurable doesn't mean it is perceived as our eyes/brains/nervous system seem to process with individual differences.

For example, DLP TV's were known to cause rainbows for some people. Despite the internet warnings I bought one and I, nor anyone who watched the TV, ever saw rainbows.

No doubt, I agree completely walkman. But by the same accord why do you waste your time when you don't "give a fuck" about anyone else like wolf, so succinctly put it.

He came in and offered some advice, people ask him to do a simple test which would take merely seconds, and he flips out. Then he defends it with a reasonable argument. He could have just said he wasn't interested in helping out anymore.

Personally I know how zzz feels, I'm very sensitive to input lag and I could tell you immediately if its present, simply by moving the mouse around. Input lag feels somewhat similar to the choppiness of low frame rate.. but actions are just 30-50ms behind. I ran a 2007wfp before I knew dixy about monitors and it was great.. of course I found out later its IPS. Now I'm on a 24" LG because I couldn't tolerate input lag.

I'd love for the 2008 to be everything I'm looking for, but I'm suspect of input lag.. The average person simply doesn't spend enough time on their pcs to notice. Factor in perceived lag if you use a wireless mouse for some average users and you can see where things get hairy.

I think it's important to point out that input lag is not about gaming...
For some it's way worse in windows than when gaming.

And you really can't compare input lag to regular lag in games. Input lag affects everything, regular lag only affects your opponents - in other words it doesn't affect your aim at all (which input lag does). You still have to compensate for regular lag but thats just as easy as pointing the mouse ahead of any movement you want to hit - but with input lag you have to interpolate the lag in the monitor and not only compensate the for the lag itself but also take account the actions you make that haven't made it to the screen yet.
Yes this is always the case - it takes time from thought to action and from the time an image is shown to when you register it. Difference is that you've trained your whole life for that. For that reason I think that in theory everyone could adapt and not be bothered by input lag (at least for when precision isn't of utmost importance) - but I don't think thats the case in reality, for some it truly is a dealbreaker.

I also think placebo is a large part of it (as powerful as that can be it might not really matter if it's placebo or not in the end :p).

Then again I think it is just as important to point out that most people don't notice it. The problem is that in my case for instance I had no way of finding out, a) how I'd react to input lag, and b) how much lag the A02 3008WFP really has.
This post will try to somewhat answer the second issue I had there.

So I've been and is super-busy but I did manage to take photos of input lag on the 3008WFP in various settings. And my graphic card actually allowed me to clone two monitors with different resolutions - so I managed to take photos in native resolution and compare them to a CRT. I did this a while ago and I still haven't got around to process them - thats why I decided to just post them instead of postponing it any further

To know about my test:
My camera probably isn't the best, it is quite hard to make out on many pictures what the latest number really (if you're taking a look at it, make sure to be thorough with this as it's often quite misleading) is so I've focused on images that I can clearly make out.
I have the A02 revision.
All native-resolution test have been achieved using the graphic card scaler (4870x2).
What could be of interest but what I forgot to test is that the 3008WFP supports 85 Hz when using 1920x1200 (or lower). If the input lag is related to the refresh rate (as is widely believed?) that would perhaps cut down the input lag.

Oh, and bringing forward the old CRT and dusting of my computer resulted that the pictures and monitors are a bit dusty :eek:

My findings is that (I haven't made that much of a serious attempt to interpret the images so I could be wrong - I'm therefore linking to the source for people interested) the 3008WFP lags ~31 ms in all tested resolutions.

For those wanting to have a closer look (each .zip archive is about 20 MB):
Native resolution:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/input_lag/native.zip

1280x800:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/input_lag/1280_800.zip

1600x1200:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/input_lag/1600_1200.zip

I hooked up the xbox 360 (via component with 1080p) just to try out the different options for scaling the image.
Streched to fullscreen:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/xbox_component_fullscreen.jpg

Enlarged, keeping aspect ratio:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/xbox_component_aspect_ratio.jpg

1:1 pixel mapping:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/xbox_component_native.jpg

Picture by picture (DVI-D vs. component):
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/xbox_component_pbp.jpg

Close up of a white screen:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/close_up.jpg
(that image is hard to look at for me :p)

Gaming:
Well, when I did theese I regretted doing it and I thought I'd never post them (have that in mind :)). They are boring, they are uncut and bad (both the gameplay, no sound, length, compression and pretty much everything imaginable) BUT the reason for showing them despite that is to just give the people in agony (as I was) just an idea of how much the input lag affects gameplay (I'm of the opinion that you have to experience it first hand, but that isn't an option for many and it wasn't for me). For some reason I had to play in a window to be able to clone the image (the image went black on the CRT if I didn't), I think the resolution is 1024x768 or something but the videocard upscales it to 2560x1600 for the 3008WFP - so it's running in native resolution.
Anyway, you have been warned. 200 MB download.
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb895093/3008wfp/game.zip

In the end I haven't been bothered at all by the lag. I (think I) could detect it in the beginning but now never think about it.

A little OT, what kind of calibrator should I get if I were to get one?

Back