DELL: 5-yr old ultrasharps VS. today's economic line

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
I'm considering upgrading my 20" Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP to a 24" and I saw a 24" Dell E248WFP here that I'm thinking of grabbing but I'm wondering if the image quality would drop at all. Obviously the Ultrasharp's are better but how do the Ultrasharp's of 5-years ago stack up to the economic Dell LCD's of today? It's only really used for gaming so I'm wondering if I'd see any noticeable drop in gaming quality? Obviously I'd love to get a 24" Ultrasharp but the cost jump is just too high for me ATM. I appreciate any and all advice...

You may be very disappointed in the E248WFP. Inexpensive LCDs these days use TN panels, which are inferior to your 2001FP for viewing angle and color rendition.

Yeah, dude, we're in the same boat and I frankly don't like any of the available alternatives to S-IPS.

The E248WFP is a TN panel, with all the colorshifting characteristics of a TN panel.

You may want to visit a retail store and change the vertical viewing angle (ie. lower your head level) when viewing a TN based monitor to see how you feel about all this.

But the E248WFP likely will be a far cry from the 2001FP you have. I can only suggest that going to a *VA panel may be ok with you, but even that market is not doing very well as most manufacturers are going towards TN.

There is one 22" PVA screen widely available, (Lenovo L220X) and one coming (Samsung 2263PW) for the North American market. Both are 1920x1200, and the Lenovo can be purchased for less than $400.00 via online, so that may be an option.

Otherwise a used 2407WFP is a decent alternative if you can find one for a good price.

Regards,

10e

Sorry for the complete LCD noobness, but how do you find out which panel is in each monitor from various brands?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found TFT Central...

Back