Dell 600m

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
Whats the opinion of the 600m here?

Centrino +
pretty cheap
Only thing I dont like about it is the lack of a widescreen display, which I swear I want to so bad for my school laptop (heading to college this fall).

Widescreen adds extra weight and bulkiness. Just something to consider if you are taking a lot of textbooks with you.

I think the 600m is a really good deal now, especially if you catch Dell giving out a good coupon each week.

Definitely a great laptop.

I have had mine since September. I bought it refurbished with a 3year w/ complete care for 1600shipped.

1.3ghz P-M
512 ddr
32mb 9000 ati mobility vid card
cdrw/dvd combo drive
30gb HD
xp home

Not bad I suppose. I saved about 300-400 bucks I think at the time.

Anyway, It's a great machine.

The only complaint I have is battery life. For a true centrino -- it only gets like 3.5hrs with regular use. I'd suggest looking into a modular battery that will up your battery life to over 6hours.

get the d600 over the 600m. Latitudes are built better, the d600 is lighter/thinner, also it has dual pointing devices.

600m is very nice. I've had mine since August and at the time it was the best deal I could find on a laptop. Although I did get a $400 rebate due to a glitch on dells website. I have had no problems at all with it. Runs fast, even plays games like Counter Strike and Warcraft 3, half decently. I would definately reccomend it, especially if you are getting a deal.

Originally posted by GLSauron
Whats the opinion of the 600m here?

Centrino +
pretty cheap
Only thing I dont like about it is the lack of a widescreen display, which I swear I want to so bad for my school laptop (heading to college this fall).

It's a little heavy for my tastes - but I'm pretty picky about weight... Also the battery life isn't great - I get about 4 hours just doing wireless web browsing and word processing. If there is not a big price diff. - definitely get the D600 - the Insiprion series really is not made very well. If you can afford it - get an IBM - they're just sooo much better. Also get single use coupons from the fatwallet forums to bring down the price if you do end up getting a Dell.

Originally posted by CyberCRAP
No it is not. They are almost the exact same price. Maybe $50 difference if that.

Yea sure..starts from 2,236 US and comes with a 20Gb HDD? WTF? add in a few options and it gets way too expensive :rolleyes:

Originally posted by CyberCRAP
get the d600 over the 600m. Latitudes are built better, the d600 is lighter/thinner, also it has dual pointing devices.

I own a 600m and have a d600 for use at work, and I don't see this damn big difference in build quality people sometimes talk about on here. The only major difference I notice between the 2 is the d600 has the extra nipple/eraser pointing device in the middle of the keyboard. I don't see any major build quality differences. The latitude doesnt seem to be built any better than the inspiron to me. :rolleyes:

I love my 600m, though replacing the LCD is über-expensive++. $400 just for the screen! angst!

I have had the 600m tht is in my sig. It works great for me. No problems yet and very happy with the performance.

Back