Dell AW2310 + ATI owners' tip

DevonK

n00b
If you use an ATI video card and find that you cannot get the refresh lock in the CCC to set the display at 120hz for some games (it did not work for me with GTR2), you can download ATI Tray Tools and use it to lock the refresh rate. However with TT enabled the CCC's and the in-game AA and AF settings will not work in some games, and even changing these in Tray Tools did not seem to have any effect.

Solution? Just delete the Dell .icm driver file (1st through the display control panel, then remove the .icm file from /windows/system23/... or wherever it is in your OS.) Now you have 120 in-game and full control over AA and AF via the CCC (Tray Tools not needed).

A big FAIL to Dell for screwing up their driver.:rolleyes: I have had no noticeable effects from not having the driver installed other than seeing a "new hardware" icon parked in the tray area, and getting a dialog box seeking a driver on first reboot that did not recur on later boots. CCC still identifies the monitor correctly through the DVI cable.

Press the menu button - the running resolution appears at the bottom left of the popup menu.

1. press button on monitor that brings up list of options
2. press button labelled "menu"
3. onscreen display menu appears showing brightness and contrast levels - look at extreme bottom, left hand side of the onscreen menu - resolution and refresh rate will be listed eg
"resolution:1920X1080, 120 hz" - this ONLY applies to a dvi connection, not an HDMI connection

I have seen allot of games aimed at Nvidia but they always ran fine w/ ATI. Could this be the first monitor that is Nvidia only, or is it just the fact that ATI drivers cant handle the 120hz refresh rate? I know the 3d part is Nvidia only at the moment as ATI doesn't have a 3D kit yet but ATI should be able to handle the 120hz.

It's a driver not a hardware problem, since without the driver 120hz works fine in games.

How do the .icm files get installed? Do they install from windows update or do you have to install drivers direct from Dell either from a CD or download? I would really like to get the Alienware version. I assume the drivers are the same with it.

Back