Dell Axim x30 or x50v... Which one?

GuruX

Gawd
I'm curious if anyone here has used either the Dell Axim X30 PocketPC, or the x50v. If so, what are your opinions of it?

(I'm looking to get one of these two handhelds in the next few days, and can't seem to make up my mind -- would the VGA display be worth a bit of extra cash, or would the X30 work fine? (The most I'd probably do with the PDA is watch videos and such (aside from PIM duties of course).

I just bought an X50v and im very happy with it. The screen is amazing! Once you see a VGA screen compared to a QVGA one, its hard to go back. Also, the 50v has the intel graphics in it - video playback is smooth as anything (if thats important to you). I bought mine for video/mp3 usage and GPS for the car (bought navigator4 and its great). I tried out the new palm lifedrive, but the screen on that sucks compared to the Axim. Take a look over at aximsite.com if you want more advice, its a great forum/site.

Thanks for the recommendation (and the site).

I went and ordered the x50v today. :)

roninblade said:
great choice, might want to check out this site. www.aximsite.com

Summoner beat you to the punch with that one (last sentence). :)

Enjoying that site a fair bit (and just posted in there that I was getting the x50v). That site is filled with a lot of info for Axim owners (heck, ANY Pocket PC owner can benefit from the info on that site).

X50v, no contest. Mine is by far the nicest PPC I've used (and I've used plenty of them, since I worked on testing of mobile device apps for a while) and you can do all sorts of cool stuff with it, like fit two feature length movies on an SD card and use it as a portable video player.) The X30 is nice too, but is probably going to be going away soon, and will most likely not be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 5.

yep aximsite is a fast forum, the nice thing about the X50V is that its Windows Mobile 5.0 Ready

I have both the Axim X50v and X30H... Well, my girl friend has the X30, but I play with every now and then... The comment about the screen is absolutely correct... The Image quality is far superior compared to the X30H. An added bonus for the X50 is the CF and SD slots... I have 2 - 1gig CF cards and 1 - 1gig SD card... Perfect for storing movies, pics and mp3s...

The X50v is however, thicker and heavier then the X30... The battery is also does't last as long... I typically run mine on power save or auto and it last me a good 3-4 hours of straight usage watching videos or playing games... If I just use it for PIM, i don't have to charge it for up to 5 days...

Back