Dell C1xx series "futureproof" for vSphere 6?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Disclaimer: I realize that this is all speculation at this point.

I am considering to buy a few more of the Dell C1100 with 144 GB of RAM each, the deals are just really good. But ..., given that the hardware was originally released in 2010 (though the servers are from 2011), I do have to ask myself whether it's likely that they will no longer be supported come vSphere 6. This isn't as much a HCL issue as it is a "cannot install and run" issue.

For example, the Dell 2950 isn't on the HCL for vSphere 5.5 anymore, though it still works with 5.5, it's just so old that they didn't test or whatever.

I'd rather not spend the cash if I can't get another 2-3 years out of those servers (running workloads which are not mission-critical, i.e. modelling, labs, test, dev, etc.).

Thoughts?

If it will 'need' anything, probably going to be a VIB for the NICs.

Thuleman - a majority of the reasons for why something goes off the HCL is the EOL of the product... I.e. the 2950's from a Dell Perspective has an End of Life 12/2013.

What we see is that when a product hits that area the vendor doesn't want to take the time and run it through the testing for VMware HCL approval as they have newer products and products that are still in Serviceable timeframes that they would spend the time putting on there instead.

As you said the 2950s are not on the HCL but they run there are a lot of other products that are the same way. Best thing to assume is if its on the HCL and not EOL'ed then it has a higher probability for being future proof.

Also there were 2 models the 2950 and the 2950-III the 2950-III is still on the HCL for 5.5+

I cannot speak to vSphere 6 as it is a ways out and things are gonna change when it really comes to production. one thing to keep in mind is that vSphere 5.5 will be pushing patches after the release of vSphere 6 is released, you can always stay in the supported 5.5.x Chain to keep these servers functional and happy if they dont make it on the newer HCL.

Last edited:
I'd strongly suspect that they'll be fine processor wise - still nehalems there.

the 2950s had a few different breeds i.e.

2950 - Gen 1s were Clovertowns (Core based processor) (53xx Series) i would def call not future proof by any means.

the 2950 - Gen 3s had (55xx Series) which are Nehalems and i think those will stick around for at least a few more years!

The Dell C1100 Chassis should be good the C6100 had a few breeds similar to the Gen1 and Gen3 2950s - Just sold off my C6100 ran great on the 5.5 stuff

The C1100s are still supported as an active product. I'd expect decent support for the next 2-3 years and possibly longer.

the 2950s had a few different breeds i.e.

2950 - Gen 1s were Clovertowns (Core based processor) (53xx Series) i would def call not future proof by any means.

the 2950 - Gen 3s had (55xx Series) which are Nehalems and i think those will stick around for at least a few more years!

The Dell C1100 Chassis should be good the C6100 had a few breeds similar to the Gen1 and Gen3 2950s - Just sold off my C6100 ran great on the 5.5 stuff

Close your right kinda right

Gen 1 hardware only supported 5100 and 5200 series (Core Based dual cores)

Gen 2 added Clovertown support (5300 series 65NM Core based quads)

Gen 3 added Harpertown support (5400 series 45NM Core based quads)

Back