Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

ATW said:
. If I lean my head slightly to either direction, the details in the dark areas become more dinstinguished, and the color drop-off at extreme angles doesn't seem too significant to me, although it may to someone else. I'll probably try and get another one cross-shipped and try my luck one more time, and just keep whatever I happen to get.

Simply put, if it doesn't bother you keep it, and stop worrying. I would estimate that less than 10% of people have issue with the shifty nature of these panels(sort of like rainbows on DLP). Use it for everything you plan to use it for, for a week and if it seems fine keep it.

I bought my first panel when I thought they were all the same(both S-IPS and PVA list 178+ viewing angles). I got a PVA Dell 2405. 10 minutes into using it, it was driving me nuts with the tone shifting. I honestly couldn't stand using it and sold it after a week. Next was an S-PVA 2007fp (supposed to be S-IPS, damn lottery) and the same effect. I returned it (It also had banding/blur), next I tried a cheapo 17"TN screen that I still have. It doesn't bother me at all, because it doesn't shift horizontally like a VA. (most annoying and pronounced effects are from the horizontal shift).

Dell is right in thinking they can get away with this swap because the majority of people won't notice the difference. Though for the minority who can't stand this type of panel, this swap is a huge deal. For those of you thinking you need a S-IPS to compare with, then obviously you are not suffering the grief this panel type gives to a minority of users, and for you the panel type is no big deal.

Though I still think for everyone, dell should be clear about what we are buying and not ship us a random product.

Just received my 2007wfp: A03, Made in Mexico, RT803. So far I am very pleased although there are some dead pixels in the upper left hand corner. This is my first LCD coming from a 19" CRT and it looks great, though I don't have a point of reference so I can't say if it's definitely S-IPS/S-PVA.

rseiler said:
Can you rephrase that? I'm not familiar with color wash.
See the horizontal red bar above and below? I see the same shade/tint of red all the way across. The Gateway 22 and to an extent Samsung 205BW would display a variance in tint going from left to right. The Gateway actually had variance from left, center, right. That is to say it was brighter, darker, brighter as you looked across the red heading...not good times.

The situation gets worse as you move your head around or sit from a different position. Some folks don't keep there head perfectly still when gaming, browsing, etc and it's distracting IMO. With the S-IPS, I can lean all up in my chair if I'm getting tired and still see the same shades of whatever I'm looking at.

I was planning on buying a 2407FPW or 2407WFP which is S-PVA, does this mean it's inferior compared to a 2007WFP with S-IPS? Should I get a 2007FPW instead?

With dell's new painful ideas of not explaining which panel or rev. you will get is downright disgusting. The best idea is to take your money elsewhere. To just say 'this is a 2107 or 2407' etc. with no details - not with my money thanks. Also the way they have deleted threads & posts on their forum is not helping their cause. The policy seems to be now that 'we sell enough to people who don't complain, why worry about people who know what they are buying or can see the defects?'
btw. I am a member of dell's forums & help people with their monitor problems :cool:
cheers

forbidden,
Yes, I do know that you do help as well ;) But we can't help sticking it to the some of the idiots on that site...Can we? I wonder how ATF is going?
Oh, well, bed calls & I've got that gear starting to come from tomorrow :D God I am a stirrer..
cheers bb8lr

I'll never buy another Dell product again! Just received the replacement and its also a S-PVA panel! :mad: I don't know what to do now. If I exchange the replacement as well I will probably just get another PVA panel for the third time and if I decide to return ir for a refund I will have to pay the restocking fee plus shipping it back to them. If I knew it was going to be this much trouble I would have saved $120 and bought the Benq when it was on sale.

OUCH said:
I was planning on buying a 2407FPW or 2407WFP which is S-PVA, does this mean it's inferior compared to a 2007WFP with S-IPS? Should I get a 2007FPW instead?

S-IPS is not absolutely better except that it's almost always more expensive. As Snowdog explained above, there is a color shift on horizontal angles and that's the biggest downside. However, not everyone is sensitive to this shift. There are many out there that couldn't tell you the difference between any of the panel types (TN, PVA, MVA, S-IPS, AS-IPS, etc.) just by looking at it. The same with input lag. Some people are really bothered by a little input lag because the mouse keeps on "missing"; others can't tell it's there.

There are some advantages to S-PVA, such as they handle dark colors a little better when looking straight on. There are also major advantages to S-IPS, such as viewing angles and colors among other things. I can't tell you if you would be bothered by a PVA monitor. Only you will know.

If you have to dig into the service panel to figure out what panel type you have, then you're probably not sensitive and that's why Dell can do the switch. (I don't agree with the sneakiness and think they should have a different model number/pricing for the different panels types, but that's a whole other post.) Many people can't tell. If you just use it and can't stand it after a few hours without looking at the service tag, then yeah, the S-PVA is not for you. Realistically, by posting here and being interested in hardware and staring at monitors for long periods of time, there's a higher chance that people on hardware boards can tell the difference over those people of the general population.

The 2407 is okay. You might want to consider the BenQ FP241W if you want to go that big. For 20", Dell is a decent monitor for that price if (1) you get the S-IPS, (2) you get the S-PVA and can't tell. Otherwise, the HP LP2065 is S-IPS, but it's 4:3. The NEC 20WMGX2 is good quality but that's significantly more expensive.

a123456 said:
There are many out there that couldn't tell you the difference between any of the panel types (TN, PVA, MVA, S-IPS, AS-IPS, etc.) just by looking at it.

You're talking about Joe Blow, not [H]forumite. ;)

I got mine up here in Toronto. A03, Mexico. RT803, V1B18. Looks awesome, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels. My only worry is if I order another one after x-mas, will it look the same?

Jodiuh said:
You're talking about Joe Blow, not [H]forumite. ;)

I know, and I said as such later in my post when I thought about it. But I'm not assuming anything over the Internet. :)

is every 2007WFP rev A02 is S-IPS? or there is a lottery there too?
if so, what are the codes of each panel, or, if they don't have one, how can I distinguish between the different A02's ?

maphisto324 said:
how can I distinguish between the different A02's ?

Look at it from the side and it should be clear as day with dark images. :)

Otherwise, earlier in the thread, there are panel codes for A02 and A03s.

can u show me where the codes of the A02?

I can't look at the angles\black\etc' because I don't have the monitor yet. what I'm trying to do, is to check according to the code what kind of monitor the store which I buy from sell, and therefor avoid all the exchanges.

I've tried to ask one store today, and they only knew to tell me that their panel is from Samsung. I didnt need much more info after that, but other stored probably won't know this info, so I guess I could only tell them to look at the sticker behind the monitor...

The only way to access the codes is to go into the service menu. Also, I am not sure if the A02 revision even has codes like the A03 does. I think they just list the model of the panel which would let you know for sure if it was S-PVA or S-IPS.

Just received my 2007 and its revision A02 - S-IPS panel........backlight bleeding :(

Tried to take a pic....this is best I could get......should I be worried?

That does seem like a lot of bleed from that pic. Does it bother you in normal use? If not I wouldn't take the chance of exchanging it and getting a S-PVA panel.

Yup......caught between a rock and a hard place really?

I only notice it on boot when screen is blacker....and it seems to get worse the longer its running...as on first boot its barely noticeable.

Cant say I've noticed on normal use or in any games though.......

It's entering the 'lottery' again that worries me.....I could end up with worse! :(

I must be blind because all I see is black... I can't even make out the frame of the screen :eek:

If you click on image after it has loaded to make it larger.....then look at the right hand side near to the bottom..........

It's not a very good pic....had to turn flash off to avoid the glare......

I'm looking @ a CRT and it's black. It'll tell ya what tho, I had a Sceptre with nasty X pattern and it didn't show up as anything to worry about in a pic. So just because we can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

My 2007WFP's got a touch of bleed, but you really have to be looking. Nothing to worry about. No dead/stuck pixels...just beautiful IQ.

Is a PM330 definitely a PVA panel? I just now, for the first time, checked for backlight bleed with a black screen, and noticed the purple tinge when viewed at an angle, like the IPS panels.

This backlight bleed looks pretty bad compared to others I've seen.

ATW said:
Is a PM330 definitely a PVA panel? I just now, for the first time, checked for backlight bleed with a black screen, and noticed the purple tinge when viewed at an angle, like the IPS panels.

Yes, it is almost certainly PVA(IMO). Someone else posted that he saw a slight purple tint on the PV330, but then he showed pictures and it clearly showed the tone shift that is the main grief with PVA.

I don't want a S-IPS because it has an off angle purple tinge, but because it has much, MUCH, less tone shift.

As I have posted before, most people don't even notice the tone shift. If the tone shift isn't obvious to you in normal usage (games/internet) then don't worry about what type it is. My PVA was driving me nuts the first ten minutes of using it.

Taken another pic with high ISO settings........bear in mind this is not how it really looks to the eye and that the screen is actually BLACK and not blue as shown.......but it does highlight the bleeding somewhat...... :(

Snowdog said:
As I have posted before, most people don't even notice the tone shift. If the tone shift isn't obvious to you in normal usage (games/internet) then don't worry about what type it is. My PVA was driving me nuts the first ten minutes of using it.

The only thing that drives me nuts about it (and it may be what you're referring to), is how dark it is when viewing it straight on. In games with dark areas, I literally have to lean my head a little so I can make out the details or see what's ahead of me.

ATW said:
The only thing that drives me nuts about it (and it may be what you're referring to), is how dark it is when viewing it straight on. In games with dark areas, I literally have to lean my head a little so I can make out the details or see what's ahead of me.

That is a dead giveaway that it is PVA. Though I tend to describe it as washing out to the sides, it is the same effect. The thing that drove me most crazy was that because of this each eye actually sees a different image and this was interpreted by my brain as glare/false 3d effect. It was much harder on my eyes and I tended to have more eye strain.

I requested an RMA on it, not because it's PVA, but the backlight bleed. One would have to assume Dell ships products out using FIFO, which would mean the Nashville warehouse most likely doesn't have a single S-IPS left. The last few monitors from there being PVA all but proves that as fact.

ATW said:

Like a NFS game? How I despised the Gateway 22 that had this issue. The S-IPS's been consistently A+ in this test. Then of course there's the "I can lounge anyway I want in my chair and see the same red/blue/green" factor. :D

Returnning to Dell's fairly simple, do it til you get the goodies!

Jodiuh said:

I'm trying to get them to charge me the 20% off price for another one, and I trade UPS this one for that one...that way I'm not widescreen-less for a few days. May not be so simple, but we shall see.

Jodiuh said:

Seems like a large PITA. Someone in the Dell forums sent back his PVA and got another PVA. You could get five in row.

This lotto stuff is very unprofessional on Dells part. Instead of the Dell 2007fp I sent back, I will buy a HP 2065. Dealing with a reputable company that will ship the same type of panel to everyone. Though after the Dell I bought a new CRT so I am in no hurry.

Here is the guy who got two PVAs in a row.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=69360

ATW said:
I requested an RMA on it, not because it's PVA, but the backlight bleed. One would have to assume Dell ships products out using FIFO, which would mean the Nashville warehouse most likely doesn't have a single S-IPS left. The last few monitors from there being PVA all but proves that as fact.
Good call. I got an S-PVA 2007WFP from there as well, but only had minor backlight bleed at the corners; whereas yours looks significant.

Mine actually looked excellent in almost all respects, but did have one tiny pixel stuck on blue. I decided to trade up within the first 21 days to a 2407WFP which I just got tonight.

I'm starting to think that unless your primary goal is editing images all day, or unless your eyes have issues with color-shift on S-PVA panels (I think the number of people with this problem is relatively low) that the S-IPS vs S-PVA thing is somewhat overblown. The one reason I think people have a right to be disappointed for is that Dell started with one technology, changed to another, and didn't feel the need to make a model change or let people know, so they'd know they were getting consistency. I know that if I bought one Dell LCD, and then another six months down the road for dual-display, I'd want them to have the same panel to keep things uniform.

Hi, I joined this forum because I just bought a 2007WFP and I thought I'd contribute. Mine is revision A03, made in Mexico and shipped from Nashville. It is the PM330 panel and based on what everyone is saying on this forum, it's a PVA panel. The color shift doesn't bother me, but there is definitely a dark spot when looking head on.
The one thing that's REALLY bothering me is that it doesn't save separate settings for each input source (Macbook over DVI and Xbox 360 on VGA). But once the settings are corrected, it looks more than good to me for both applications.

unclepaulie said:
The one thing that's REALLY bothering me is that it doesn't save separate settings for each input source (Macbook over DVI and Xbox 360 on VGA). But once the settings are corrected, it looks more than good to me for both applications.

Glad to see that you're happy in general with the monitor. Unfortunately, this issue has been brought up before. The settings don't stick with the modes. Chris at the Dell forums "promised" to bring it up at the next meeting but never updated on the status of the request. It's for all types of 2007s, so it's not really fixable unless they come out with a firmware patch possibly.

hi all,
I have ordered an 2007WFP & rolled the dice hoping to get an S-IPS panel monitor.

Is there a way to tell without opening the box what panel i will have? anyone know if just because you get a Rev. A02 you will necessarily have an S-IPS panel?

Also, regardless of if i open the box or not, if i return it within 21 days will i definatly be getting back a refurb?

sorry, there's a level of panic setting in now lol

No, you will have to power on the monitor to find out if its S-IPS or not. When I asked Dell about getting an S-IPS panel, they said they do not even know which panels are S-IPS or S-PVA when they build them. I did not get back a refurb for my exchange, of course I also got a S-PVA panel the second time. Hopefully three is my lucky number. ;)

dnsrunner said:
hi all,
I have ordered an 2007WFP & rolled the dice hoping to get an S-IPS panel monitor.

Is there a way to tell without opening the box what panel i will have? anyone know if just because you get a Rev. A02 you will necessarily have an S-IPS panel?

Also, regardless of if i open the box or not, if i return it within 21 days will i definatly be getting back a refurb?

sorry, there's a level of panic setting in now lol

As mentioned, you have to power it on. Both A02 and A03 have both types of panels. If you return it within the 21 day period, they're supposed to send you a new one, not a refurb. It's after the "trial" period is over that they send you refurbs, so get the one you want right away rather than waiting around.

excellent,
thanks for the heads up guys. I will examine it thoroughly as soon as i recieve it and post what i find here for anyone else delving into this madness :p
being sure to initiate the return promptly if necessary
keepin my fingers crossed.....

I got a new 2007FPW yesterday (Rev03 - delivered from Austin). It has the V1B18 PM330 markers. This is a brutal monitor lol. I not only think its PVA I think it must be a poopy PVA at that. Videos I made in past look revolting on this - and I'm not that picky. Even the mouse pointer ghosts a lot (this forum being black really shows it) and video looks watery and highly degraded compared to my antique Gateway CRT. I have the "screen door" bit (pronounced). I have stuck green pixels right in the upper middle left area where my vision is while reading on the web.

The monitor is ghastly bright - and I dont see it adjusting well without loss of details (even 40% feels like too much). I had photos that I know have details in dark areas but when I look at them straight on I can't see them. A tilt and pivot of me head to the side brings details back when I hit the right angle. Looking at this reminds me of those magic eye stereograms. Elusive elements and areas of the screen seem to have to struggle with each other to integrate into a whole. Any motion on the screen makes that an impossibility.

Right now I am wondering if even S-IPS is worth it (I have no experience with it). I might just be a CRT person to the core. I filled out a Dell return online and they replied they would take it back with no restocking fee. Not sure if I should return or exchange it. The NEC 20WMGX2 is well regarded.

In any event, I don't think anyone wondering if a PM330 is an ISP should waste anymore time. If this is S-SP then S-ISP is also a bad joke.

*Goes to dustoff CRT"

Back