Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Can't we use the media to attack likes of Dell and HP for this anti consumer crap? Whatever happened to consumer rights? :mad: :eek:

The media is quite silent on Dell and that is no doubt due to the huge amount of money they spend on ads. I have seen many PC publcations and websites and I haven't read anything critical about Dell in any of them.

This week there is a lot of business news about Dell. Yesterday they said income fell by a third in last quarter. This was just in NY Times:

"Because the company has failed to file audited results to the S.E.C. for the last three quarters, Nasdaq has threatened to delist it. But Dell said that Nasdaq had given it until May 4 to submit information before taking any action"

Fair to say Dell has to be in a real mess to not even be able to file reports to SEC. They also lost 20% of it top execs in a year.

Low sales are blamed on the decline of the desktop (which means monitors too) and Dell's failure to attract people to it's notebooks. That had to be due to the battery problem I think (oh and I see Lenovo is having battery problems and a recall now - with a different issue).

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/t...em&ex=1172984400&en=ad376817d1cd096e&ei=5087

Does anyone know how to check the warranty on the monitors?

I only see the option of checking warranty for Dell systems with service tags.

Monitor: 2007FP
Code: V1B22 HN210
Manufactured: Mexico, February 2007 Rev 04
Reordered: February 28, 2007
Shipping Location: Austin, TX
Shipped: February 28, 2007
Delivered: March 1, 2007

Wow, good news. I re-ordered mine on the exact same day, and it says it has shipped. Looks like it shipped the day after yours, hopefully from the same depot. Maybe I'll get lucky.....

I should be getting mine tuesday, but I won't be able to mess with it until wednesday. So I'll give you guys the number on that. My order was shipped from Nashville, TN though

well I just bought a 2007WFP and I THINK I won the lottery. This is my first LCD screen so I'm not positive on what I am looking for to tell which panel I have. However, it is RT803 and if I look at it from the side with a black screen up it takes on a purple color. So, what do you guys think, did I win the lottery?

Oh and it's an A04, made February 07 in Mexico, shipped from Austin, Texas.

I purchased a 2007wfp over the weekend. I live in Austin - it shipped Monday, arrived today. It is an S-IPS panel. Before I bought I quizzed three different phone reps. All assured me that Dell is currently shipping only S-IPS panels for both the 2007wfp and the 2007fp.

Good luck.

I purchased a 2007wfp over the weekend. I live in Austin - it shipped Monday, arrived today. It is an S-IPS panel. Before I bought I quizzed three different phone reps. All assured me that Dell is currently shipping only S-IPS panels for both the 2007wfp and the 2007fp.

Good luck.

huh? did you further question them to see if they really knew what they were talking about though? like made sure they didnt say "oh only like, our first shipment was PVA, we fixed that a while ago"?

i'd like to beleive that the A04 revision is IPS only, but i think someone already got a PVA one........btw did anyone ever find out what the A04 actually changed?

Dammit. God doesn't love me.

Re-ordered a 2007FP on Feb. 28, it shipped March 1, arrived March 5.

Shipped from Austin, TX.

Rev. A04, made in Mexico, February 2007

UW473

It's going back, obviously. But I wonder if there are limits to doing cross-ships, i.e. they won't ship me a replacement until I arrange for pick-up of either the original or the replacement. I want to re-order soon because everyone has all these grand stories of Rev A04 made in mexico S-IPS.

If this monitor didn't look so sexy I'd just get the HP LP2065 (though that might be a lottery now too).

I got the A04 as well. Made in Mexico, Not sure where to get the other info...looking at it from the side..well its not really green..could be my lighting in the house.. but it looks like..purple..reddish.. I'll give you updates later on..

huh? did you further question them to see if they really knew what they were talking about though? like made sure they didnt say "oh only like, our first shipment was PVA, we fixed that a while ago"?

i'd like to beleive that the A04 revision is IPS only, but i think someone already got a PVA one........btw did anyone ever find out what the A04 actually changed?

to amend what i just said, i am mainly refering to the WFP, i'm not so sure about the FP version and if its panel status is linked in any way.

I don't have any more info than what I posted. Two of the people I spoke with had to go consult someone else before answering, one seemed more informed.

When I follow the procedure to show the hidden service menu (1. turn off monitor 2. while holding down the menu and + buttons press power back on 3. release those buttons 4. after about 1 second press the - button), the monitor is shown as RT803, which indicates S-IPS. From the side blacks do look at bit purple-red.

Of course I can't guarantee anyone an IPS panel, but I thought it worthwhile to pass on their assertion and my experience.

Incidentally, I bought this monitor in order to return a 24" BenQ FP241W. Ultimately (say within 6 months or so) I want to add anothher monitor or replace it with a single larger one.

There was quite a bit to like about the BenQ - no dead pixels, even backlight, great blacks, great viewing angle, often beautiful images, great video play - but looking at it hurt my eyes. It was very bright, and I found it very difficult to adjust for both acceptable brightness and acceptable display. Also, perhaps as a result of the matte coating, the image had a shimmering effect that reminded me of looking at an old-time interlaced display or a CRT with a low refresh rate. I also see this effect on the Dell to some extent, but I find it more bearable. The BenQ's slightly greater dot pitch seemed to be enough to make some things look wispy - some text especially. Guess I'm spoiled - for years I used a Silicon Graphics 1600SW with a dot pitch under .23 ( 1680x1024 on a 17" diagonal).

I don't have any more info than what I posted. Two of the people I spoke with had to go consult someone else before answering, one seemed more informed.

When I follow the procedure to show the hidden service menu (1. turn off monitor 2. while holding down the menu and + buttons press power back on 3. release those buttons 4. after about 1 second press the - button), the monitor is shown as RT803, which indicates S-IPS. From the side blacks do look at bit purple-red.

Of course I can't guarantee anyone an IPS panel, but I thought it worthwhile to pass on their assertion and my experience.

Incidentally, I bought this monitor in order to return a 24" BenQ FP241W. Ultimately (say within 6 months or so) I want to add anothher monitor or replace it with a single larger one.

There was quite a bit to like about the BenQ - no dead pixels, even backlight, great blacks, great viewing angle, often beautiful images, great video play - but looking at it hurt my eyes. It was very bright, and I found it very difficult to adjust for both acceptable brightness and acceptable display. Also, perhaps as a result of the matte coating, the image had a shimmering effect that reminded me of looking at an old-time interlaced display or a CRT with a low refresh rate. I also see this effect on the Dell to some extent, but I find it more bearable. The BenQ's slightly greater dot pitch seemed to be enough to make some things look wispy - some text especially. Guess I'm spoiled - for years I used a Silicon Graphics 1600SW with a dot pitch under .23 ( 1680x1024 on a 17" diagonal).

oh it's just that recent experience, not just at dell but at other places would tell me that if someone say, unsurprisingly got a PVA panel and you or someone called them up and asked them about that garuntee, i could very easily say them saying "why would someone say that? i dont know anything about that" or "sir we really do have no way of really knowing, so no one should have said that".

granted if that indeed were true and they did somehow know it that would be quite the boon.

how is your monitor otherwise though? there seeminlgy have been a resurgance of banding complaints (although pretty small) and that flickering issue, while i think though most resolved to it really only happening on certain inversion patterns only when it's working normally, that most monitors eventually flicker on at some point (although this one is strangely only on 1/3rd of its side??)

Well, Dell won't let me exchange my monitor again. They say they won't keep exchanging because there's nothing wrong with them, and if it's a satisfaction issue, I can get a refund, and then put in a new order.

Kind of idiotic, but whatever. Maybe I'll do it. I just don't want to have to go back to using my CRT.... so perhaps I should order the new monitor first, before sending this one back for a refund.

Hello, This is my first LCD I moved from F900B to 2007WFP.
I got RT803 A03 - Made in China o_O...
Well, I think I have a problem \ the screen does: When there is a bright color on the screen, it seems to have a lots of really really small dots on it, or in other words the bright colors are not smooth enough. The white isn't white, and so on.
I think it's not dead pixels because if there are so there are more than 100000 dead pixels on my screen.
b.t.w it's DVI and not VGA..

Jacoby,

Thats most likely the anti-reflective (matte) coating your seeing. Just something you have to get used to or go glossy.

Looks like I joined the lotto today, just ordered a 2007wfp from the outlet site. I need something good to game on for Spring Break while I have my 5 days of freedom from teh GF!!!

Same here EnforcerGT.....Wth happend with the price jump and no coupons at all anywhere.....

Dell had like 20+ percent of it's top execs leave for whatever reason. They were losing money and pissing people off pretty consistently for awhile. It wouldn't surprise me if they get off the pattern of having big discounts evey other week - then selling "down-built" items - then tying up reps and resources (money) paying to have stuff shipped and returned at Dell's expense - and all this numerous times.

Personally I would rather they keep the prices a little higher and keep selling good stuff rather than get people addicted to coupons/sales for second bin stuff sold off during biweekly sales and then returned 3 times. In any event if things haven't changed you know they are going to. Dell lost desktop revenue because businesses werent buying them like they used to. Consumers were buying laptops but Dell was missing that market with the (Sony) battery fiasco. The wheels really came off the wagon at Dell.

I wouldn't buy anything from them now but it like 6 months they will probably have better stuff. The downside might be that they stop selling 20" widescreen S-IPS for $335 one week, then selling $400 using S-PVA the next week trying to adjust for costs - then having 12 people on the phone over a couple weeks making multiple free exchanges. That scene was crazy.

Keep in mind Costco just made its exchages harder too because they said it was being abused.

I really like Dell policy for return and exchange. And you're right, too much abuse and it will get change. Dell right now probably have no ideas why numerous ending call from customer exchanging and returning their display. I don't want to be an ass or anything, but there shouldn't be a Dell lottery display game in the first place. It's people like this, that make customer like me harder to get exchange and return when there is indeed something wrong with my display. Dell never promise you will get IPS panel, but Dell is also fault here for keep changing their panel. Think they took a big mistake when switching to IPS and back to PVA. People have taken advantage of this and abused the system.

well my 2007wfp is beautiful, I love it like crazy. My sound card and video cards on the other hand are driving me nuts. I called dell on wednesday to complain about my sound and they had me take the card out and re-seat it. They said they'd call yesterday to see if it helped...they never called and it started giving me trouble again last night. I'll be calling them soon and asking for a new card...grrrrr. I have been a dell customer for nearly 7 years and I am sad to say that their tech support has declined a great deal over the years.

My two cents on the lottery issue. I do think it is unfortunate that the lottery game has made dell tighten their policies. If a monitor is so good that you can't tell if it's PVA or IPS unless you look on the service menu then what's the big deal? I was actually sort of hoping for a PVA panel because I thought it would be a bit more responsive for gaming...but I'm pretty sure I got the ips panel (RT803) and I'm still happy with it. That being said, I think Dell could have handled the switch better and saved themselves a lot of headaches. They should have been forthcoming about the switch and perhaps they should have let people ask for what kind of panel they wanted. They could have easily seen that their customers don't want PVA...and if that meant increasing the cost a bit to cover the ips panels, so be it.

My two cents on the lottery issue. I do think it is unfortunate that the lottery game has made dell tighten their policies. If a monitor is so good that you can't tell if it's PVA or IPS unless you look on the service menu then what's the big deal? I was actually sort of hoping for a PVA panel because I thought it would be a bit more responsive for gaming...but I'm pretty sure I got the ips panel (RT803) and I'm still happy with it. That being said, I think Dell could have handled the switch better and saved themselves a lot of headaches. They should have been forthcoming about the switch and perhaps they should have let people ask for what kind of panel they wanted. They could have easily seen that their customers don't want PVA...and if that meant increasing the cost a bit to cover the ips panels, so be it.

As the person who started this thread. I can certainly tell without reading the menu. When I first bought an LCD I thought S-IPS and PVA were essentially the same from reading the specs. But the specs are essentially BS. I got headaches from gamma shift on PVA. It shifts so much that it is different to each eye and creates a phony 3d effect. I will never buy another PVA panel. Also PVA is not more responsive. PVA panels are always reporting the worse input lags and again the way they report the specs is BS, they smear/ghost more than S-IPS with the same specs.

In short PVA has more gamma shift, more smear/ghosting, and more input lags. I would choose IPS in a heartbeat and I would pay more for it. Dell should split into 2 models wfp-i and wfp-v. Charge more IPS and everyone would be happy. Instead they do deceptive games and when people start talking about the lotto an checking the panels, they obscure the panel names with code. IMO they deserve the extra cost they are paying in returns.

75479080.VE8vPM9J.va_sips.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/o6/04/606404/1/75479080.VE8vPM9J.va_sips.jpg

I think you have a good idea Snowdog, Dell really should do that. BTW, I'm sure you are right, an experienced lcd user most likely can tell the difference between the two panel types. I wish I could, then I'd know for sure if I had ips or pva. There's still something that makes me think I have PVA even though the RT803 is supposed to be the ips...but oh well, I think it looks great no matter what it is.

I have two 2001FPs I bought from dell about two years ago. The backlight has never been close to even, but I've just been too busy(and lazy) to return them. I'm pretty sure they are SIPS panels. If I return them, would I get stuck with 2007FPs with PVA panels?

Will returning be a problem this late into the warranty since i bought them in March of 2005?

Instead calling in and lies about the monitor being defects or some random issue with it when it isn't a IPS panel. Why aren't people just be straight forward and call in demanding they want an IPS panel instead, that ways if enough people call in and tell them why IPS is more superior, why more people prefer it, and even if it result in the increased cause. I'm pretty sure Dell would do something about it, either separate the 2 panel and call it differently with different price. That way we don't have to play the lottery. I'm pretty sure if they want better business, they listen to the consumers and make them happy. Returning the display just because you don't like it as a PVA is a really bad ideas, they never promise you a IPS in the first place. I know Dell alway use PVA panel because it's a lot cheaper to produce. Keep doing RMA will only result in headache, price increased, as well as more enforce on the return policy due to rise of production cost of RMA, shipping cost, and re-packing fees.

Yeah, I think that's the most straightforward solution.

When I got a PVA, I explained to each person I talked to that a) Dell is sending out two different pieces of hardware under the same model and that b) I would like to exchange this and see if I get the right one next time.

They all told me they could not exchange it unless there was something wrong or broken about the LCD. I cited the color change across the screen annoying me, as well as the fact that the colors did not match my somewhat-blue-tinted S-IPS 2007WFP right next to it, which was also annoying to me (FYI: The S-IPS looked blue-er and the S-PVA looked yellow-er. Neither have been calibrated.). That was enough reason for them to consider the monitor defective and they offered an exchange.

I'm sure Dell must keep notes on why people are returning their products, so if everyone did this (explain the S-IPS/S-PVA problem and how you didn't get the one you wanted - it only took 2-3 minutes per person I spoke to), I think they'll do something about it.

I just got my 2007WFP that I ordered from costco.ca

RT803 - S-IPS :D
Rev. A04
Made in Mexico

It looks pretty good, no dead pixels, I haven't noticed any flickering either...

I just got my refurb, it's an a03 RT803...does this mean I should stick with it or return for a04??

Does someone know what's the difference between A04 and A03?

I don't think that anyone has identified the differences between revision A04 and A03. Dell isn't letting the public know what the difference is either, as someone already asked the question on the Dell forums but didn't get an answer other than "We are not telling you".

I just got my refurb, it's an a03 RT803...does this mean I should stick with it or return for a04??

Unless someone has some additional information on the revision changes, I didn't see it posted in this thread, I would assume that the monitors are nearly identical.

You should check the time usage on it in the menu. Unless it is extremely high, ~1000 hours I wouldn't exchange them unless you notice a problem.

I'd like to order one tonight. Does anyone have one of the 15% off Dell coupons that they're not planning on using? Thanks!

RT-803 ISPS
Rev. A03
Made in Mexico
January 2007
Time Used ~ 240 Hours

There is 1 stuck blue pixel, I am getting another cross shipped to me, keeps fingers crossed.

Back