Dell E228WFP Widescreen LCD *Canadian customers only*

Slawek

Limp Gawd
I just purchased this bad boy...

Dell website:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=CADHS1&sku=320-5205

Redflagdeals website:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/#e24206

Forum discussing monitor:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383599

320-5205.jpg

Dell 22" E228WFP Widescreen LCD Monitor for $329.99 CDN, free shipping.

* 1680x1050 pixel resolution for clear, sharp images
* Offers 300 cd/m² brightness and 800:1 contrast ratio
* 5 ms response time enables crisp and clear images
* Viewing angles of 160° vertical and 160° horizontal
* Digital DVI-D with HDCP connectors

Now I'm just wondering... I have not owned an LCD before. I use a Dell 2007 at work, and it's great. At home I have a Samsung 19" CRT, using a BFG 7900GS OC.

I just purchased this monitor and I'm wondering about the 6bit vs 8bit. Can someone explain to me whether I will be disappointed with this if I'm doing a lot of gaming and watching TV/movies (using a TV tuner).

I do some amateur photo stuff, like resizing, but nothing to do with editing professionally.

I do a lot of surfing too. Mostly gaming tho...

I still have a chance to cancel my order if I would be better off with an 8 bit panel.

People have said for gaming I'm better off with this monitor anyway...

Ok well. I can help you out with experience. Not make the decision for you :)

This monitor uses a TN panel. TN panels have back light uniformity issues, Back light bleeding, higher risk of dead pixels and viewing angle problems. The reason they keep getting made is because they are much cheaper in price then MVA or IPS panels, and have a faster response time.

I have two TN film panel monitors the vx922 (viewsonic) and on my Asus laptop. The viewing angles drive me crazy, and the uneven back lighting on them drives me even more crazy. That being said, I still use my laptop but just get annoyed at the display. The vx922 is going up on Ebay when I get around to it because it's in my closet doing nothing.

Now I use the BenQ fp241 P-MVA panel which has no back light bleeding and great color uniformity. Also have an old school BenQ panel that has an IPS panel that I use for a second monitor.

That being said, you can get use to the TN Film Panels negatives, but the cheaper price and faster response is not worth the drop in picture quality.

I have this monitor (E228WFP) and i'm quite happy with it.

I bought it during boxing day for $299CDN with free shipping.

Now, you have to realize, as others have said, that this is a budget panel, and being so, you have to expect a few downsides.

I have some backlight bleeding on mine, about 8" and 1/2" thick on top and bottom, but, being symmetrical, it's not very noticeable.

THe viewing angle is not bad, my girlfriend and I watch it from the couch (we don't have a TV) and it's just fine. The display itself is very nice to look at (aesthetically, i mean). I play very high paced FPS games (like UT2004, FEAR, etc) and there is NO ghosting.

As long as you aren't expecting amazingly perfect colour and picture, then for $300CDN this monitor is a steal!

Unfortunately I paid $329 CDN, but whatever.. still good deal IMO

As others have said..it has a TN panel which is inferior to the 2007 you use at work. Having said that..there is no reason to believe it will be worse than any of the other 22" panels and imo it is the best looking one of all of them.

BrokenAnimator,

The short GAMUT of the color space of the TN panel and low view angle is well knows side effect with the TN panel. But I don't the see the link between light uniformity issues, Back light bleeding, higher risk of dead pixels and the the fact that the panel is a TN. In fact, the IPS and PVA technonolgy are more difficult to manufacture so... it is not trivial that they have lower risk of dead pixels. Did you have any reference ?!?!

Edgardz

I don't have this monitor but I have the 2407wfp-hc and oh my god... Backlight bleeding and sexy ghosting... mm mmm mmmmm no dead pixels though :)

Made me wanna shoot it ;) But I still love it because ... IT'S HUGE! So much room for Graphic work.

Get the E228WFP monitor, it's a steal and it's damn sexy.

6 bit panel downsides include colour shimmering due to the dithering that is used to simulate 8 bit colour and viewing angle deficiencies. However if you are using this just for yourself (and not for say office use where you are showing other people spreadsheets a lot) then it should be fine; I got my girlfriend one of the Acer 22" LCDs and I was quite impressed with the image quality (I have 2 24" LCDs). Also, all the 22" Widescreen LCDs use the same Chi Mei Optronics panels so the performance should be the same.

Back