[Dell] HOT! Do NOT Miss!

omz said:
anyone know if you can switch out the mobo for another one? im assuming u cant but tahts jsut me....

As long as it's a BTX board, I don't see why not. But the BTX board selection right now isn't exactly big.

i bit, sold the system immediately for cheap to a buddy of mine in need, im also looking to sell this monitor ;) ill have a FS post soon

Centauri said:
As long as it's a BTX board, I don't see why not. But the BTX board selection right now isn't exactly big.
why wouldn't a normal ATX board work? i mean by literally taking out teh chip and moving it to a new board in a new case....pretty much moving everything xcept the motherboard/psu/case :p

It will work, just make sure it fits inside the case and that the PSU will connect properly.

usually dell systems have a funky configuration that pretty much prohibits ATX boards - thats my experience with a couple machines at least.

fastgeek said:
I got this in the mail (as in USPS) last night and was planning to buy the kit, sell the computer and keep the screen. I too went straight to eBay to see what I could pawn it for, not a whole lot. Even Craigslist (in Sacramento for gods sake) has the Dimension 5150 with the P4-D 820 / 1GB / 160GB / etc for $475 and no one is going to pay $400+ for a older tech CPU with less RAM & HDD space.

Then again, if you just want a deal on a 2007FP you can figure, if you're *LUCKY*, getting $350 for the computer if sold locally. Means that the screen will cost $250 + whatever tax you paid when buying the system. I'm actually tempted to do this... but have too many other commitments for my money. :p

If planning on selling the screen too, they're going for $400 on the larger CL sites (SF Bay). So when all is said and done, you might profit $100-$150 on the venture. Now to some of you it's worth the time and effort. But to me? Nah, too much work for too little money. ;)

JMHO!

Regards,
fastgeek

If you can make $100-$150 on the venture, and do it 6-10x per month, you could have yourself a real nice little side income. But it's not free money, and you are playing in a relatively narrow price gap to make money. But like I said, if you can make it work, and do it over and over again, it can be rewarding.

Centauri said:
I'm glad this isn't widescreen, since widescreen monitors have less viewing room and are thus more cheaply priced.

wow ur one dumb pos

do u know what u just typed??

Centauri said:
I'm glad this isn't widescreen, since widescreen monitors have less viewing room and are thus more cheaply priced.

My 24" widescreen rules....

powerade said:
wow ur one dumb pos

do u know what u just typed??
Whats wrong with what he said? Math-wise...

A 20.1" diagonal screen with a 4:3 ratio measures to be 12.1"x16.1", and has a total viewing area of 194.8 square inches.

A 20.1 diagonal screen with a 16:9 ratio measures to be 9.9"x17.5", and has a total viewing area of 173.3 square inches.

I'd say that the standard aspect ratio screen has about 11% more viewing area, thus more pixels, thus makes sense to be more expensive.

8Complex said:
Whats wrong with what he said? Math-wise...

A 20.1" diagonal screen with a 4:3 ratio measures to be 12.1"x16.1", and has a total viewing area of 194.8 square inches.

A 20.1 diagonal screen with a 16:9 ratio measures to be 9.9"x17.5", and has a total viewing area of 173.3 square inches.

I'd say that the standard aspect ratio screen has about 11% more viewing area, thus more pixels, thus makes sense to be more expensive.

You are nearly 100% correct. You need to update your math as the widescreen LCDs are generally NOT 16:9 but 16:10, thus altering your calculating slightly, although not enough to reverse your end conclusions.

The 630 is moddable to 4 ghz...but still not sure this is a great deal, I got the deal in my sig on a desktop last year at this time, and today's deal may not be any better 1 year later....

ir0nw0lf said:
You are nearly 100% correct. You need to update your math as the widescreen LCDs are generally NOT 16:9 but 16:10, thus altering your calculating slightly, although not enough to reverse your end conclusions.
Ahhh, I keep forgetting. New numbers:

A 20.1 diagonal screen with a 16:10 ratio measures to be 10.7"x17.0", and has a total viewing area of 181.9 square inches.

Not quite as bad, only 7% now.

8Complex said:
Ahhh, I keep forgetting. New numbers:

A 20.1 diagonal screen with a 16:10 ratio measures to be 10.7"x17.0", and has a total viewing area of 181.9 square inches.

Not quite as bad, only 7% now.

I love widescreen.... I can read like 6 stories at a time on /. now

although some games like starcraft are unplayable =/

I bit. Shipping is still free. I'll be selling the display on ebay and the system locally. $100 extra is fine by me.

Why is the ram only 533MHz when the CPU is 800MHz? Does it have some old chipset? Or are they just being cheap and you could thow in some 800MHz stuff?

Also, does anyone know how long that this cupon code will be good for?

Thanks,
Ben

Why is the ram only 533MHz when the CPU is 800MHz? Does it have some old chipset? Or are they just being cheap and you could thow in some 800MHz stuff?

Also, does anyone know how long that this cupon code will be good for?

Thanks,
Ben

Its probley a slightly older chipser, but it cant be too old as its BTX standard... either way there is nothing wrong with DDR2-533, in the real world you wont really see any gains running DDR2-800

Anyways, its the 27th 1 day after this expired and I just bout it for $653 to my door. I had to put myself down as a sol business. Did you all have to do that to? And use my SSN for the federal stuff...

Just ordered 1 hour ago. The discount and free shipping are still in effect. I'm spliting the deal with a friend, I want the monitor and he wants the system.

Thanks for the find!

I(illa Bee said:
Its probley a slightly older chipser, but it cant be too old as its BTX standard... either way there is nothing wrong with DDR2-533, in the real world you wont really see any gains running DDR2-800

Anyways, its the 27th 1 day after this expired and I just bout it for $653 to my door. I had to put myself down as a sol business. Did you all have to do that to? And use my SSN for the federal stuff...

Nope, no such hassles.

I just bit, thank you OP! :D

The madre needed a new computer to replace an aging pIII 700mhz at her office, and so I offered this to her instead of the otherwise equivalent celeron system her current IT guy had offered for $70 less than what he would have charged her. She saved $70 and I get a 2007FP for $300 :D :D

My total with tax came to $809.xx (with winxp pro upgrade.)

ButtonPuncher said:
Why is the ram only 533MHz when the CPU is 800MHz? Does it have some old chipset?
I deduced that the board uses the Intel 945G chipset. That's the only chipset that has GMA 950 graphics and a PCI-E 16x slot, both of which Dell specifies is in this system.

The chipset is capable of dual channel operation and Dell spec's the board with 4 RAM slots, but with standard 512MB configuration the board is running a single stick in single channel mode. Just buy a separate stick of RAM that most closely matches the original stick and you'll get dual channel. Since the chipset doesn't officially support 800MHz RAM and the BIOS won't support overclocking, don't bother with expensive enthusiast RAM.

BTW, don't go too crazy with the video card because the PSU is a massive 305W beast. :rolleyes:

Awesome. I may just buy this and then turn around and sell it. How much can I get for the whole deal on ebay? How about just the monitor, or just the system?

j-dawg said:
Awesome. I may just buy this and then turn around and sell it. How much can I get for the whole deal on ebay? How about just the monitor, or just the system?

If you check eBay there's about a bajillion and one people selling Dell stuff, so be awares that there will be a little competition.

just so you guys know that buy.com is having a sale on ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" Widescreen Monitor

Instead of having to buy all that other crap from Dell you can just get the monitor from Buy.

After using the 10% or $15 off coupon everything comes out to $339.95 shipped no rebates, no tax. You could also sign up for a buy.com credit card and get the price down to $309.

Just some food for thought

link
http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic_v...PageFormat/40/imgNum/1/202310998.html#moreimg

http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=88301879&adid=17662

Buckus said:
If you check eBay there's about a bajillion and one people selling Dell stuff, so be awares that there will be a little competition.
And in the end this particular system (Dim 5150, intel 630, 512) with monitor usually goes for about $650-700, sealed in box. So it's not really worth the trouble.

I would also assume that after this deal is over the Bay will be flooded with people trying to sell these. I guess I won't bother after all.

This deal would be hotter if you couldn't get one on eBay for basically the same price.

I just bit.. goddamn impulse buys! I've wanted a 2nd dell 20.1" screen for a while and this was just too good of a deal to pass up

thanks guys

Too hard to resist....must resist...car needs work...

*struggles with hand on mouse*

alkoholik said:
just so you guys know that buy.com is having a sale on ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" Widescreen Monitor

Instead of having to buy all that other crap from Dell you can just get the monitor from Buy.
[/url]

I already ordered the viewsonic and was about cancel that order and jump on this system until I noticed that the Dell monitor isn't a widescreen monitor. 2007FP as opposed to the 2007WFP.

I am gonna stick with viewsonic.

deanx0r said:
2007FP as opposed to the 2007WFP.

LMFAO! I just noticed this...oh well.

I think I might just go with another 17 for more screen space. I'm not playing games anymore, so duallies would be better..

Sweet, I ordered last night at about 6pm, and it's already on it's way to the shipper. Not bad at all!

Don't know the rules about posting coupon codes, but...

There's a 5% off $500 coupon code floating around out there (1000 uses, exp 5/3). I got it shipped to my door for $598 (includes taxes).

Sweet....thanks for the info. I just ordered one for a friend that was going to buy my old system, but there is no way I could let him pass this up. Now all we have to do it find him a good pci-e card for some games.

My friend Eddie says thanks.

Back