Dell Inspiron 8500 GPU Upgrade

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Background - Gotta love stories

This laptop was found by my dad. He is a porter for a residential building here in NYC. He is always finding towers & laptops for me. This was by far his best find though. Specs as it was given to me

Pent 4 M 2.2 ghz
512MB Pc2100 (2x356)
60 gig Hatachi 5400rpm drive (dead)
ATI Mobility 9000 32mb
DVD/CD RW Drive

It was just the laptop. Even though it has some age on it now, it was in great condition. It has one minor crack on the right side. No wires. I ordered a power adapter off of Amazon. I said wth, only $24 for it, not much of a lose. To my surprise, it booted up. Problem was, the HD that was with it was unreadable. Probally had some damage with it I assumed. It spins up & you can hear it trying to read but it was a no go. When I tried to partition the drive, the laptop couldn't find the drive.

With all the spare parts I had laying around, I started digging through a bunch of other older laptops I had laying around. I pulled out a 20 gig from a pent III laptop. Slapped than in the 8500, booted & the drive was detected.

Fast Foward. Since that point about a month ago, I've thrown in a 100 gig drive & placed 2 gigs of memory on it. I gave it to my gf for use in her courses at the university she currently attends. While it works wonderfully, there is just one minor problem. The video playback of some 720p material, & other video in general is not very smooth. It skips from time to time. I see the ATI GPU being the problem.

She only plays 2 games on the PC end. Those games being the Sims 2 & Second Life. They both run, just not very well. Here is where my question comes in. Am I able to switch an ATI based 9000 out of it & replace it with the more capable Geforce go 4200? There is an excellent tutorial on the net shows step by stop on how to switch the 9000 out & replace it with the 9600 pro turbo. I can't find that gpu no where but the 4200 go still sells at quite a few places for cheap.

Thx a lot for any reply I get. I apologize for the extended post.

Looking around the net, it seems like a basic drop in replacement. Both the 9600 and 4200 are available on eBay if you search there.

But for ~$80, do you think the 15% or so increase in framerates would be worth it?

I did suggest that I just get her a much better laptop all together with Black Friday being tomorrow. She has just grown to attached to it. Girls are strange like that sometimes =P. I figured the 9600 would be quite a boost from the current 9000 in laptop. I can find that no where however. Not even on E Bay. The 4200 is much easier to find & I can get there for a mere $20 in a few places that carry the part. That wouldn't be much of an upgrade though I would think.

Back