Dell Inspiron 9400 / Core Duo T2500 / 7800go Benchmarked

DarthBeavis said:
I got grill marks on my testes from my Hyper FX 7. It smelled like October Fest in my house.
lOl! that sounds terrible! Maybe you should put your laptop on a takeout tray ;)

Well I'm more of a reader than a poster but I'm to damn excited about my new laptop :D My E1705 is ordered with followind Specs :

Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 512MB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 7800
Hard Drive 60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Carrying Cases Large Backpack Carrying Case
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Wireless Personal Networking Card Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
Operating System Backup & Recovery Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition backup CD

I got 2 gigs corsair at 667 comming from newegg :) can't WAIT to overclock the 7800 and see what this baby can do! Will post my benchmarks here as soon as I get a clean install on it

Bright call with that 677 ram, that's exactly what I would do... nice system, how much was it?

Also, let me know how those dell wireless cards work out for you, cause I'm debating, I think the intels are better...

I'm probably going to end up jimmy riggin' me up a better antena anyways, but I'd like to start with the best, especially since they're internal.

Stormlifter said:
Bright call with that 677 ram, that's exactly what I would do... nice system, how much was it?

Also, let me know how those dell wireless cards work out for you, cause I'm debating, I think the intels are better...

I'm probably going to end up jimmy riggin' me up a better antena anyways, but I'd like to start with the best, especially since they're internal.

I have the dell wireless, and it's fine. Haven't noticed any problems yet. What do you mean by internal? My dell wireless is internal.

As far as the 667 ram vs the 533, I don't think there's much of a performance difference if you have 2 of the 533's. It runs dual channel, so it's effectively 1066. The fsb of the core duo is 667. The only way you'll take a performance hit is if you run a single stick of 533. However, 2gb vs 512mb is where the performance jump will be :D

it was 18xx.xx shipped. used the 650.00 off 1999.99 coupon floating around the web :) was more than I wanted to spend but I had just bought a compaq v2000 and it was an awsome laptop EXCEPT the vid card was a ati x200ip and it SUCKED. was another 500 getting this laptop but I can almost sell my desktop lol

OSEProphecy said:
I can almost sell my desktop lol

That's what I did :D I'm loving the T2500 over my venice @ 2.7ghz. (still for sale by the way ;) )

I got my e1705 yesterday I was looking for drivers for the 7800 go all i can find are ones on dells site are there any better ones out there?

okie yeah i found it about the same time you posted :) I was able to run wow 1400x 900 everything i could possibly turn on high on high ran perfectly also watched it never took cpu over 20 or 30 % I have not been able to get bef2 to run on it yet though :( get the splash screen for like 5 minutes then crashes never actually tries to load though. I have tried forcing it to load 1400x 900 also 800 x 600 no change at all with either,.

Well I got the E1705 yesterday and I still have not gotten it running correctly with media direct! I found out that there are 3 partitions on the hard drive and one of them is the media direct. I formated the drive and upon reinstalling windows when i ran the media direct repair cd it fubar'd my xp ijnstall. I am on my third windows reinstall. let you guys kniow more once I sort this out.

alright here we go. first this thing rocks! no benchmarks yet, sorry been to busy playing :p I'll post them soon. I finaly got the media direct working. anyone that has a E1705/9400 will tell you that it is a nightmare if your the type of person that likes to reformat and make a clean install. On these systems the hard drive comes partitioned into 3 sections, the Winxp section, the dell restore section and a utillities section. Well as I stated abouve I formated the whole thing and did a clean install. I finaly got it working and I wanted to share how. I am going to make a new thread and make a link here as it is off the topic. I can say though that I am enjoying WOW, BF2, and DOD Source at 1900x1200 full everything :) my desktop is definatly going bye bye

ok here come the benchmarks. I have not overclocked anything because it just don't seem to need it. Everything is at stock :

3dmark 06 - 2138
3dmark05 - failed to finish (Older version, but to lazy to DL the last version)
Aquamark - 59xxx

Now REAL benchmarking :
WOW plays at 1900x1200 full everything
Day Of Defeat Source plays at 1900x1200 full everything including HDR
Call Of Duty 2 plays at 1600x1050 everything to full
Battlefield 2 plays at 1900x1200 everything to full (small server used for test)

TO CLARIFY : Sorry, by my meaning of "everything to full" this referes to the IN GAME settings through the games menus. As for the driver settings, they were left stock as stated above, no changes at all The three main options for example, Antialiasing and Anisotropic are set to "Aplication-Controlled" and Image settings are at "Quality"

more comming..

OSEProphecy said:
ok here come the benchmarks. I have not overclocked anything because it just don't seem to need it. Everything is at stock :

3dmark 06 - 2138
3dmark05 - failed to finish (Older version, but to lazy to DL the last version)
Aquamark - 59xxx

Now REAL benchmarking :
WOW plays at 1900x1200 full everything
Day Of Defeat Source plays at 1900x1200 full everything including HDR
Call Of Duty 2 plays at 1600x1050 everything to full
Battlefield 2 plays at 1900x1200 everything to full (small server used for test)

more comming..

You should clarify your quality settings instead of just saying "full". I know that doesn't mean 16x AF & 4x AA because COD2 struggles during battles at 1440x900 with those on. And DOD:S slows down during intese action with those settings. And my 7800go is oc'd

However, if you take out the AA & lower the AF, they both run fine.

Could also be the perception of running well. I consider 40 fps+ good peroformance. Some consider 25+ good. Others demand 60+.

Greetings all. Just a quick update as I'm out updating my video drivers for the first time since I got my laptop. I had trouble finding the right video driver till I read this thread, and now I seem to be good to go. There is a newer driver than the 83.90. It's 84.something, and I'm giving it a go now... though I need .net 2.0 or something.

BTW, thanks for the info about the MediaDirect install. I'm not going to mess with it right now, but it's cool someone posted about this!!!

I have the same problem as another poster. I order the Inspiron 9400 last week and it has yet to arrive. I ordered it with the 256 meg 7800 go. Now they have the 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 card for basically the same price. How much better is the x1400 over the 7800 go? Is it worth calling up Dell and seeing if I can return/upgrade?
C

CompilerDude said:
I have the same problem as another poster. I order the Inspiron 9400 last week and it has yet to arrive. I ordered it with the 256 meg 7800 go. Now they have the 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 card for basically the same price. How much better is the x1400 over the 7800 go? Is it worth calling up Dell and seeing if I can return/upgrade?

No, don't return it unless you want the laptop to arrive sooner. The x1400 is NOT as good as the 7800go. But it's available, and that means you'll get your laptop sooner.

Condsider yourself lucky if you get that 7800 go, dell stopped shipping with it. the ati replacement card is pitiful compared to the 7800 go

Hello,
Unfortunately my laptop arrived today and it has the x1400 in it instead of the go 7800 card which I ordered it with. I do have the option of returning it, but who knows how long it will take to get one with the 7800 go card in it. How much worse is the x1400? Is it worth returning it? I should just get a Mac.. :)
C

CompilerDude said:
Hello,
Unfortunately my laptop arrived today and it has the x1400 in it instead of the go 7800 card which I ordered it with. I do have the option of returning it, but who knows how long it will take to get one with the 7800 go card in it. How much worse is the x1400? Is it worth returning it? I should just get a Mac.. :)
C

Did you get a credit? I wouldn't consider an x1400 an even swap for a 7800go.

sarbz said:
Did you get a credit? I wouldn't consider an x1400 an even swap for a 7800go.

They are offering a $251 credit. Can I upgrade it myself in the future? Or should I just return it?

CompilerDude said:
They are offering a $251 credit. Can I upgrade it myself in the future? Or should I just return it?

return it, you can't upgrade it.

angrymeat said:
okie yeah i found it about the same time you posted :) I was able to run wow 1400x 900 everything i could possibly turn on high on high ran perfectly also watched it never took cpu over 20 or 30 % I have not been able to get bef2 to run on it yet though :( get the splash screen for like 5 minutes then crashes never actually tries to load though. I have tried forcing it to load 1400x 900 also 800 x 600 no change at all with either,.

Hey angrymeat, Did you ever find a fix for your BF2 problem? I am having the same issue.

Back