Dell Latitiude D620

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
So I need a new laptop for university. Acutally the program I'm doing requires that we get a laptop issued from the school, so I just want to know if these are good specs or not:

Intel Core Duo T2300E, 1.66GHz, 667Mhz, 2M L2 Cache, Dual Core
14.1 inch screen
1GB, DDR2-533 SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive 9.5MM, 5400RPM
Intel 3945 WLAN (802.11a/g) mini Card Latitude
nVidia Quatro NVS110 (256 MB)
24X CDRW/DVD with Cyberlink Power DVD, for Latitude D-Family
6-Cell/56 WHr Primary Battery

Oh, and can I play ANY games with a Quatro NVS110? I've never even HEARD of that!! (We're technically allowed to install anything we want on the laptop provided that we don't screw it up)

I think they are pretty low end as gaming is concerned (better than integrated, though), however, they are mostly suited towards engineering programs such as CAD.

yeah, i'm in the same boat as you - the Quadro is between a 7300 and a 7400...

I've got a 110M in my laptop but I haven't tried any games on it yet. I've got a 7900 in my desktop & haven't been on the road with it yet. It's a tablet, so I've been too busy playing with the pen when I feel like messing around with it to experiement with games.
If the benchmarks I've seen for the 7300 are representative of the 110M, it'll run just about anything except FEAR and maybe Oblivion. Run meaning >30fps at 640x480.

Well i know for a fact that the 120m (in the d820) is just a 7400 with different drivers so my guess would be that the 110m is probably just a 7300 with dif drivers but im most likely widely innaccurate about that.

But as others have said itll perform between a 7300 and a 7400 so itll probably play Source pretty well and stuff like WC3 but anything else i'd go for something a little higher, like a 120m in a d820.

Cheers

I've got the d620 with the Quadro NVS 110 and the only game I've tried is Battlefield 2. I can play Battlefield 2 on 1024x768 with low settings no problem, and even medium settings, but it's jumpy due to only having 1 GB of RAM. If I were to get 2 GB it would have no problem with medium settings.

:) I can't wait for my D620 I had it put on hold at the local fedex station so i can pick it up first thing in the morning. Someone at dell loves me, that free 3-5 day shipping somehow turned in to overnight and my estimated ship date was around the 23rd.

RiDDLeRThC said:
:) I can't wait for my D620 I had it put on hold at the local fedex station so i can pick it up first thing in the morning. Someone at dell loves me, that free 3-5 day shipping somehow turned in to overnight and my estimated ship date was around the 23rd.

let us know how it is!

Well so far everything is great! I had the package put on hold at fedex and picked it up this morning and went right in to work, spent most the morning trying to get all the updates install and just now got firefox setup and starting to install all my other programs. I love the fact how dell doesnt put any crap on to the laptop makes it nice to not have to do a clean install before setting up windows. I will post pictures later tonight once I get home.

RiDDLeRThC said:
Well so far everything is great! I had the package put on hold at fedex and picked it up this morning and went right in to work, spent most the morning trying to get all the updates install and just now got firefox setup and starting to install all my other programs. I love the fact how dell doesnt put any crap on to the laptop makes it nice to not have to do a clean install before setting up windows. I will post pictures later tonight once I get home.

not sure if your much of a gamer but some benchies would be cool too - if you can...:)

no not much of a gamer but let me know of a game and i will see if i can find and test it for you.

Only thing that is starting to bug me is the placement of the Insert, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys. I came from a Sony Vaio S260 and so used to having to hit the FN key and then the up or down keys to get my pg up and pg down. oh well just the little things. Keyboard on this is really nice though and i also got the 9 cell battery and it does stick out the front but kinda adds support.

RiDDLeRThC said:
no not much of a gamer but let me know of a game and i will see if i can find and test it for you.

Only thing that is starting to bug me is the placement of the Insert, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys. I came from a Sony Vaio S260 and so used to having to hit the FN key and then the up or down keys to get my pg up and pg down. oh well just the little things. Keyboard on this is really nice though and i also got the 9 cell battery and it does stick out the front but kinda adds support.

I guess just run 3DMark to give us a sense of performance of the Quadro110

Thank you very much, btw

Here are some pictures, I will take some better ones later tonight.

DSC_3311.JPG

DSC_3312.JPG

DSC_3313.JPG

DSC_3314.JPG

Back