Dell Latitude D820 vs. Precision M70 vs ... ?

Maximos

2[H]4U
Hello all.

I have a budget of around $1,000 and was looking to get a laptop for the remaining 3 years of high school that I have. It will be used to type papers, general usage, and, of course, gaming :D

I was looking on eBay and found the two notebooks mentioned at the right price. I like these because of their build quality and clean looks.

I realize that the M70 is single core, and so, I was wondering if there are extreme advantages to dual-core? The M70 sports a Quadro FX 1400 (akin to the 6800) and a 2.13 GHz Pentium M, where as the D820 has a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor and the Quadro NVS 120, which is something like a Go 7400. Both have 2GB of RAM. They both have a WUXGA screen.

I guess the compromise has to be made in one way. Either single-core, better graphics processing or dual-core, mediocre graphics capabilities.

Also, are there any other viable options for this price range, keeping in mind the uses?

Why are you looking at workstation class notebooks ? You only want a Quadro if you're doing CAD / 3dsMAX.

For $1000 could you not get a new Inspiron from Dell with a Core2Duo and an 8600GT in it ?

Why are you looking at workstation class notebooks ? You only want a Quadro if you're doing CAD / 3dsMAX.

For $1000 could you not get a new Inspiron from Dell with a Core2Duo and an 8600GT in it ?

A. I don't like Dell's new offerings.

B. $1000 won't cover a 2 GHz procesor and 2 GB of RAM.

C. Cases are not as rugged.

Check the outlet for a E1705 with a 7900 GS. I amn telling you that it is possible for $1000 if you look hard enough. Great computer.

Check the outlet for a E1705 with a 7900 GS. I amn telling you that it is possible for $1000 if you look hard enough. Great computer.

I think that a 17" is too big. Also, those come with a WXGA+. That won't be pretty on such a large screen.

Have you looked at the Dell Vostros? You can get a Core 2 Duo and an 8600GT in a new notebook for under your $1000.

My configuration on a Vostro 1500 came out to be $1,242 with 2 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, and the 8600GT, as well as a 1440x900 display. Considering my max is a $1,000...I don't know...

Other thoughs - I don't like the looks of the Vostro. It's max resolution is 1440x900, although that is probably optimal considering the mobile GPU's prowess.

I guess the question here is this: If I end up getting the Latitude, what can I expect out of the Quadro 120?

I guess the question here is this: If I end up getting the Latitude, what can I expect out of the Quadro 120?

Increased power consumption and decreased battery life compared to intel gma.
It's not a gaming powerhorse, specificly at 1920x1200 res.

Still I'd take it over the old Precision.

Also, on the Dell spec sheet, what is '128 Discrete graphics'? Is this still a Quadro, or Intel GMA?

Anyway - can the Quadro do Source at native res? BF2? That's pretty much it...

I have a Dell Latitude D820 from work with a 256MB Quadro video card, 2Ghz Centrino Duo, and 2GB of RAM. My home desktop plays games better and it is an AMD Athlon XP 3800+ (32bit processor, 4 years old at this point), 1GB of RAM, and a NVidia 6800 OC. The video card is what is really holding the system back.

The system is slow when playing Guild Wars, City of Heroes, or BF2.

Just because the Quadro is equivalent of another card doesn't mean it was built to do the same things.

I believe that another option is possible as well.

If I get a Precision M65 (Dual-Core), would I be able to purchase, say, a 7900GTX and install it?

This is assuming that 7900 series cards are the same physically to the 6800 series (down to the heatsink screwholes), and the M65 is identical to the M70 internally. Can anyone comment on these two points? Would this be possible on a D820?

If I went this way, I would lose the WUXGA resolution, however.

Some drivers can be installed that will make the Quadro its GeForce equivalent.

I have a Dell Latitude D820 from work with a 256MB Quadro video card, 2Ghz Centrino Duo, and 2GB of RAM. My home desktop plays games better and it is an AMD Athlon XP 3800+ (32bit processor, 4 years old at this point), 1GB of RAM, and a NVidia 6800 OC. The video card is what is really holding the system back.

The system is slow when playing Guild Wars, City of Heroes, or BF2.

Just because the Quadro is equivalent of another card doesn't mean it was built to do the same things.

It's equivalent of mobile gf7400 - do it's not suprising being beaten by your desktop card.

I believe that another option is possible as well.

If I get a Precision M65 (Dual-Core), would I be able to purchase, say, a 7900GTX and install it?

No.

This is assuming that 7900 series cards are the same physically to the 6800 series (down to the heatsink screwholes), and the M65 is identical to the M70 internally. Can anyone comment on these two points? Would this be possible on a D820?

M65 is identical to the D820. Swapping gpu is not possible on those.

Why?

Some drivers can be installed that will make the Quadro its GeForce equivalent.

The other way around - you can make a Quadro from a GF. Quadro allready had the performance of a regular GF.

TheGodfather47 said:
The M65 on eBay has a WSXGA+ screen instead of WUXGA. There seems to be no benefit to the M65. I really like the D820...but I can't afford abysmal gaming performance, either. Let's see...can we say medium settings on Source with WUXGA resolution? Any links to some realworld tests? Source stress test results would be good as well.

Thanks.

The M65 on eBay has a WSXGA+ screen instead of WUXGA. There seems to be no benefit to the M65. I really like the D820...but I can't afford abysmal gaming performance, either. Let's see...can we say medium settings on Source with WUXGA resolution? Any links to some realworld tests? Source stress test results would be good as well.

WUXGA is just to much for a small screen in my opinion. WSXGA+ seems ideal.
I wouldn't count the GF7400/NVS120 can drive cs:s at WUXGA with any eye-candy.

I think that a 17" is too big. Also, those come with a WXGA+. That won't be pretty on such a large screen.

They come with Either WXGA or WXUGA.

Believe me the 7900GS is a monster of a laptop card.

Laptop in my sig was from the outlet, and I got it for $1249.00

I don't know...the idea of a 17" laptop is just contradictory IMO.

Even if I were to get the M65, it's got a 1.86 GHz Core Duo processor, with a Quadro 350M - not a big upgrade. It's still a 7400.

Is the M70's Pentium M and 6800-based card a slouch, even at 2.13 GHz? Is it considered obsolete/aging?

The 6800 is consider aging. I had the Dell 9300 with the 6800go when it was brand new, Around April 2005.

It will run older games fine, including WoW (I gamed for months on my laptop while I was getting out of the military and all my stuff was in storage.)

What type of games are you looking to play, might be easier to give you suggestions..

Source based games, BF2, UT 2k4, and a dabble of new releases as well. (UT 2k7, unless it comes on 360; obviously won't be WUXGA lol)

It'd be nice to run at WUXGA...altough I fear this may be an impossible feat...any input on this bit?

M65 is identical to the D820. Swapping gpu is not possible on those.

M65 is the D620, M90 is the D820.

OP, get it with the least amount of ram possible, then upgrade it yourself, you can get 1 gig sodimms for 40 bucks a piece.

Thanks for the tip, but I wouldn't consider RAM the main issue. The problem is the graphics card.

Sorry for the double post, but...
The HP nc8430 is looking VERY nice at the moment...
Here is the config I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NC8430-Lapto...yZ140082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is another one for $50 more...but I don't see a difference. I will put that toward an extended warranty.

Now, a few questions.

The bus speed is stated at 667 MHz - is this the RAM's speed as well?

Is there any way to find out the RAM's config? ie. 2x512mb, 1x1GB, etc?

Anyone know the harddrive's speed?

How is the build quality, especially compared to the D820/M70/65 series of notebooks.

I know it's a little over budget, but it seems worth it.

How is the x1600, especially at the native resolution?(WUXGA is probably too small indeed...)

Worst case, I end up paying $1280 for the notebook, extended warranty, and 2x1 GB of self-installed RAM.(This doesn't void warranty, right?)

Excitedly awaiting your responses :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For current games the X1600 would be hurting.

If you want a laptop that can keep up in current games your only real 2 choices is the 7900GS (They overclock like mad) or the 7950 GTX,

The 7900 series out class ALL of the 8000 series mobile processors in DX9 by a very large margin.

M65 is the D620, M90 is the D820.

How can a 15,4" be identical to 14,1" and 17" identical to 15,4"?

How is the x1600, especially at the native resolution?(WUXGA is probably too small indeed...)

X1600 is probably the best you can get at this price point in 15,4" form factor.
Check out hp business outlet, they might have more deals on this model.

Yeah I was just about to mention that the D820 = M65 and the XPS M1710 Chassis without lights = M90.

I have both a Dell M65 and a recently aquired HP nc8430. The difference in performance between the two is negligable gfx wise, there is some in general because the Dell has a C2D T7400 and the HP has a T2500.

I like them both really, good solid machines with enough horse power to run most games, BF2 wouldnt run on the M65 because of the quadro driver.

yeah I like my nc8430 - if you can find one with the 1680x1050 screen for under 1k it might be a good bet

Eh, my bad, I was thinking of a gen before that. Strange thing is I've had both a 620 and M65 before, you'd think I'd remember the difference.

Strange that BF2 wouldn't run though...it runs fine on my quadros, but they're desktop not mobile parts.

They come in WUXGA. You must look for them. I got one for 1100 a while back off the outlet totally loaded and that included overnight shipping. I am aware WUXGA is better. Being that I have worked on, have modded, and initimately know every model laptop Dell has made in the last 5 years I know where of I speak.

If you don't go 17" then don't bother with video editting. Have you seen WUXGA on a 15.4" screen? Not pretty. And anything under that is worthless for video and photo editting. Just some facts to throw at you.

As an above poster pointed out for gaming purposes you go with the M90 or E1705 as they have the right vid cards and right screen resolutions. If you want a 15.4" then don't game, because nothing in that form factor gets it done without making some compromises in resolution and gaming quality.

They come in WUXGA. You must look for them. I got one for 1100 a while back off the outlet totally loaded and that included overnight shipping. I am aware WUXGA is better. Being that I have worked on, have modded, and initimately know every model laptop Dell has made in the last 5 years I know where of I speak.

If you don't go 17" then don't bother with video editting. Have you seen WUXGA on a 15.4" screen? Not pretty. And anything under that is worthless for video and photo editting. Just some facts to throw at you.

Hey, I'm sorry if any disrespect was understood by my comment. I did not mean to underestimate your knowledege - I only saw that the $999 model had WXGA.

I just don't want a 17". I'd like to keep it to 15.4" and under.

Although, can the 7900GS run WUXGA easily? If so, this may definetley be worth a consideration.

For those of you that have the nc8430, what settings do you play BF2 at? I can see that if it plays BF2 well at native resolution, Source should be a walk in the park.

Also, no one can comment on the RAM configuration for this notebook?

The RAM configuration will be whatever was spec'd when the machine left the factory, only way to really know is check the HP service tag or look at the physical laptop.

ND40oz said:
Strange that BF2 wouldn't run though...it runs fine on my quadros, but they're desktop not mobile parts.
Yeah, weird really but I have heard a few other people with M65's had trouble and I wasnt really to desperate so never tried to find a solution.

I have heard good things about the last update so might have a go with that next time I have some leisure time.

I know the last game i tried on my nc8430 was Flight sim X and it ran reasonably well at 1680x1050, frame rate dropped occastionally but nothing serious.

The RAM configuration will be whatever was spec'd when the machine left the factory, only way to really know is check the HP service tag or look at the physical laptop.

Yeah, weird really but I have heard a few other people with M65's had trouble and I wasnt really to desperate so never tried to find a solution.

I have heard good things about the last update so might have a go with that next time I have some leisure time.

I know the last game i tried on my nc8430 was Flight sim X and it ran reasonably well at 1680x1050, frame rate dropped occastionally but nothing serious.

That sounds pretty good. Do you happen to know your BF2 settings?

Does installing RAM void the warranty?

Sorry never played BF2 on this machine, only used FSX for testing and then threw SUSE Novell Desktop on it.

Installing RAM shouldnt void the warranty, it doesnt in Dell's not 100% sure about HP's but cant imagine they care that much, just dont break any seals and if something does go wrong then take it out before you return it.

Sorry never played BF2 on this machine, only used FSX for testing and then threw SUSE Novell Desktop on it.

Installing RAM shouldnt void the warranty, it doesnt in Dell's not 100% sure about HP's but cant imagine they care that much, just dont break any seals and if something does go wrong then take it out before you return it.

Thanks.

I think that the x1600 will be OK for games that I am planning to play, as seen from the info in this thread:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=72214

After a bit more research, I believe that the E1705 will probably suit my needs better than the HP. This is because:

The E1705 will have a Core 2 - good to have that for the future. The HP has a Core. It probably isn't too much of a difference, but 2MB extra of L2 cache never hurts.

The 7900GS - this should last quite a while, hopefully, at native resolution. AA is not needed at such a high resolution anyway, IMO.

The issue is just locating one that's got XP on it. It seems like a hassle to try to remove Vista and install XP in it's place.

Should I expect tons of bloatware when I recieve this thing?

Although, can the 7900GS run WUXGA easily? If so, this may definetley be worth a consideration.

Yes about equal to a 7900GT desktop card. Wont run 1900x1200 with everything maxed but it will run it fairly well if you overclock it.

The only downside to the GS is the 256 VRAM. Other than that it overclocks like mad. Without even trying I bumped it from 375/500 stock to 575/625. Card has more but I have to figure out how to get rivatuner to let me clock it higher.

Yes about equal to a 7900GT desktop card. Wont run 1900x1200 with everything maxed but it will run it fairly well if you overclock it.

The only downside to the GS is the 256 VRAM. Other than that it overclocks like mad. Without even trying I bumped it from 375/500 stock to 575/625. Card has more but I have to figure out how to get rivatuner to let me clock it higher.

Wow...you've got a behemoth! That thing beats out my X850XT! :eek:

I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding one of these, however...

Dell Outlet seems to only have Vista.

Once again, sorry for the double post.

I can also wait for the HP 8510P - it's supposed to include the ATi Mobility HD 2600, while still retaining my choice of a business-line notebook due to their simplistic looks and durability.

However, it seems that they keep getting pushed back due the the shortage of HD 2600 units. I'm in no rush to have the laptop, so it isn't too big of a deal.

But there is always that NC8430...just waiting...

How long after a notebook comes out does it take for refurbs to show up on eBay?

Wow...you've got a behemoth! That thing beats out my X850XT! :eek:

I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding one of these, however...

Dell Outlet seems to only have Vista.

The one I got had Vista, I wiped it and installed one of my XP Pro licenses. I am actually considering replacing the 7900GS with the 7950GTX, but not sure this GS clocks so well.

As a reference, at 575/625 Im getting 4761 in 3DMark06. The 7950GTX scores 5200 ish stock.

3DMark05 is in the high 8s.

The other way around - you can make a Quadro from a GF. Quadro allready had the performance of a regular GF.

No, it's not win-win to go to a Quadro, you lose gaming performance. You either go quadro and get infrequent driver updates and nerfed gaming or go geforce and get frequent driver updates and improved gaming.

You can probably mod a quadro back to a geforce, if it goes one way I don't see why it wouldn't go the other.

Back