Dell mATX case mod? Dude, I got a Dell..

Sorry to hear my "shove the wires through the motherboard standoff holes" wasted so much time, man. "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Sorry to hear my "shove the wires through the motherboard standoff holes" wasted so much time, man. "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Don't get me wrong.. If it would have worked, that would have been the PERFECT solution! It's was definately worth the try! Now I know that 4 wires will fit through one of those little holes.. 5 wires.. extremely tough fit. 6 wires, definately not.. LOL.

Don't get me wrong.. If it would have worked, that would have been the PERFECT solution! It's was definately worth the try! Now I know that 4 wires will fit through one of those little holes.. 5 wires.. extremely tough fit. 6 wires, definately not.. LOL.

Fans only have 3 wires right? Could use 2 different holes. Also, if you're really hardcore you could always cut it, splice ground to a single wire, then split it again on the other side. ;) You'd have to sleeve it on both sides of the hole, though, as sleeve won't fit through with them if 5 wires barely fit.

I really need to build myself a dedicated bench area with as much as I work on computers. Sitting on the couch and scratching up my coffee table is getting old.. LOL!
Screw an old MB tray to a piece of MDF. Leave it big enough to set a power supply and drives on it, and put some rubber feet or felt pad on the bottom. Then you can bench anywhere, and pick the gear up and move it easy when you need to go to work :cool:

Screw an old MB tray to a piece of MDF. Leave it big enough to set a power supply and drives on it, and put some rubber feet or felt pad on the bottom. Then you can bench anywhere, and pick the gear up and move it easy when you need to go to work :cool:

....I will be doing this tomorrow. Awesome idea.

Wow, anything done to that box would be an improvement. Keep up the great work!

Thanks again for the compliments and those who are following this thread.. I was able to take one of my 8800GTS's (640mb) out of my Lian Li case and slap it in..

DSCN9479.jpg

Wow.. Talk about BARELY fitting.. It kinda gives you a pretty exact idea of how small this case is, from front to back with that 8800GTS in there.. The GTX would DEFINATELY not fit in there. It's a good and bad day for me today.. I powered down my Lian Li (personal computer) and pulled one of the 8800GTS's out of my SLi setup to build this HTPC. I had to drain all of that fluid xp because this card was being water cooled (speaking of which, I have a sexy EK water block with the delrin top for sale now..hahaha). I saved my factory air cooler and just finished installing the heat tape on the vreg's and layed a fresh layer of MX-1 paste down on the physical GPU. I went on Newegg today and bought my new hard drive (the brand new Western Digital 640mb hard drive that was just released). It's supposed to be pretty darn fast. I am told that it is just as fast, if not a little faster than my Seagate Barracuda drives. We shall see. I've also been sleeving some wires behind the scenes and prepping my enclosure (to get it ready for the powder coater). Anyways, here is the 8800GTS installed in the Dell case.. Whoah, it is a tight fit..

DSCN9481.jpg

I never thought I'd say this, but that green PCB is HAWT in that case. The 8800GTS is just a tough looking card in general.

I never thought I'd say this, but that green PCB is HAWT in that case. The 8800GTS is just a tough looking card in general.

Yeah, I only realized the green PCB quasi-matched my setup only when you mentioned it.. LOL. I can't wait to power everything on and snap a few photos. I am about to head off to work. It's going to be a sit and wait game, between now and Thursday. I have a few parts coming in on Thursday or early Friday. Also, I bought a new retail copy of Vista Ultimate x64 from someone on a different forum and he is shipping from Canada. I have NO idea when it's due to arrive. He has perfect heatware, so I'm not worried about that.. It's simply a timing thing..

Next week is probably going to be a busy week for me. Aside from trying to get this Dell build up and going, my son has been watching me put this Dell together and it has given him the Mod Bug. A few Christmas's ago, I built him a computer.. Nothing toooo fancy schmancy. Just something that I knew would work for him. I started with a Coolermaster Centurion 5 case, an E6420 processor, my old EVGA 7800GTX, an EVGA 650i Ultra motherboard, a Coolermaster GeminII CPU Heatsink.. Well, he is keeping all of his parts but he wanted his case powder coated and wanted a side window installed. Sooooo, how can a father say NO.. hahahaha. His computer has already been dismantled and his parts taken over to my powder coater.. But that's information for another thread..

I really like where this is going. I think this is how I would like a mod to come out for myself reading your worklog. My favorite piece of this mod is the front bezel where you added the two 120mm fans and moved the power button up. This is really gorgeous work, I hope you enjoy it visually as much as I do.

sleeving your fan causes them to create more CFM. :)

I need to go get some sleeving for all my cables then my case would be complete.

sleeving your fan causes them to create more CFM. :)

I need to go get some sleeving for all my cables then my case would be complete.

I think I'm going to do the 'sleeved in 6-8 groups' thing on my PSU's main ATX connector at some point, Murderbox style. Looks pretty slick.

Have you had a chance to mess with that WD hard drive yet? $135 shipping seems pretty decent but for the same price I can get a 750gb.

Damn, $129.99 now with $5.29 shipping. I want it, but I am gonna hold off until I find out how good it is. Seems pretty fast from what I have read so far, maybe I'll pull the trigger after you let us know how it is.

You crazy bastard. What are you up to now?!

:)

Hahahaha.. wassup Dolph! LTNS! I tore down my Vapochill / Lian Li setup (temporarily). I needed one of the 8800GTS cards from in there for this HTPC build. I am also working on my son's Coolermaster Centurion 5 setup. He has a 7800GTX and it drags a little when he plays Oblivion. So, I will probably give him my other 8800GTS. With the 9800GX2 on the horizon, I will probably buy one of those for now.. I'm debating on buying a 780i while my setup is temporarily out of commission.

This HTPC will be very capable to run my HTPC related functions as well as being able to play COD4. It's almost done.. I'm just waiting on parts to arrive. But you know me, if it can be done, I will try it.. If it can be done in flashy colors, I am all for it! ..hahaha.

Ha, glad to see you're up to your old tricks though. :cool:

I was going to built an HTPC but I got a Popcorn Hour instead.
http://www.popcornhour.com/

If all goes well tomorrow, I'll have a house to mod! :D
Rexxy's got the info

Interesting color choice btw, but after seeing your bike I'm not really surprised. :p

Ha, glad to see you're up to your old tricks though. :cool:

I was going to built an HTPC but I got a Popcorn Hour instead.
http://www.popcornhour.com/

If all goes well tomorrow, I'll have a house to mod! :D
Rexxy's got the info

Interesting color choice btw, but after seeing your bike I'm not really surprised. :p

Hope you get the house! Congrats! How do you like your Popcorn? I'll try to hit Rexxy up tomorrow about the info! As for motorcycles, my wife's bike turned more heads than mine (probably because a chic was riding vs. a dude riding ..hahaha). Talk about powder coating..

DSCN7161.jpg

DSCN8080.jpg

DSCN9485.jpg

DSCN8519.jpg

DSCN8674.jpg

I need more pics of the other stuff that I have powder coated (my son's computer case ~ORANGE and BLACK~, my roll bar in my car, misc parts on my car engine, metal speaker stands, etc..)

OH NO! My parts were NOT delivered today.. I was a little upset and went to UPS's website to see if my parts were possibly delivered to the wrong address (it's happened a few times to me).. Here is what I saw:

Train Derailment? Were my parts on-board the train when it derailed? OMG!

UPS-hmmm01.jpg

WTF train derailment... I thought my luck was bad.

Granted, I got hit by one once. Do not recommend.

I do love that it's in all caps and looks like everything else. Like this is somehow normal.

Back