Dell Now Accepts Bitcoin

i'm sure a couple of government agencies will send them dubious orders by some secret court that bitcoins are not real money and only those pieces of paper printed by the fed and backed by nothing are the real deal. (i know bitcoins are backed by nothing as well)

i'm sure a couple of government agencies will send them dubious orders by some secret court that bitcoins are not real money and only those pieces of paper printed by the fed and backed by nothing are the real deal. (i know bitcoins are backed by nothing as well)

Well, if bitcoin are not real money, then technically they didnt sell anything, and hence shouldnt pay taxes. :D

Dell does not actually accept bitcoin. It merely incorporates Coinbase into its checkout. When a sale is made, Dell receives USD from Coinbase.

As an aside, the IRS defines bitcoin as an equity. When goods are traded for an equity, tax is paid after the sale of the said equity, if a net gain is realized.

x3

"Only for criminals and nutjobs".

I guess that's Dell's entire customer base, then. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with crypto currencies in general. However, having worked in banking for all of these years, I can guarantee that not a soul wants every financial transaction to be completely hidden. Hiding the source and flow of money does tend to have a lot of criminal intent behind it, that's simply how the world works.

Money laundering is a HUGE issue for banks and they face a lot a culpability when they don't follow procedures. If crypto currencies are totally legitimate, then all money laundering law should be repealed. If it's okay to hide the source and flow of money, no one should be held accountable when the source and flow of that money is used for criminal activities.

If crypto currencies are totally legitimate, then all money laundering law should be repealed. If it's okay to hide the source and flow of money, no one should be held accountable when the source and flow of that money is used for criminal activities.

Anything that makes law enforcement harder should make it's respective law void.

Makes sense.

Well all Dell PCs come with Windows 8 pre-installed, which technically isn't a real OS, so paying with something that isn't real money doesn't bother me one bit!
Seriously, MS should be getting paid in used gum wrappers for that hot mess, bitcoin is too good for them.

Well all Dell PCs come with Windows 8 pre-installed, which technically isn't a real OS, so paying with something that isn't real money doesn't bother me one bit!
Seriously, MS should be getting paid in used gum wrappers for that hot mess, bitcoin is too good for them.

Still hating on win 8. Move on, there's so much more hate to be hated.

Bitcoin refurnished my bed room and living room via Overstock :D Spent it at about the most perfect time as well (think i got $1006ish/BTC). Love me my BTC.

Anything that makes law enforcement harder should make it's respective law void.

Makes sense.

If you have a currency that can bypass any AML checks or laws then what's the point of having them?

Pointless argument anyway no legitimate financial institution will ever use a crypto currency as anything but a speculative commodity bet

Well, if bitcoin are not real money, then technically they didnt sell anything, and hence shouldnt pay taxes. :D

Bartering is still subject to taxes, and you can bet your ass that Dell is going to report every penny of income derived from bartering. So if you buy something from Dell with Bitcoins, you should be reporting that as well as it won't be hard for the IRS to figure out who didn't pay taxes.

Bitcoin falls well within long, long established IRS tax rules. Which is kind of why the IRS just sorta shrugs whenever Bitcoin comes up - they're still getting paid either way, they don't care.

Money laundering is a HUGE issue for banks and they face a lot a culpability when they don't follow procedures. If crypto currencies are totally legitimate, then all money laundering law should be repealed. If it's okay to hide the source and flow of money, no one should be held accountable when the source and flow of that money is used for criminal activities.

Uh, what? Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency only works *BECAUSE* it's highly trackable. The entire foundation of the block chain is that you can track every single BTC and every single transaction. The system doesn't work without that.

If you want something hard to track, use cash. If you want something the entire world can track in public, use cryptocurrency.

Still hating on win 8. Move on, there's so much more hate to be hated.

It was a joke actually.
I find 8 to be a fantastic OS on a tablet or phone, I'll give it that.
I can't help it MS forced it onto desktops and laptops and brought the hate on themselves.

It was a joke actually.
I find 8 to be a fantastic OS on a tablet or phone, I'll give it that.
I can't help it MS forced it onto desktops and laptops and brought the hate on themselves.

I'm always amazed at how fast a kids pick up Windows 8 using the modern UI on a tablet. People often make the slam that the modern UI is for children and it I think that's the point. However if one can get past the changes, it pretty much is the same desktop as 7. Microsoft didn't make the modern UI configurable enough though to work like people have become accustomed with a Windows desktop. It'll be interesting to see how 9 turns out.

Back