Dell opts for AMD's Opteron

mpcamer1220

[H]ard|Gawd
Dell has agreed to use Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron processors in multiprocessor servers by the end of the year, the company said in its second-quarter earnings press release Thursday.

Speculation has mounted for years as to whether the company would adopt the chips, despite Dell's exclusive relationship with Intel to this point. AMD has enjoyed a performance lead in server benchmarks over Intel's Xeon processors.

"We welcome Dell, and Dell customers, to the world of AMD64," Marty Seyer, AMD senior vice president, commercial business, said in a statement distributed after Dell's earnings release. Dell executives delayed the start of an earnings call with the press, and were unavailable to comment further.

http://news.com.com/Dell+opts+for+AMDs+Opteron/2100-1006_3-6074059.html

This is.. interesting to say the least.. I think now would be a good time to buy AMD stock, might go up a bit tomorrow..

Interesting, but I'll wait till they actually produce one. They've said this many times before.

i don't think they've actually.. agreed to use amd chips in servers though, only threaten to

I have resisted buying any servers from Dell for this one reason alone. This was the kind of news I was waiting for! This is great news for AMD. Can't wait to hear the reaction from the Intel camp and all the comments from the Intel fan-you-know-whats.

A month before the Conroe is released. How typically Dell. Him and haw for ages and then do it when it doesn't make a difference anymore. :rolleyes:

Heh, offering AMD servers after Woodcrest will be released and people won't have any reason to buy Opteron servers anymore...

This is what I thought before reading the article:

"On a conference call following the earnings release, CEO Kevin Rollins said that Dell will only sell AMD processors in servers with four processors--a relatively small category of the server market."

Small, but very profitable. Woodcrest MP for > 2P isn't coming for a while. This could just be another game by Dell to push Intel to release Woodcrest MP early. Dell did the same thing for EM64T in 1P servers almost 2 years ago -- and it worked.

I was checking my stocks and saw the news. Looks like I was beat to the post. :)

Gotta love anytime a single stock brings you more money in a single day than a week of working :)

ALL4AMD said:
thats wierd a few months ago there stock was in the $40's
Yeah, then in the 1Q financial meeting, Hector Ruiz said that the 2Q would be about the same as the 1Q. So he said the growth wouldn't be as good as it was, which is true for most IT businesses, the second quarter is usually flatter than the others.

So, it went down to around $30.

Back