Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

Well I have the S2440L and it seems pretty durable to me. I have used a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen down a few times in places where there was some marking. No scratches. It's a beautiful picture.

I've only used one IPS screen before and this, as an A-MVA panel, comes very close to the quality of that panel, if not exceeds the quality. Black levels on this monitor rival my Panasonic plasma TV, and I'm not kidding. Watching movies and playing games on this are a real treat. Response time is VERY GOOD, and you won't notice any ghosting in games. Viewing angles are good, not IPS great though. But they're a hell of a lot better than a TN screen.

Honestly, if you aren't ready to shell out $400+ for a good IPS monitor, this one at $200 is a steal. I'm going to get another pretty soon, because my Samsung 2253BW, which is now my secondary monitor, looks like complete crap next to this. And I thought the 2253BW was a fantastic monitor for it's time.

My only complaints and I mean only complaints, are...

1. The stand could've been designed much, much better. But it's sufficient and I had absolutely no trouble setting this monitor up.

2. There is no DVI - just HDMI and VGA. I have no doubt that this was done to keep the cost down but I honestly don't know how much extra it would've cost to throw in a DVI port back there, probably not much. And it would have been worth it. The VGA port is rather useless for this monitor.

From what I can tell, this monitor does not use PWM.

I honestly couldn't be happier about this purchase - for $200, there are far worse monitors than this out there and I would imagine not many that are better.

Sharing My settings here , got the monitor adjustment from tft central but didn't use the color profile

NVIDIAsettings2_zps77606b8d.png

NVIDIAsettings_zps28f5c947.png

I can't believe this. I really love the S2440L, but I've bought 2 of these monitors and had to return 1 of them 3 times now due to dead/stuck pixel's! I'm thinking of returning this for a refund and trying elsewhere maybe I've just exchanging out through a bad batch of these... BTW, these all came from Best Buy.

I returned a U2412M and bought a S2740l to replace it and I couldn't be more pleased. The 24" version would have been fine but I use a Humanscale monitor arm and needed the VESA compatibility, which only the 27" has, add to that i'll gladly sacrifice high contrast for quicker response.

This monitor hits the mark on a very specific set of features. Glossy edge-to-edge display, VESA, IPS, 27", and under 350$. You'd have to spend a lot more to really improve upon this monitor if a Glossy display is what you're after. Well, not counting those Korean displays, but that's all a bit too dodgy for me.

Just ordered the S2440L and it will be arriving on wednesday. Hoping for dead pixels and PWM free unit. :)

So none of the S2740's have PWM right? No 'panel lottery' bs like with the 24"?

So none of the S2740's have PWM right? No 'panel lottery' bs like with the 24"?

No PWM, i've looked for it. TFTCentral confirmed this if you need further reassurance.

Last edited:
No PWM, i've looked for it. TFTCentral confirmed this if you need further reassurance.

You should be aware, though, that it uses FRC. Which is frame rate controlled manipulated colors to simulate bigger color depth. It cannot be turned off. Don't know if it would be in use if you choose a lower color depth though.

What it means is that a big portion of all the screens colors flicker, frame by frame.

However, while the flicker is "digital and "hard".."... I do not know if this is something as bad as PWM that goes completely black. We're talking about like a few percent or something of flickering. But it is frame by frame. And all closest-to-being-black colors will flicker completely on and off all the time, which propably happens a lot like when watching movies.

No idea if this is bad for you, however.

It uses a 6 bit panel with FRC.

... then again all LCDs flicker slightly, frame by frame, when they switch polarity to inhibit burn ins. But I think the FRC methood is more visible.

Etc. God. I wish someone would by my damn flickering monitors. All of them. Hate them all. Can't ever be online for more then a few mins, or I get massive headaches, stommach cramps, skin rash, and other BS that would be resolved years ago with a damn flicker free monitor.... no need for all this suffering. Sigh.

You should be aware, though, that it uses FRC. Which is frame rate controlled manipulated colors to simulate bigger color depth. It cannot be turned off. Don't know if it would be in use if you choose a lower color depth though.

Sure, so does every monitor with these features in this price bracket. It's a fair concern, espically if you're bothered by that sort of thing, but if I had the money to buy a 27" IPS display with a true 8-bit or 10-bit panel I wouldn't be posting in this thread. You have to temper your expectations given the cost involved.

My friend was giving me shit about needing a "special monitor for special eyes" when I complained about being unable to work on my previous monitor because the AG sparkle was so bad, so I can understand the frustration to an extent, but all I can say is that if you're someone who is bothered that deeply by such issues, well, I hope your pockets are equally deep and if they are, more power to you.

Because of PWM or something else ?

i'm used to better monitors so i took vesa stand tco compliance for granted, only to learn it is not to be taken for granted. i couldn't live with the color shift/gamma shift across the length of the screen either.

while i was reaching for the stars (pwm free monitor, low brightness) the ground from under the feet went missing (tco vesa color shift etc)

i dont think 16:9 is my thing either and dvi port is a must.

learned the hard way, but learned anyway :eek:

Can anyone who owns the S2340L/M or S2440L please do me a favor and measure the bezel widths?

I'm considering getting three of either of these, and one crucial piece of information I can't seem to find online is this measurement.

Thanks.

it was the best deal in a pwm free model. had to give it a go.:D

Sometimes it's a bit too good to be true. Which is kind of a shame I would have liked to at least see VESA compatibility on the 23" and 24" models.

2 question.
I know these come either DVI-D or HDMI (the M and L respectively), but does it matter?

My old Viewsonic was HDMI only and included a conversion cable. So is there a pro or con for either version? Can a cable go the other way and be HDMI to DVI-D? Heck do these monitors even come with cables?

The other question is the VA versus IPS thing. The VA still sounds to be pretty good, but is the IPS better or does all it provide is better viewing angles?

Since VA is better than TN for angles to start with, does it matter? How often do you work at a computer off angle anyway?

Oh, wait, another question... is the 24" the only one with the PWM lottery or is it all non-27"-ers?

Seems like the 2340 has gotten left out of most of the discussion. I wanted IPS, and I wanted a decent deal so I got the 2340 for $170 at best buy after Cmas. Wish I had picked up two, as my older TN HP2207h just can't last next to it in my mind.

Very happy so far and have just set it up and done a quick settings change to standard. I'll definitely be watching sales prices for a second, and maybe the HP goes into the garage or basement...

Wow. I must have missed that completely when I went through the review. Many thanks.

Now I just need the 2340M/L for comparison.

If I take a tape measure off the side edge of the monitor, the picture starts around ~1/2" in.

IMG_0135.JPG

I do want to mention I was at BB and got to compare the S2340 (IPS) and the S2440 (VA).

Just on their demo crap they had going and playing with basic settings settings, it appears the IPS has much deeper blacks, but theVA panel had more accurate color (with a bit of a blue push.) The IPS had a really strong yellow push that looked awful.

I also noticed that when both panels went black, there was a lot of backlight bleeding(?) making the IPS panel mostly a dark grey. The VA had a really nice solid black appearance.

I don't know if that means a thing, but it has me leaning towards the 24".

Just got my S2440L and ...

- unfortunately, it uses PWM,
- my eyes hurt although they might need some time to adjust,
- viewing angels are as good as I expected (my 4-year old LG W2284F isn't worse in this area ...), but it doesn't matter that much to me,
- compared to my old TN, contrast and colors are of course better, but I'm not blown away,
- it's my first glossy screen and reflections are not something I'm used to. My eyes focus on them instead on what's on the screen. It's already late and dark here where I live, so that doesn't bode too well for the long, bright days with lots of sun (there's only one window in my room and it's not even behind me + blinds are shut).

I have 10 days to test it and then I can return it without even giving a reason, so I'll give it a try, but overall feeling is that it doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade from my 4-years old TN, so obviously I'm kind of disappointed.

I do want to mention I was at BB and got to compare the S2340 (IPS) and the S2440 (VA).

Just on their demo crap they had going and playing with basic settings settings, it appears the IPS has much deeper blacks, but theVA panel had more accurate color (with a bit of a blue push.) The IPS had a really strong yellow push that looked awful.

I also noticed that when both panels went black, there was a lot of backlight bleeding(?) making the IPS panel mostly a dark grey. The VA had a really nice solid black appearance.

I don't know if that means a thing, but it has me leaning towards the 24".

VA should have deeper blacks so its likely the same GPU issue that many people have reported here, can be fixed by changing some settings.

- it's my first glossy screen and reflections are not something I'm used to.

I don't understand people who buy a glossy display and then complain that its glossy. There are a million and one monitors out there with matte screens, monitors like this are for people who arn't bothered by reflections (which can be controlled with clever room arrangement) and know that they want glossy for one reason or another. The PWM issue has also been very well documented and shouldn't come as a suprise. I can't help but think that the issues being reported in this thread wouldn't be issues if a little research was done beforehand, or just going to a store to see one.

Last edited:
I don't understand people who buy a glossy display and then complain that its glossy. There are a million and one monitors out there with matte screens, monitors like this are for people who arn't bothered by reflections (which can be controlled with clever room arrangement) and know that they want glossy for one reason or another. The PWM issue has also been very well documented and shouldn't come as a suprise. I can't help but think that the issues being reported in this thread wouldn't be issues if a little research was done beforehand, or just going to a store to see one.
I have a glossy TV and laptop yet none of them are as glossy as the S2440L. Although my room is rather dark and for most of the time I keep window blinds shut, the level of reflections is so high that I cannon see through them and it hurts my eyes.

PWM is not an issue and I didn't write that because I expected my unit not to have it. I know it'a a lottery and I just wanted to let you guys know that I didn't get the lucky ticket. That's all.

take it easy grey, i'm sure you have more imp stuff on your hands than to sit and scold strangers. plus its not like you bought it and returned, the strangers took the trouble of going through it all, i know you mean well but i'm sure they can do without your supervision. no hard feelings.:D

Bought one of these hoping the glossness wouldnt bother me but my room is a bit to bright for it.
Now im stuck between the Dell U2312HM and the LG IPS237L-BN

I picked up the s2440l with the VA panel from amazon for $199. Price is now $179 fyi. I have been using it for a few days and today I noticed a bright spot on the monitor. Upon further investigation it visible on every background but black. Should I send it back? I have seen stuck pixels before that are stuck to a single color but never white. It is pretty annoying. I like to use a light colored wallpaper since it helps with the reflections from the glossy screen.
20130112164639.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic taken from my cell but it shows the bright spot.

I picked up the s2440l with the VA panel from amazon for $199. Price is now $179 fyi. I have been using it for a few days and today I noticed a bright spot on the monitor. Upon further investigation it visible on every background but black. Should I send it back? I have seen stuck pixels before that are stuck to a single color but never white. It is pretty annoying. I like to use a light colored wallpaper since it helps with the reflections from the glossy screen.
20130112164639.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic taken from my cell but it shows the bright spot.

i picked one up too, how u liking it apart from your stuck pixel

i picked one up too, how u liking it apart from your stuck pixel

Colors are good blacks are good and backlight bleed is pretty much nonexistent. I also have a 27" imac and a 27" acd at work. I bought this to go along with the alienware x51 I picked up. It will take some getting used the bigger pixels and thus not as crisp but for the price it is a great monitor.

Found an upcoming PWM free monitor!!! That is ADVERTISED to be Flicker Free from BenQ themselves.

(However they do not say outright that it does not use a PWM, so a slight caution... however... they way they show you how to detect flicker on your monitor... like putting a fan in front of it... and on the one picture showing a smooth fan, and on the other a non-smooth, this probably means it's a PWM Free one, at least every reviewer out there has interpreted it like this, and so I hope so (most likely)).

You might want to wait and get the GW2760HS from BenQ... 8 bit panel, 3000:1 static contrast, VA panel... 1980x1080p 27 inch (maybe slighly big... but...?)

No idea if it uses FRC (let's hope not... you can live without a few percent more (badly) simulated colors, to give you less flicker)

No price set yet. But I suspect it will be around twice the cost(?) of the S2440L, since it is 27 inch instead of 24, and all previous monitors usually cost around that price range, but again it's a new one, and it's a VA panel, so who knows, maybe just slightly higher a price? :)

It seems, that at least on paper, it beats Eizo's PWM free monitor in a lot of ways. (Eizo ev2436w is PWM free down to 20%)

We'll see what the reviewers have to say :)

Good news indeed for all "PWM free monitor" seekers, that got a DELL S2440L equipped with PWM :)! (I did...)

Off topic: I realize, looking back, that I was the first "reviewer" (on the entire internet?), (and on all american forums?), that could tell you the S2440L was a "panel lottery" on the PWM :) Don't I feel cool.... hehehe. And you didn't belive me at first :p Have I earned some credability or respect? :) hehehe.

Peace!!

Last edited:
Hi guys, first post on this forum. But this thread is pretty unik. :) Ive ordered the s27, and im wondering if there is any scrren that could go on the sdes for at plp setup. Anyone? :D

Hi,
I joined the forum just to share my going-over these two displays with you guys..
Please note that is how I saw the monitors in the store!
And this is a comparison between the two and not a review "I don't own any of them YET"

## S2340M
- Pros:
o The colors are so alive and far from any PC monitor I’ve seen before
o Sharp and crisp pictures
o Wide viewing angles
o Stylish with very elegant gray bezel at the bottom
o Reasonably priced ($165~$199 at the time of this review)
o IPS panel
- Cons
o I strained so much to make the monitor show WHITE but I couldn’t.
Tried it with warm & cool and with every setting available, it just show “yellowish tinted WHITE”
o Build quality is really bad, I could see between the frame and the panel,
I end up pressing softly against the panel to find out that it is spongy all over like it’s made of flimsy plastic
o These monitor are very reflective, I own a MacBook Pro and I’ve seen a lot of iMac’s around me.
If I’ll give a score to the MacBook Pro in reflectiveness it will be: “3.5 out of 5” while S2340M “4.5 out of 5”
o Short stand, making the monitor stand lower than anyone would prefer
o No HDMI input
OVERALL: 74 out of 100

## S2440L
- Pros
o Solid build, the glass look rigid with no spongy spots what so ever
o Touch sensitive OSD buttons
o Edge to edge glass
o HDMI input
o A bit responsive than the 2340M, although this is in paper and I couldn’t tell the difference or notice it
o The white does look white and the contrast overall seems better, colors are good but not as the 2340M’s
o Reasonably priced ($179~$240 at the time of this review)
- Cons
o Short stand, making the monitor stand lower than anyone would prefer
o The Viewing angles are lower than the ones on the 2340M
o Very reflective, if I’ll give a score to the MacBook Pro in reflectiveness it will be: “3.5 out of 5”
while S2440L takes “4.5 out of 5”
o Glass seems distant from the panel somehow, it gives the feeling of looking inside a box
OVERALL: 86 out of 100

* Note that I lowered the brightness on the monitor and take my phone to watch for any pulse-duration modulation (PDM)
And during my changes I end up with nothing. I can’t guarantee that this the case on your panel though

S2340M
photo4bw.jpg

S2440L
photo2pb.jpg

** Pictures above are in excessive light environment
You could also adjust some settings over your PC that might be helpful for some problems that I encountered!

Just wanted to note that I picked up a S2440L today (rev 00) and it has PWM. My camera can not detect it even with the brightness set to 0 on the S2440L but, you can see the "strobing/ghosting" if you wave your hand, a toothpick, etc. in front of a white screen with the brightness set to 90 or lower. It's less pronounced than it is on the U2311HM (rev 01) I have which is CCFL. I'm not sure how much the S2440L's edge lit LED PWM will bother me but, the direct LED PWM on my Samsung UN32EH5000 bothered me enough to return it. Time will tell . . .

hey, does the 22" version have glass covering, too? And PWM free backlighting?

Thanks!

Back