Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Teukka76 said:
Dell Home Customers: Save 20% off Select Flat Panel!

Limited Time Offer!
Prices, availability and terms of offer may change without notice. Taxes and shipping charges are extra, vary and are not subject to discount. May be combined with other select offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems configurator, refurbished items or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same items per order, but any applicable discounts apply to only the first 5 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for errors in typography or photography.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just tried - the 25% off coupon, however, may not be used with other "percentage off" offers so it still comes to $600 when you apply the 25% coupon to the 20% off price.

edliu512 said:
Got mine today, virtually perfect!!!! 1 tiny green stuck pixel on white backgrounds that I can hardly see. It's just the screen seems small for some reason :( o well. I hope no problems will show up as time passes.

They hosed my order on some stupid error, My ship date is Devc 15th now, Fuckers........
oh well maybe a better chance of a good one by then.

interesting, i ordered sunday got my monitor yesterday. my backlight problem is only coming from the top left only, i can actually live with it, but I already called dell for a replacement, should be here tomorrow.

What is the easiest way to get a replacement? What phone number or email?? Their regular tech support number sucks major ass to say the least, they can take their express service code and shove it up their ass! LOL

OrionNT said:
What is the easiest way to get a replacement? What phone number or email?? Their regular tech support number sucks major ass to say the least, they can take their express service code and shove it up their ass! LOL

I'd say go with email, it's easy and pretty fast. I've heard of some people spending 1 1/2+ hours on the phone before getting a replacement set up. I spent probably a total of 8 minutes read/responding to emails from Dell support before they agreed to send a replacement.

Alex08 said:
interesting, i ordered sunday got my monitor yesterday. my backlight problem is only coming from the top left only, i can actually live with it, but I already called dell for a replacement, should be here tomorrow.

That weird, where are you located? Why would they tell me the 15th? Free shipping 3-5 day may have something to do with it?

Well their main shipping center on the east coast is in Doravilla Ga. so I get my the very next day after it ships no matter what the delivery length is supposed to be :)

poison123 said:
Well their main shipping center on the east coast is in Doravilla Ga. so I get my the very next day after it ships no matter what the delivery length is supposed to be :)

That is encouraging , I hope I get mine sooner. My 213T sale fell through (the guy lost a transmision) I may take my dell 17 off the contorl arm i Have on it and mount the 213T. and go dual with the 213T floating in md air. I will take pics once I get it all set up. Then I will sell one of my 17 inchers if I like the way the new set up works out.

i'm getting mine today. I was suppose to get it earlier but stupid DHL thought nobody was home and will be doing another attempted delivery tomorrow. I called them and they are sending him back to my house. Dumbass...

Just got my second one in today, set it up next to the first and here is a pic of both with black backgrounds, new one on the right, old on the left.

2005.jpg

As you can see the new one is every bit as bad as the first one got after a week of use. And the first one got steadily worse over that week. The patter is differnet, the problem is most prominant in the top middle aread isntead of the top left corner, but I Cant really make a decision between them. The real problem is that next week I am going on vacation for a month, there is no time left to try a third time. Does this mean Im screwed? I cant imagine what to do now.

Another note after a little bit of use, there is now at least 2 stuck/dead pixels, but still not an issue for me. I would trade the backlight problem for 5 additional dead pixels and be happy

bander said:
Just got my second one in today, set it up next to the first and here is a pic of both with black backgrounds, new one on the right, old on the left.

2005.jpg

As you can see the new one is every bit as bad as the first one got after a week of use. And the first one got steadily worse over that week. The patter is differnet, the problem is most prominant in the top middle aread isntead of the top left corner, but I Cant really make a decision between them. The real problem is that next week I am going on vacation for a month, there is no time left to try a third time. Does this mean Im screwed? I cant imagine what to do now.

keep both and tell everyone at dell to go f*** themselves :cool:

i guess you have 2 choices. Send both back and get a refund or wait until you come back from your vacation call dell and speak to a supervisor.

Has anyone had a problem with Dell Picking up there defective 2005fpw..?? My replacement came and its fine now but they still havent picked up the defective 2005fpw they said they would get within 24 hours...

where are you guys getting these prices from? The only price they'll give me is the 6xx on the website..

jsn117 said:
where are you guys getting these prices from? The only price they'll give me is the 6xx on the website..

a thing called dellf coupons, giving 25% off dell lcds (seach it up. or buy one from ebay or fatwallet). and minus the dollar off coupon, currently only 30.

I ordered one of these as a replacement for my 21" Apple CRT. I'm an Apple zealot, so it took a lot to buy a Dell. But, if this is truely the same actual LCD as the 20" inch Apple, then I'll be pleased. Obviously, Dell has a quality control problem, so I'll be looking this over to make sure there are no issues. I'm guessing there are many happy owners who have no problems but do not post. I ordered on Sunday - they say shipping on Thursday. I'm leaving for Xmas vacation next Monday, so I'm hoping I receive it before then. Anyone from NY order one of these bad boys?

I just got my second panel...and its even better than my first

Again zero dead pixels and less backlight bleeding than my first one.

$592 after tax.

everythingtreo said:
I ordered one of these as a replacement for my 21" Apple CRT. I'm an Apple zealot, so it took a lot to buy a Dell. But, if this is truely the same actual LCD as the 20" inch Apple, then I'll be pleased. Obviously, Dell has a quality control problem, so I'll be looking this over to make sure there are no issues. I'm guessing there are many happy owners who have no problems but do not post. I ordered on Sunday - they say shipping on Thursday. I'm leaving for Xmas vacation next Monday, so I'm hoping I receive it before then. Anyone from NY order one of these bad boys?

I'm from NY. I usually buy apple also. But the $1299 price tag on the 20in kept me away from it.

This lcd is the BEST lcd I have ever used. The colors are amazing. But like many people here I also have the backlight issue :(

I havent had the best of luck with the 2005fpw, but as long as Dell keeps sending new ones, it's fine by me. I can play this game all winter :) The first one I ordered had horrendous backlight leakage, and no dead pixels. I sent it back, and they gave me another new one. Backlight leakage was improved by 100%, it was really minimal (only in the bottom left corner, and only really noticeable at certain viewing angles), but there were 2 stuck white pixels in the center and right of the screen. REALLY annoying, especially when I knew exactly where they were, 'cause my eye goes right to them. I called Dell up again last night and they are sending me another new panel, which should be here on Thursday. I was assured by the tech support guy that the monitor would be checked for both dead pixels as well as backlight leakage and this third panel would be free from both. We will see. Hopefully the third time's the charm :p

BTW, I live in NY.

Mine just arrived and she is perfect in every way!!!!!! I am running her off my 700m at work and I cant wait to get her home and hook her up.

0 dead pixels that i can see and no, absolutely no back light issues.

I got my 2005 about two weeks ago and it had the usual backlight problem. I emailed them about a replacement, it arrived today, and yes, it's much better. Here's a photo for those who think others just aren't noticing the problem (I thought that might be the case also):

new2005.jpg

Edit: OK, the sun just went behind some clouds, and it got pretty dark for a bit, and I can see that it's not perfect, but it is a lot better.

As far as that's concerned, I'm happy.

BUT...

I had two other problems with the monitor, and they're present on this second one too, which is odd because they seemed more like defects than the backlight issue. These are a lot less visible, so I do think others may not be seeing them. Can you guys check?

Here are two of the photos I sent Dell:

colors.jpg

That is visible from all angles, and can be seen easily with light colors (pink, pale orange, light green, etc.)

ghost.jpg

To elaborate on the second one: If I have a high contrast image (or text) on the left side of the screen for a little while, it will leave a ghost after being removed, which will fade out slowly. This is most visible when the replacing color is a middle gray, but can be seen on others as well. The effect fades out towards the right side of the screen.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could try to reproduce it on your monitors. As a test, you could set your desktop to gray, move this forum window's left edge about an inch from the left edge of the screen, and after about ten seconds, close the window and see if it leaves an edge where the black from this page was.

Thanks.

i am having the same probelm as you shell...i think they call that burn in. anyways, i first noticed mine after logging out of windows and i saw the imprints of my background on the blue windows log out screen.

mine is not as prominent as yours, could be just the pic, but it stays for a very long time, like a few minutes before going away.

it's only noticeable on solid color backgrounds though.

i dont think these dell 2005fpw are ready yet...

Is there any way to play a game in 800x600 without having it stretch? I want to play at 800x600 with black bars or something on the sides, any ideas?

If I have two 2005FPWs with an Ati X850 XT PE... will I be able to run both ok? Any problems with image quality at all?

shell said:
I got my 2005 about two weeks ago and it had the usual backlight problem. I emailed them about a replacement, it arrived today, and yes, it's much better. Here's a photo for those who think others just aren't noticing the problem (I thought that might be the case also):

new2005.jpg

Edit: OK, the sun just went behind some clouds, and it got pretty dark for a bit, and I can see that it's not perfect, but it is a lot better.

As far as that's concerned, I'm happy.

BUT...

I had two other problems with the monitor, and they're present on this second one too, which is odd because they seemed more like defects than the backlight issue. These are a lot less visible, so I do think others may not be seeing them. Can you guys check?

Here are two of the photos I sent Dell:

colors.jpg

That is visible from all angles, and can be seen easily with light colors (pink, pale orange, light green, etc.)

ghost.jpg

To elaborate on the second one: If I have a high contrast image (or text) on the left side of the screen for a little while, it will leave a ghost after being removed, which will fade out slowly. This is most visible when the replacing color is a middle gray, but can be seen on others as well. The effect fades out towards the right side of the screen.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could try to reproduce it on your monitors. As a test, you could set your desktop to gray, move this forum window's left edge about an inch from the left edge of the screen, and after about ten seconds, close the window and see if it leaves an edge where the black from this page was.

Thanks.

Problem 1 .. nope mine doesn't fade like that. Only when I look at the monitor while standing up it fades to purple. But nothing crazy like in that pic.

Problem 2.. I do not have the ghosting problem either.

What I do have is the backlight issue :(

GREAT NEWS

Got my Third 2005 fpw in just now, backlight issue is nonexistant. (manufacture date December, previous 2 from november) There is 1 stuck pixel, and another little blotch that ldousnt look like a dead pixel, looks more like some dark smudge on the screen about the size of 2 pixels, but wont come off. But these issues are tremendously less annoying then bad backlighting. This one is a keeper.

edit: Weird, that black splotch is way behind the panel, when I move my head, the spot moves in relation to the image on the screen a lot. Could it be a little dead patch in the blacklight?

My first replacement's backlighting definitely looks much better, but I found two stuck pixels in the middle and stopped looking and packed it back up. Maybe third time will be a charm.

Also, did you guys receive a shipping label to send it back? I emailed them about it and they havent responded yet.

The shipping label should be behind the order sheetin in that plastic pouch on the outside of the box.

But I still think that 2 stuck pixels is not worth returning for.

I hope the 3rd one that im suppose to receive tomorrow will be a good one. I'm returning the 2nd one due to backlight and 2 dead pixels.

bander said:
The shipping label should be behind the order sheetin in that plastic pouch on the outside of the box.

But I still think that 2 stuck pixels is not worth returning for.

No shipping label, just an packing slip.

Yeah I would agree if they werent directly in the middle of the screen not to mention if I looked at more than a black screen I am sure I would find more. I would honestly deal with the backlighting issue rather than two stuck pixels in the middle of my screen. The backlighting was better on the replacement, but far from perfect.

Hey, i was looking at one of these and was wondering if it is worth buying. I currently have a 21" Panasonic PanaSync/Pro CRT monitor. Is it worth buying this beast? And will my games stretch to fill the entire screen in all games? How is people getting the additional % off? I'm only getting the 20% off and its making the price 639.20 and after taxes its 687.14. Damn taxes!

I ordered and recieved a 2005fp. There was backlight leakage and dead pixels. I didnt want to go through the return(s) cycle, so I am waiting for the UPS guy to pick it up, and I'm going to get my money back.

I think I'm going to order the 20.1", or 19" viewsonic. I will not deal with Dell again.

Spike said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurq
So weak.. it's 22% here. I would be extremely happy for 9.25%.

lol no tax here guys.... you all need to move to oregon.

Holy crap! 22% ?!? 8.25 here in TX... Why couldn't Dell be based out of coonass country? :)

shell said:

ghost.jpg

Thanks.

I can confirm the color fading problem on the left side. About two inches in from the left bezel, all colors are desaturated, and is especially noticeable on pure white; it appears as an off-white or very light grey compared to the same white window if you move it closer to the center of the screen. For most it would be no problem, but it really irks me in particular.

I have the backlight problem, but no dead or stuck pixels.

As for the "ghost image"...I've experienced that on EVERY LCD I've had that was 20" or larger. I owned Samsung 181T and 191Ts and never noticed the problem, and admittedly, the 2005FPW isn't as bad as my 213T, but this ghost image retention is obvious. I always run DVI, by the way, never analog. Frankly, I don't believe people when they say they don't see it. Just leave a webpage up for a while and then look against a slightly lighter or darker background and you WILL see it.

backlight.jpg

I've been considering purchasing this monitor for use with my computer and xbox and I have a few questions about the monitor's hardware zoom function. I'm planning to use a vga adapter with component cables to connect the xbox. To avoid scaling artifacts I would like to scale the picture up to 1280 x 960 (from 640 x 480) or 1708 x 960 (from 854 x 480) - a multiple of the original resolution. I've downloaded the user's manual so I already know that the zoom function can only be used with vga input and that it's controlled with the + and - buttons.
1. Can you zoom in or out of the entire picture or just part of it?
2. How precise is the zoom function? Starting with 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect from the scaler menu can you zoom in or out gradually until the picture is 960 pixels tall or is the zoom function limited to preset levels of magnification which the + and - buttons just cycle through?
3. Can you zoom in to the point where part of the picture is off screen (a 16:9 480p picture would be 1708 pixels wide after zooming so 14 lines of resolution would be missing on each side)?
Thanks.

I know there were rumors of a Samsung screen coming out soon that is a widescreen 20" or so at 1920x1200, anyone know anything about that?

Back