Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

CRXican,
Are you saying it's ok to have a defective product?
Are you saying that when we buy something we should be satisfied with what we get wether it's broken or not?
Maybe 700 dollars is nothing to you but to me its a lot of money.

If all LCD's came factory with blacklight issues then fine. I'll live with that but from what I understand they don't.

If you have nothing nice to say don't open your mouth, thanks for your help buddy. Let me go see where I can apply your comments

war_child said:
CRXican,
Are you saying it's ok to have a defective product?
Are you saying that when we buy something we should be satisfied with what we get wether it's broken or not?
Maybe 700 dollars is nothing to you but to me its a lot of money.

If all LCD's came factory with blacklight issues then fine. I'll live with that but from what I understand they don't.

If you have nothing nice to say don't open your mouth, thanks for your help buddy. Let me go see where I can apply your comments
I'm one of the most picky people you'll find and spend money to get the best. Backlight is noticed on a black background, how often is your PC on a black background. The picutre is beautiful and I notice no backlight when using the monitor 90% of the time. The 2005FPW is an excellent bargain at even $700. You can start complaining when your $1200 Samsung has an issue. You get what you pay for.

Backlighting is not something I plan on living with. If my monitor has it then I'm sending it back. I don't care how common it is, I will not accept a defective product. If this were any other product on the market, you'd probably do the same thing. What if half the CRT's from some company had this problem. What if half the PSU's from a certain company smelled like dead fish. Just because a lot of them are like that doesn't mean its ok.

CRXican,
I do agree with your point "you get what you pay for".
I took the time to read about the 2005FPW and from what I understood black-lighting wasn't part of the 700 dollar price tag "is this common to all LCD's"?

This is my first LCD, so I have very little experience with past products. Some don't have this issue and some do.
You make the comment you don't see the issue 90% of the time. This would imply you paid 100% for a product only to get 90% return.

I will disagree with you :)

I will not be happy until the product is 100% working or someone very creditable states that all LCD's are like this.

war_child

Your point is valid, you're just in for a lot of hassle. I have a 2001FP as well and it had minimal backlight from two corners. The problem may be exclusive to Dells but that doesn't make sense because other companies produce the panels. All I can say is you're in for a big hassle trying to deal with a huge company like Dell. Since you're so adamant your best bet would be to buy a monitor at a local store, save yourself some time but not money.

And while you're at it check out this thread, I just started reading it

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=840885

CRXican said:
war_child

Your point is valid, you're just in for a lot of hassle. I have a 2001FP as well and it had minimal backlight from two corners. The problem may be exclusive to Dells but that doesn't make sense because other companies produce the panels. All I can say is you're in for a big hassle trying to deal with a huge company like Dell. Since you're so adamant your best bet would be to buy a monitor at a local store, save yourself some time but not money.

And while you're at it check out this thread, I just started reading it

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=840885

The backlight problem has nothing to do with the LCD panel (made by LG) itself. The problem is with the housing (made by BenQ). If you have a lot of dead pixels then it's LG's fault and if you have the backlight problem blame it on Benq. LOL

Ron21 said:
The backlight problem has nothing to do with the LCD panel (made by LG) itself. The problem is with the housing (made by BenQ). If you have a lot of dead pixels then it's LG's fault and if you have the backlight problem blame it on Benq. LOL
then BENQ should die in a fire

The funny thing is I never noticed the backlight issue until I seen this thread. I have 3 lcd's a NEC 17in, Samsung 15in and the Dell 2005fpw. All 3 have backlight bleeding. I've had the nec and samsung for 2 years and never noticed the backlight bleeding until I read this thread! And now I keep on paying attention to the backlight problem and it annoying as hell! This thread needs to be deleted :p

Ron21 said:
The funny thing is I never noticed the backlight issue until I seen this thread. I have 3 lcd's a NEC 17in, Samsung 15in and the Dell 2005fpw. All 3 have backlight bleeding. I've had the nec and samsung for 2 years and never noticed the backlight bleeding until I read this thread! And now I keep on paying attention to the backlight problem and it annoying as hell! This thread needs to be deleted :p
I'm sure the same can be said for most of the people bitching and moaning about it. Had they not seen such a thread they wouldn't even have noticed. Except in the extreme cases of course. It's pretty funny.

The first monitor I received had some slight backlighting issues and 1 pixel stuck on red in the top right about halfway towards the center of the screen. I read how people were getting replacements with no dead pixels and figured I might as well try for a perfect one. It has become a job now.

The first one was Nov2004, then they sent me a replacement Dec2004. I can't even believe they would ship something in such a state. It had over a dozen stuck pixels and the lower right was almost completely white. So of course I held onto the original and asked for another replacement. They promised it would be checked out by a supervisor before they sent it out. Well apparently their supervisor is legally blind. It is also a Dec2004 build and it has 11 stuck pixels and worse backlighting than the first two.

The backlighting really doesn't bother me as I cannot see it in games and that is basically what the monitor is used for. The dead pixels drive me nuts as my eyes seem to gravitate towards them 24/7. Now I am wondering if I should ask for my money back or just keep the first one. I can't be bothered returning monitors for the next few months :(

More Pics of the most amazing monitor i've ever encountered in my life

14398p

14391l

14394y

I have a question: will the 25% off, amex $150 off, and $35 off $300 all work?

Gametheory,

how about posting some pics of your amazing monitor with a BLACK background to show off its perfect backlight

how is the ghosting?
SDE?

Gametheory said:
More Pics of the most amazing monitor i've ever encountered in my life

14394y

look i may not have the dell, but my 65 inch HDTV owns ur grizazzle!

post-69-1104270677.jpg

but seriously, i dont think u need to spend that much money for flat panel goodness, i game it up on this bad bow

post-69-1104272024.jpg

Got a email today they screwed up my return. I gave them a call and they gave me a deal even though I am now passed the 21 day return. So they are giving me back $80 and sending me a new monitor. So I got mine for about $550 with taxes/shipping.

Here is my Dell 2005FPW.

You can see here, very slight leaking....But with so little and 0 dead pixels I am very pleased.
blank.jpg

Gotta love it:) You can't see any of the leaking in normal use.....ever
desktop1.jpg

desktop2.jpg

And a fun one:)
movie.jpg

I received the 2005fpw a few days ago and amazingly I have no stuck pixels and minimal backlight leakage. but I notice a kind of film on the screen. I thought at first it had residue on it and tried to clean it. No go, it's part of the screen or something. It almost looks like you ran your thumb down the screen. It's very noticeable with a white background.

I looked at a couple of the lcd's here at work and they all have it to some degree, but my 2005fpw is alot worse. My acer laptop which I use alot has very little.

Does anybody know what this is and if it would do any good for me to try and get a replacement?

Just changed my background to all white and didn't notice any of what you mentioned. If it is bothersome to regular usage...I would say its worth looking into. Not sure how Dell would handle that return though.

-Ed

I think it's a characteristic of all lcd's , but I've never noticed it except on this one. Once I saw it I really started looking for it on all of them I could find and it's there, but very slight compared to mine. The screen just looks like it's needs a good cleaning. Maybe it's fixed panel noise, I'm not sure.

Even my wife commented on it. ;)

tjdavis1138 said:
I received the 2005fpw a few days ago and amazingly I have no stuck pixels and minimal backlight leakage. but I notice a kind of film on the screen. I thought at first it had residue on it and tried to clean it. No go, it's part of the screen or something. It almost looks like you ran your thumb down the screen. It's very noticeable with a white background.

I looked at a couple of the lcd's here at work and they all have it to some degree, but my 2005fpw is alot worse. My acer laptop which I use alot has very little.

Does anybody know what this is and if it would do any good for me to try and get a replacement?

Is it, like, "sparkly"? If so, it's characteristic of all the 20"+ LCD non-Samsung screens I've seen.

tjdavis1138 said:
Exactly.

Well , I'm not sure what I'm going to do then.

It's visible on my 2005FPW just like on the 23" Apple HD cinema I had. You get used to it. Better than the "striped" screen on the Samsung PVA 213T, I guess.

I got my 2001FP today, my 2005PFW is still with UPS.

Anywho... No dead pixel at all, there was a very slight backlight leak on the left, it was really small and didnt really bother me. I decided anyway to tryout the massage trick. I took the soft bag the actual LCD was in and used that and pressed the screen a little bit around where the leak was.. Just a few seconds of "massaging" and its completely gone!

The screen is great though! Its so big! I cant wait for my 20005FPW to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just checking in, got the exchange monitor today...

about 5 dead/stuck pixel....but very little backlight leakage, definitely tolerable, and an improvement from the previous two.

make is dec. 04

Got mine today.

Absolutely No backlight issues at all. I was really surprised. 2 dead pixels off to the sides, only noticed it under a pixel test on a white background.

Extremely happy.

Made in Mexico Rev A00 December 2004

Did I get a returned 2005FPW? I opened up the box at work and it seemed the bags the lcd and the stand are in were not sealed/closed completly. Additionally the D-Sub/VGA cable was plugged into the display already. I can't test it here (damned ATI Rage 128 vid card doesnt have proper display size) but I think it has at least 1 dead pixel (from looking at the self test) and some back light issues...

Size wise, its not as big as I thought. i've been using a 19" crt for several years and it seems to have the same hieght.

Also a Made in Mexico Rev A00 December 2004 model.

No, mine came the same way. The VGA is always attached. The bags were loose etc. My monitor is perfects sans 2 dead pixels that only show up under 1 color. No backlight bleeding at all. Someone would have to be super anal if they returned it.

RedChief said:
Did I get a returned 2005FPW? I opened up the box at work and it seemed the bags the lcd and the stand are in were not sealed/closed completly. Additionally the D-Sub/VGA cable was plugged into the display already. I can't test it here (damned ATI Rage 128 vid card doesnt have proper display size) but I think it has at least 1 dead pixel (from looking at the self test) and some back light issues...

Size wise, its not as big as I thought. i've been using a 19" crt for several years and it seems to have the same hieght.

Also a Made in Mexico Rev A00 December 2004 model.

Got mine today. It's from November 04. No backlight problems but there is one stuck (green) pixel in the upper left.

Anyone think it's worth returning?

I got mine today :) How would i go about testing the backlight leakage. Monitorsdirect.com is down so i cant get a monitor test but doing the black and white background test i cant find any dead pixels. THIS MONITOR IS BRIGHT. Im coming from a 19" crt that was losing brightness and this is quite a shock. Is there any way to make it a little less bright? If not i guess its not a big deal, i just have to have my desk lamps on.

Santos L. Halper said:
Got mine today. It's from November 04. No backlight problems but there is one stuck (green) pixel in the upper left.

Anyone think it's worth returning?
no, one pixel is nothing

CRXican said:
no, one pixel is nothing

I'm gonna use it over the weekend. If it really starts to bug me I might return it.

The stuck pixel is neon fucking green. It's pretty hard not to notice.

gibkeeg said:
No, mine came the same way. The VGA is always attached. The bags were loose etc. My monitor is perfects sans 2 dead pixels that only show up under 1 color. No backlight bleeding at all. Someone would have to be super anal if they returned it.

Thanks.

Now, would someone mind explaining how to massage it? I really dont care to have to return one...

Back