Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Yes, for the Dell 2005FPW you have to get seated correctly, at a perpendicular viewing angle to the screen. If you sit just a bit to the side, the screen will take on a "peach" hue.

The peach effect isn't to be confused with backlight issues though, backlight issues are defects, while the peach effect is an inherent characteristic of the panel. Perhaps it is more pronounced because of how long the screen is.

Well got mine today it has 2 stuck pixels and bad backlite bleed through in the top 2 corners going to leave it on for awhile and hopefully it will get better on the bleed through the pixels are so dimly stuck on it is hard to see them!

Frank_G said:
Well got mine today it has 2 stuck pixels and bad backlite bleed through in the top 2 corners going to leave it on for awhile and hopefully it will get better on the bleed through the pixels are so dimly stuck on it is hard to see them!

Usually the bleeding is less on power up and gets much worse 3 hours or so later. That's why everyone waits a bit after turning it on before assuming they got a good screen.

Originally Posted by bassem
Hey, I read your post on the 2005fpw thread. Just wanted some more details as to that process for getting rid of backlight issues with the 2005fpw. It makes sense, but do you do it while the monitor is on? A step-by-step explenation would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Well, what I did that did help a LITTLE... was, while the monitor was still hot,

Step:
1) unplug the monitor (all plugs)
2) grab the bag, and the screen protector that it came with (or something similarly soft, as well as a scratch protector)
3) remove the LCD panel from the base
4) placed the LCD face-down onto the bag&protector on a hard surface
5) wait overnight

Should help out a little, I think... unless yours is really bad. I will post this in the thread for others to follow. I simply did what someone else in this long thread did

Steve

steviep said:
Well, what I did that did help a LITTLE... was, while the monitor was still hot,

Step:
1) unplug the monitor (all plugs)
2) grab the bag, and the screen protector that it came with (or something similarly soft, as well as a scratch protector)
3) remove the LCD panel from the base
4) placed the LCD face-down onto the bag&protector on a hard surface
5) wait overnight

Should help out a little, I think... unless yours is really bad. I will post this in the thread for others to follow. I simply did what someone else in this long thread did

Steve

I wonder what would happen if you leave the screen on while you leave it face down overnight. That would keep the panel hot, which should help it level out even more.

Alright, someone experiment with it and let us know.... I think it's fine the way it is, so I'm not going to bother with mine.

Just got mine! A01 Jan 05. No dead pixels. Looks awesome! I can't wait to get this bad boy home and really run it through the paces.

Make sure there is no light from other sources besides the monitor, and run the monitor for about 3-4 hours. Go in to Display properties and screen saver, and choose "blank" as the screensaver. Click preview and the screen should be a blank, black screen. If there is bleeding it will show up as splotches of light around the edges and the corners.

If there is no light leakage, you are in the clear and your monitor is perfect. The backlight leakage isn't that noticeable anyway in standard applications and games.

2005FPW - January 2005, Mexico, Rev. A01

All right, so I got my 2005FPW on Monday and have been using it ever since. This is hooked up to my brand new computer, and looks absolutely beautiful. No dead pixels, but pretty severe backlight issues. The funny thing is that I constantly find myself simulating a completely dark environment, blacking out my screen, etc. and look for these issues. Whenever I'm using it, though, it looks stunning. Web browsing has never been so enjoyable. Gaming is a whole new experience. Just running Windows has become more fun. Anyway, I doubt you guys want to hear me ramble on and on, let's just get to some pics.

backlight1.JPG

NOTE: This is extremely exaggerated. The simulated light conditions and the way the camera picks it up really accentuates it. However, this does show where the problems occur. Big time in the top right and left. Bottom left is decent. And bottom right is fine. Here's one more.. sorry about the unsteady hand.

backlight2.JPG

Pretty much the same thing.

browsing.JPG

Portrait mode is awesome, especially for news blogs, long threads, long documents, etc. It's somewhat of a hassle to turn the screen, but turning it is pretty simple in itself. Just if you're lazy, it's not something that you'll want to do often. I just used nVidia settings to rotate the desktop.

desktop.JPG

Desktops look amazing. Hopefully wide-aspect wallpapers become more and more popular. www.interfacelift.com is an awesome sight (found it on these forums somewhere), but they have a ton of high quality widescreen shots. Pretty sweet.

desk1.JPG

desk2.JPG

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Dark parts in HL2 are decent, it just seems a little washed out in the top left corner especially. Considering people's luck with February models (as more people post their opinions on that) and my luck with that face-down process, I might go for a replacement. What's the worse that can happen? Just send one back. But still, awesome LCD, for $580 shipped to CA, you can't beat it. Hope this kind of helped, although it was more pictures than analysis. Have a great day guys.

- Bassem

Well guys, mine looks great. Ran it for hours at work. Got it home, and found the black light bleeding to be fairly minimal. A little on the bottom left corner. Otherwise it's awesome. I love this thing. Best $550 I ever spent.

mine will be delivered to my house tomorrow when I wont be around. Will they leave it with a neighbor or take it back to the UPS building or what?

edit: i used 2nd day shipping

bassem said:
Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Dark parts in HL2 are decent, it just seems a little washed out in the top left corner especially. Considering people's luck with February models (as more people post their opinions on that) and my luck with that face-down process, I might go for a replacement. What's the worse that can happen? Just send one back. But still, awesome LCD, for $580 shipped to CA, you can't beat it. Hope this kind of helped, although it was more pictures than analysis. Have a great day guys.

- Bassem

Keep it. If there are no dead pixels, it's good enough. That's why I'm worried on purchasing this monitor - the dead pixel(s). I think every LCD has some kind of backlight leakage. If you ask for another it might come with dead pixels and the backlight leakage or even worse a refurbished one that was in somones home already. Totally unacceptable :mad:

This is what I don't understand. I have read that some people have 3 monitors in their possession but need to send 2 defective back. If you decide to return it, do they send you another and after you send out the defective one or do they want the defective one in their hands before they send you a new one? How does this work?

brent4president said:
mine will be delivered to my house tomorrow when I wont be around. Will they leave it with a neighbor or take it back to the UPS building or what?

edit: i used 2nd day shipping

It really depends on your UPS delivery man. My dell shipment didnt require a signiture, but he decided it looked too valuable and redelivered the next day.

OrionNT said:
It really depends on your UPS delivery man. My dell shipment didnt require a signiture, but he decided it looked too valuable and redelivered the next day.
i just found out it is airborne america or something. anyway i heard they just bring it back to the "hub" and either try again or i come pick it up. im so excited i peed a little

brent4president said:
i just found out it is airborne america or something. anyway i heard they just bring it back to the "hub" and either try again or i come pick it up. im so excited i peed a little

That's generally what we do at UPS. I'll not comment on what else we do.

On saying how often you'll find yourself looking at the screen in complete darkness with a black screen to see this.

Well, with mine, with two 60 watt lights on in the middle ceiling of my room and the windows XP screensaver going, I can still clearly see the bleeding, even though the room isn't dark.

And then when you play games you often turn the lights out, and some games take place at night. With LCDs blacks are already bad, but then with bleeding on top of that it's just unbarable.

I have small amount of bleeding on my Laptop, but that's normal, and it's consistent with every one of that model, so you know that's just how it is. But with these 2005fpws, why are some perfect, some not that bad, some horrible, and then bleeding in totally different areas, it just sounds like crappy quality control, something that should have been resolved before release.

Even though I like the screen, I just feel a little angry about how Dell is handling this. Maybe I should fight for a return with my American Express 90 day return policy, now that it has been over 30 days.

Hi guys,

Cnet.com has just posted their full review on the Dell 2005FPW monitor. http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_2005FPW/4505-3174_7-31232082-2.html?tag=top

By the way, i previously posted about my backlight problem and now I am with the second replacement monitor (Jan, REV A01). This one's backlight is nealy perfect (no more white patches on the corners when playing doom 3) but it has 4 very faint stuck pixels, which I cannot see unless I really look for them when the screen's background is black. I think nearly all the 2005FPW monitors that came out from Dell recently have some kind of defects, be it backlight bleeding and/or dead/stuck pixels. So I am gonna leave it at that. No point in playing the replacement game. Too much hassel.

My final verdict for the monitor: 80% (I'd give it 95% if it weren't for the stuck pixels)
My verdict for dell support: 50% for the stupid tech support people for their incompetency and not knowing any issues with the 2005FPW monitor.

Cheers

In regard to the CNET review - I believe that it was actually done in November - they've just recycled it.

Fionavar said:
In regard to the CNET review - I believe that it was actually done in November - they've just recycled it.

If you read the top of the page, it says:

Reviewed by Jeffrey Fuchs

Edited by Felisa Yang

Reviewed February 7, 2005

Does anyone have a 6600GT and is 1680x1050 playable in Half-life 2, Doom 3, and Far Cry?

If so, what are the best settings for you?

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

FP2005FPW R01 January, Mexico
These show my backlit problems, Its really not quite as bad as it looks. This thing just looks AMAZING when its not completly black. The colors are crisp bright and beautiful. Don't know if I should send it back. If I do, I'm not going to play the send me a new one game, I'm just going to get a refund... and wait a for months for a better deal on one with no backlighting problems.

I'll agree with the C-net reviewer about playing DVD movies (stretching a non-HD source to 1680x1050 makes DVDs look really grainy on this thing) - but ghosting for games?

perfect monitor here!

when the whole screen is black there is a bit of dim light around the corners from certain angles, but this is a feature of the monitor. From head on it is black as night. everything else is perfect and no dead pixles, so im one very happy consumer.

edit: hardforum works fine... no light on the corner of the screens. where it should be black, it is pitch black

edit2: and now for some wallpapers!

Feb Rev A01 Made in Old Mexico

It appears on this make that the issues are less then I have seen posted before on these forums. IMO it looks pretty good even when I in the room w/it.

Here is a pic

jay

Feb%20REV%20A01.jpg

What is the return policy with dell? Can I wait about 4 months and then call them and get this is exchanged for a new one without any flaws? Or is there a point where I cant exchange?

Cr@zZy said:
What is the return policy with dell? Can I wait about 4 months and then call them and get this is exchanged for a new one without any flaws? Or is there a point where I cant exchange?

Well up to three years they have to fix or replace it. Good luck with Tech Support. It really isn't that bad just plan on doing something else for the next 30 minutes while you are on hold. Also when they ask you if you have done this and that. Just say yes I am very computer savy. Say you've tried everything possible and it still looks bad. My plan is in about 2 years I'll call up and complain and see what they will give me. If they upgrade me up to a 24 inch :cool: then I'll think about it. Right now my 2005fpw is amazing. Pretty much ZERO back light leakage! I love this monitor. How I lived with my 19" Viewsonic A90f+ for so long is beyond me. Definitely worth every penny I paid. I would have given it a 9/10.

i've order a 2005fpw now.. but I'm not shure if my gfx card can handle it.. its a geforce 3 ti 500.. Can I use it until I get a new one or is it impossible?

Hey folks,
Im curious about something...
I ordered a 2005fpw on dec. 28 and recieved it early jan. When i opened the box and unpacked it, i noticed that the monitor had no wrapping at all on it. This was the first time i had purchased an LCD and from dell so i thought thats how they did it. The backlight problem was average and the few stuck pixels i found didnt bother me. Well, i ordered another and recieved it a few days ago. This new one had the monitor wrapped and the panel faced covered with a plastic sheet with "1680X1050" printed on it. So this is how my last one should have come! Could the first monitor i recieved been a refurb that was passed off as brand new?! :eek:

BTW, the new one i just recieved is near perfect IMO. No pixel defects, minimal backlight problems. :D

Jaa-Yoo said:
Hey folks,
Im curious about something...
I ordered a 2005fpw on dec. 28 and recieved it early jan. When i opened the box and unpacked it, i noticed that the monitor had no wrapping at all on it. This was the first time i had purchased an LCD and from dell so i thought thats how they did it. The backlight problem was average and the few stuck pixels i found didnt bother me. Well, i ordered another and recieved it a few days ago. This new one had the monitor wrapped and the panel faced covered with a plastic sheet with "1680X1050" printed on it. So this is how my last one should have come! Could the first monitor i recieved been a refurb that was passed off as brand new?! :eek:

BTW, the new one i just recieved is near perfect IMO. No pixel defects, minimal backlight problems. :D

sounds like they ripped you off.

or it could have been a manf screw up.

Just bought a 2005FPW, need to get a suitable video card (still using an old GeForce) before it arrives and looking for experience/suggestions.

From reading thru the threads, I see that the NVIDIA 6 series and the ATI 9800 Pro are great, but I'm looking for something less expensive. Particularly, I'm interested in an ATI 9700 Pro. They list for around $135 on ebay, but I can't tell from it's specs whether it handles the wide aspect 1680 x 1050. Does anyone have experience with the 9700 Pro and 2005FPW?

Also, if you know of a good card for the 2005FPW in the sub $200 range, I'd appreciate the recommendation.

pmondo said:
Just bought a 2005FPW, need to get a suitable video card (still using an old GeForce) before it arrives and looking for experience/suggestions.

From reading thru the threads, I see that the NVIDIA 6 series and the ATI 9800 Pro are great, but I'm looking for something less expensive. Particularly, I'm interested in an ATI 9700 Pro. They list for around $135 on ebay, but I can't tell from it's specs whether it handles the wide aspect 1680 x 1050. Does anyone have experience with the 9700 Pro and 2005FPW?

Also, if you know of a good card for the 2005FPW in the sub $200 range, I'd appreciate the recommendation.

Spend the $15 extra on a 6600- the advice that I give for what's available right now, is to buy the most expensive 6X00xx you are willing to afford. You CAN afford one for that price, and it IS worth it. kepp in mind that the 9700 is the ORIGINAL implementation of ATi's DX9 tech- it has been much improved.

I have a 9700np and it runs the desktop and games at 1680x1050 just fine. But I'd have to agree that if you're looking in the under $200 market, you should probably go with a 6600GT. It's newer, it's faster, and it doesn't cost much more than older and slower.

jbird239 said:
Feb Rev A01 Made in Old Mexico

It appears on this make that the issues are less then I have seen posted before on these forums. IMO it looks pretty good even when I in the room w/it.

Here is a pic

jay

Feb%20REV%20A01.jpg

How long did you let your screen heat-up, it could actually be worse after a couple hours of use.

Ok, I got my slim PS2 today and realized I have no way to hook up the sound to my 2005FPW. Does this mean I'm out of luck? I really don't want to have to buy a TV to use this thing.

All right, I just spent about three hours playing Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield w/ my Radeon 9500Pro and I was hangin out at 100fps and man, does this monitor kick ass. NO ghosting, very responsive. It's the BEST gaming monitor I've ever seen. Especially cause so many of these First Person Shooters have very dark areas. It's VERY bright. I love it!

Back