Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Finally got my replacement 2005 - huge backlight bleeding in the bottom-left corner. This sucks......Think they'll give me a good deal on a 2405? :D

Just curious - what is the brightness on your monitor set at?

I read elsehere that the 2005FP is shipped with the brightness set at 100%; and that if the brightness is dropped down to 0% (which is still VERY bright) the backbleeding is much less.

sophie said:
Just curious - what is the brightness on your monitor set at?

I read elsehere that the 2005FP is shipped with the brightness set at 100%; and that if the brightness is dropped down to 0% (which is still VERY bright) the backbleeding is much less.

I must be missing it but where is the option to adjust brightness and contrast? I didn't see it under the Main Menu.

I tried doing what you suggested, but tyhere is very little change in the amount of backlight bleeding. There is a 4-5" arc of brightness in the bottom-left corner. The really funny thing is, my first 2005 (which Istill have not returned yet) has a much better screen, but the frame near the controls was damaged upon delivery. Think Dell would noticew if I switched LCD panels between the two?

If im am correct, when using DVI you have to change within windows? I use powerstrip hotkeys ;)

No matter which connection I use (laptop has DVI and VGA), and no matter what my brightness is set at (0-100%) the backlighting issue is still there. What do I have to do to get a decent 2005?

I'm thinking about buying this monitor but it's not been easy finding a trustworthy online retailer that also delivers to APOs (Dell.com won't send them here). I finally found one here but the monitor is a refurb. How big of a risk will it be to buy this monitor? Any help will be appreciated.

Wow I think I am really pissed. I had posted that I went through all that trouble to get a replacement and now I am happy with my original. I could care less about the backlight bleeding now.

I noticed one stuck(not black but different colors) pixel and I thought ahh that has always been there(I had seen it before), but just for kicks I decided to fire up Dead Pixel Buddy. What did I notice? About 7-10 stuck pixels all over the screen. They arent dirt, because I tried with a cloth. Is this normal? Looks like this is going to take a lot of massaging. Might just have to bring in a hooker to fix my monitor :(

well i got my replacement today and it was a refurb :mad: figure i would at least try it and see.
pulled it out of the box and there were finger prints on the screen in the upper left corner. crap i though, the last person must have returned it for backlight leakage as well. So i fired it up and to my surprise no leakage, but some really annoying stuck pixels (4+). theres one green one that is very bright when its in a small black window on screen. Just emailed dell to send another replacement. But, in the meantime its 40.2" of desktop baby :D

Can someone do me a HUGE favor and measure how tall the viewing height is on this monitor? just the panel part, not the plastic surrounding. Thanks. It should be around 10.75"-11" right?

Sparrow_69 said:
From the online manual, the actual panel size is 17" wide by 10.7" high.

Yea i measured mine and it looks about right for the actual display size.

And i figured out where to adjust the brightness/contrast. You have to go to Main Menu -> PIP / PBP :).

I'm probably going to keep my second replacement that i'm on now since it only has a couple of stuck blue pixels and like one white dead pixel and you can only see them when you look for them on a black screen. I can't notice them any other time. I went ahead and contracted Dell to send me one more so i can see if i get lucky on my fourth one but if its not any better i'm done.

Holy that sucks. You've been through what, 4 replacements now then? You have more patience than I do dude. ;)

Riptide_NVN said:
Holy that sucks. You've been through what, 4 replacements now then? You have more patience than I do dude. ;)

I've had the original and two replacements. I've got a new replacement that will be here in a few days which will be my fourth and probably last. My second replacement is pretty good so i'll keep it if this new one isn't better.

Sparrow_69 said:
From the online manual, the actual panel size is 17" wide by 10.7" high.

sweet. The 17" dell lcd I have is measured at 10.6" It should look great next to this monitor if I can convince myself to get it. And this is just what I needed, another reason to get this monitor. grr.....

For those of you who have RMAd this monitor, have you noticed that when you go to the "My Account" page on Dell's website that your RMA order number shows up and it looks like they're charging you for it? I just did an RMA, and I noticed it showing up with a price next to it, it's even high than the original price. Just wondering if that's normal?

Edit: Got a pic of it:

My advice would be to call Dell asap, follow up on here whether or not they charged you because I've never bought from them and a random charge like that would totally screw up my bank account.

peacetilence said:
My advice would be to call Dell asap, follow up on here whether or not they charged you because I've never bought from them and a random charge like that would totally screw up my bank account.
Just talked to someone else on another forum, they had the same thing happen. Looks like the system just automatically puts that down, I don't believe that a charge actually happens. That’s a sigh of relief!

Edit: Emailed a CSR, here's the reply:

Dear XXX XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care.

The charge that you are see will not be charged to you. This is what the system cost to get the exchange set-up. We just use it for our records and paperwork.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Should you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us at www.dell.ca. Please choose Support & Customer Care.

How are we doing? If you would like to provide feedback or feel you have an unresolved issue please feel free to contact our Case Manager Tina at [email protected]. We appreciate your comments.

Regards,

XXXXXXX X.
Dell Customer Care
[email protected]
Phone: (800) 847-4096

Just an update on mine. I began to notice the backlight would flicker for the first 15-20 minutes it was on, after that it would be fine. Trying to figure out what might cause that, I recalled that I had gone into the color settings and made just adjustments. On a whim, I went back into the OSM and selected Factory Reset and just like that, problem solved.

With that out of the way, my 2005 has been absolutely wonderful. Only one very slight stuck pixel and not much backlight bleed at all. It's a keeper so far.

Hi All... I thought this Dell 2005FPW would be the monitor of my dreams -- I mainly wanted one for watching DVDs and also for over-the-air HDTV. However, after my initial euphoria during the day when I was watching Lord of the Rings (looked great), I was watching a dark show at night (Alias, with many nighttime scenes) I noticed that there was huge backlighting coming from all four corners. I just measured -- from each corner, 4" to 5". It looks like I'm viewing the night scenes through a small diamond, and it's so washed out in the corners that it's incredibly distracting.

I just checked my rev: Feb 05, A01. I tried resetting the display to factory settings, and no change at all. I've never dealt with Dell before, and except for trying to fix this situation, never will -- it is hard to believe they sell something this bad. Any advice about how to get this fixed and or get something else? I don't know if the Apple Cinema display is any better, but even with my University discounts, it would still be $880 after tax compared to the $530 I paid for this.

Thanks for any helpful advice and/or commiserating...

--Ben

Well, since you bought from dell atleast you can exchange until you are satisfied. I've never bought from them before but plan on buying a 2005FPW from them very soon. If I'm not satisfied I will exchange and do so until I'm satisfied or demand a full refund and make it known they offer nothing but inferior products if they keep giving me garbage. I will make it known they offer inferior products on every BBS I know if they continually offer me defective merchandise. I just hope my first 2005FPW is perfect. If not I'll exchange until it is or ask for a refund,

I think it fixes itself after you have the monitor on for awhile, that or you get used to it. I dont even see it anymore. BUt I remember it being worse when I FIRST got the monitor.

Just request a replacement at [email protected]. Emailing them is a much better way of contacting them, as you don't have to go through switching through different departments and numerous hangups. They answer very promptly, give them an email tonight, you'll have an answer tomorrow morning.

While many people aren't satisfied with Dell, you have to admit that their replacement process is quite a lot better than the likes of other retailers. They will ship the replacement to you overnight, but they need a signature. They will also schedule to pickup the bad one, for free.

My backlighting has receded by quite a bit from when I first got it, but a pixel got stuck, are there any remedies for stuck pixels?

For those of you looking to buy:

Dell Home has the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand for $749 - 25% off Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW Flat Panels code ZLXBLQZZPZLXM$ [Exp 3/31] - $60 off $500 code NH0LZH?150MPVS [Exp 3/26, 5:59am, 2000 uses] = $502 shipped

from bensbargains

I set mine up last Monday, so it's been on perhaps 48 hours as of last night. You know that effect in movies where somebody's flashback is shown as a circular image kind of fogged all around? That's what the dark scenes in the Alias looked like, and even dim scenes. I'd estimate that 64 square inches are moderately or worse affected, and perhaps 40 square inches pretty bad. That's out of about 188 or so.

Daylight images -- no problem. But I got this primarily for DVD and HDTV so it is very unsatisfactory. I'm not sure from what I've read here if it's even worth bothering to get a replacement. Is the 30-days the limit for a refund even if I've gotten a replacement or two?

I really wish Samsung or Toshiba had come out with one of these. I've no doubt they will be very common in the next couple of years, but I just didn't want to wait (plus my LG CRT was going out).

Thanks again for your comments!

--Ben

Too Artificial said:
For those of you looking to buy:

Dell Home has the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand for $749 - 25% off Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW Flat Panels code ZLXBLQZZPZLXM$ [Exp 3/31] - $60 off $500 code NH0LZH?150MPVS [Exp 3/26, 5:59am, 2000 uses] = $502 shipped

from bensbargains

it says that 2nd code has already been redeemed.
:(

there's been 3 requests i've seen in past 3 pages for possible fixes..here are the things to try:

backlighting issue- put a cloth over your fingers and gently push in and away from the problem area. make sure you read up on the backlighting issue thoroughly as well..it's a known fact that what is often referred to as an issue is really a viewing angle issue..try to addjust your screen somewhat and see if it the area stays the same or changes.

dead pixel- 2 things i've read to try..massage the pixel in question (again, with cloth over fingertips..like a small piece over on finger..

tape the screen where the dead pixel is. while no guarantee it will fix, some say it can activate what are basically "stuck"pixels.

tenax said:
tape the screen where the dead pixel is. while no guarantee it will fix, some say it can activate what are basically "stuck"pixels.

What kind of tape should you use so that it doesn't leave a place on the LCD when you take it off? Has anyone tried this with success?

I have a couple stuck blue pixels that are hard to see unless your looking for them on a solid black background but i wish they weren't there.

OK lets try this again...posted in the wrong thread last time. :p :eek:

Hi guys. Got my 2005FPW on the 21st. (Shipped the 16th so not much time left.) Bad backlight bleed. Called up tech support and spent about an hour trying to explain to this person what backlight bleed is and that no its not my Alienware system that is the freaking problem. No compairing the CRT to see if there is backlight issues as well is not the problem. Grrrr.

Finally got her to send me a replacement that I got on the 25th. The replacement is worse then the original in that its backlight is worse and its got 7 stuck pixels. I was going to send it back but the e-mail they sent me said to affix the airbill and send it back. Well there was no airbill with the packing. I've sent three replies to the e-mail that was sent to me for instructions and not one has been responded to. I called them up again and got some Indian woman who was slightly more comprehensible then white noise.

I resorted to using a corp account with the company I work for to get an actual person who speaks English and they are supposedly sending someone out tomorrow to pick up the package. All I can say is I'm about 2 days away from saying screw this **** and simply returning the screen and try it again when the next deal comes around. In my life I've never seen such crappy customer service.
That being said I have a few more days before the 20 day return policy expires and I want to try one more time to get a replacement. I've been reading the best method is to contact Dell via e-mail. How do I do this? Dell's site is a damn maze. How the heck do I contact Dell? I'm sorry is that is a newbie question but I keep going in an infinite loop on support.dell.com I can't find a freaking e-mail address. I consider myself fairly intelligent but at this point I feel like a 2 year old trying to program in Cobol . Its embarrassing as heck being brought down by a freaking website. ARRRGGGH!
So any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

jonnormand said:
OK lets try this again...posted in the wrong thread last time. :p :eek:

Hi guys. Got my 2005FPW on the 21st. (Shipped the 16th so not much time left.) Bad backlight bleed. Called up tech support and spent about an hour trying to explain to this person what backlight bleed is and that no its not my Alienware system that is the freaking problem. No compairing the CRT to see if there is backlight issues as well is not the problem. Grrrr.

Finally got her to send me a replacement that I got on the 25th. The replacement is worse then the original in that its backlight is worse and its got 7 stuck pixels. I was going to send it back but the e-mail they sent me said to affix the airbill and send it back. Well there was no airbill with the packing. I've sent three replies to the e-mail that was sent to me for instructions and not one has been responded to. I called them up again and got some Indian woman who was slightly more comprehensible then white noise.

I resorted to using a corp account with the company I work for to get an actual person who speaks English and they are supposedly sending someone out tomorrow to pick up the package. All I can say is I'm about 2 days away from saying screw this **** and simply returning the screen and try it again when the next deal comes around. In my life I've never seen such crappy customer service.
That being said I have a few more days before the 20 day return policy expires and I want to try one more time to get a replacement. I've been reading the best method is to contact Dell via e-mail. How do I do this? Dell's site is a damn maze. How the heck do I contact Dell? I'm sorry is that is a newbie question but I keep going in an infinite loop on support.dell.com I can't find a freaking e-mail address. I consider myself fairly intelligent but at this point I feel like a 2 year old trying to program in Cobol . Its embarrassing as heck being brought down by a freaking website. ARRRGGGH!
So any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

All you had to do was e-mail Dell at [email protected] and tell them what you need. Tell them you have severe backlight leakage with dead pixels and need a replacement. Tell them you need a pickup as well.

I reveieved my 2005fpw today. I have worse backlight issues than most of the pictures posted.

I've been on the phone with Dell. I keep geting "transfered" and then disconected.
I finally got a hold of customer care and was told they needed to confrim that it is a defective product. I was beging transfred to a tech to confirm, but was once again taken back to the beginning phone tree.

I'm plain angry.

Call tech first, then customer care. You need a case number from tech first.

RustyM said:
I reveieved my 2005fpw today. I have worse backlight issues than most of the pictures posted.

I've been on the phone with Dell. I keep geting "transfered" and then disconected.
I finally got a hold of customer care and was told they needed to confrim that it is a defective product. I was beging transfred to a tech to confirm, but was once again taken back to the beginning phone tree.

I'm plain angry.

How does a tech confirm it? They're just going to ask you to rub the screen to fix the dead pixel, as they'll think that's what you're talking about. Plus then make you reinstall the drivers probably, disconnect and reconnect the monitor, try both VGA and DVI, a different outlet and so on. Just e-mail customer service saying you want a replacement. If your in the 21 days you can do so for almost any reason.

When you first e-mail them. Describe the problem, that your within the 21 days and would like a new screen. Include as much info as possible, account number, order number, phone number, shipped address, billing address, name, monitor serial number, (service tag if you bought a whole computer with it) and so on. The reply should simply say they will be sending you a new monitor and to ship the bad one back in the box the new one came in with the return label.

burningrave101 said:
I must be missing it but where is the option to adjust brightness and contrast? I didn't see it under the Main Menu.
It took me a while to figure it out. Don't going into the main menu, instead, when OSD is not showing press "-" (the third button from the right) and the brightness/contrast menu will come up. Contrast in grayed out when hooked up with DVI though.

Got my 2005FPW only to be disappointed up to this point. At the time of writing this I've had the monitor approx. 4 1/2 hours. Yes I have the backlight bleeding and three dead pixels that are barely visible. These are the least of my worries. It wasn't until I started HL2 up that my jaw hit the floor. Blurry, blurry, blurry :( . I'm using DVI and cannot understand why it blurs to such an extent with a 12ms and after all I have read. Standing still is fine but moving of the slightest, the background blurs. The manual says to use the auto adjust feature in the menu to correct such an issue. Ok I will try that... Everything in the Image Settings is greyed out except Scaling!? Is there something i'm doing wrong??? How do I activate these features? This blur not only occurs in games but when moving windows. Even slowly moving the windows creates the blur. I'm desperately seeking help from anyone that has the knowledge to help me correct this matter. I'm only 17 and spending $600 shipped to me is an incredibly HUGE deal. Thanks.

I received my 2005fpw yesterday and had time to set it up and test it out today. It is a RevA01 from Mexico February 2005. I scored well on my first try from Dell as the Dead Pixel Buddy program shows no dead or stuck pixels. I have checked three different times to be absolutely sure. (Since the brightness seems to throw my eyes off with those bright colors). As for the backlighting I will post a picture when I get a chance but I would say I have very minor backlight in one corner.

Now for some disappointing news. As KFC Colonel Sanders stated I am also noticing blur in UT2004 and Half Life 2. The colors seem a little off as well but that could be just me being used to my other monitor. Will be running a side by side comparison to see what the true difference is. (regular web pages and windows seem fine though) Did everybody have to tweak the colors a little?

Back