Dell S2740L Black 27" IPS-Panel - $289.99 NewEgg No MIR

FXDawg

Gawd
I got 3 of these over the holidays. Really nice, sleek, slim and light. Glass to the edge, gotta be careful with them.

No MIR, Free 3-day shipping

Dell S2740L 27"

Lol so tempted to get an extra monitor with March Madness coming up.

As a sidebar to this thread, why has Newegg gotten so much flack? I've used them before and have had wonderful experiences.

As a sidebar to this thread, why has Newegg gotten so much flack? I've used them before and have had wonderful experiences.

Well, I've heard that NewEgg pulled a not so upstanding move on the Hardforum in regard to commissions on links from this site. I don't know anything more than second hand accounts. I do know that the Powers that be here at hardforum felt strongly enough about it to try and urge us to buy elsewhere if at all practical...

Nice! Still, it will be sad to say goodbye to my 1920x1200.

Last edited:

Just a snaggle with how they handle commissions. A PR blunder at best. Their overall quality as a vendor hasn't really changed munch in the last year or two (though a far cry from their glory days of several years ago).

Just a snaggle with how they handle commissions. A PR blunder at best. Their overall quality as a vendor hasn't really changed munch in the last year or two (though a far cry from their glory days of several years ago).

More simply put...Newegg is whoring more of the profits while continuing to use tech sites as free advertising (e.g cutting their commissions). While it may work short term for profits...long term it will hurt them.

More simply put...Newegg is whoring more of the profits while continuing to use tech sites as free advertising (e.g cutting their commissions). While it may work short term for profits...long term it will hurt them.

They changed their commission strategy to favor partners like SlickDeals who feature their advertised stuff on the front page. At least they still offer a commission program (which [H] has apparently decided not to participate in at all anymore), unlike many of the other retailers who are featured on this forum. I'm honestly not sure why anyone but [H] staff is blowing a gasket over this.

Nice! Still, it will be sad to say goodbye to my 1920x1200.

Yea, I had a little troouble getting past that but, I'm very happy with the new monitors. They look great, take up less space than my old HannsG monitors. I haven't really notices any downside except the stands sit so low. I need to do something about that...

Ever since their IPO a lot of people have felt like their customer service and prices have gotten worse.

I personally have had a horrible customer service experience (culminated in newegg CS saying they would not do what they said numerous times that they would do and then hanging up on me).

If you have amazon prime you get faster shipping. I've never had anything but great experiences with amazon when doing returns. Plus, you support this forum by using the commission link and buying from amazon.

I've had a pretty bad experience with returns with Newegg when they were trying to blame me for a defective product. I had to get my money back through Paypal of all things...

Ever since their IPO a lot of people have felt like their customer service and prices have gotten worse.

I personally have had a horrible customer service experience (culminated in newegg CS saying they would not do what they said numerous times that they would do and then hanging up on me).

If you have amazon prime you get faster shipping. I've never had anything but great experiences with amazon when doing returns. Plus, you support this forum by using the commission link and buying from amazon.

Stopped buying from Newegg about 4 years ago. Their service has slowly gone downhill while Amazons has continually went above and beyond.

With that said, these are great monitors if you don't mind the resolution snobs that will lambaste you for buying a 27" 1080p monitor.

Free next day shipping is more than enough for me to go through Amazon. Also obligatory 1080p comment on this monitor.

Last edited:
Thanks... Figured as much due to the price but wanted to be sure.

I am really on the fence. I have a couple of Dells 30 inch monitors but in order to get decent frame rates I need to run either crossfire or SLI which is very expensive. I was thinking about grabbing this one strictly for gaming but when I played on BF3 on my old Samsung 245bw 1920x1200 I could not take the resolution for more than 30 minutes.

I am really on the fence. I have a couple of Dells 30 inch monitors but in order to get decent frame rates I need to run either crossfire or SLI which is very expensive. I was thinking about grabbing this one strictly for gaming but when I played on BF3 on my old Samsung 245bw 1920x1200 I could not take the resolution for more than 30 minutes.

You have been poisoned. I warned a buddy of mine when he bought his 30" that he would be chasing frames with money for the foreseeable future and he is in the same dilemma. He has been playing for about a week on a 1080 and hates it.

You have been poisoned. I warned a buddy of mine when he bought his 30" that he would be chasing frames with money for the foreseeable future and he is in the same dilemma. He has been playing for about a week on a 1080 and hates it.

I can still play 1920x1200 natively on a 30 inch monitor but it does feel so so.:rolleyes:

They changed their commission strategy to favor partners like SlickDeals who feature their advertised stuff on the front page. At least they still offer a commission program (which [H] has apparently decided not to participate in at all anymore), unlike many of the other retailers who are featured on this forum. I'm honestly not sure why anyone but [H] staff is blowing a gasket over this.

So are you purposely ignoring the post stating that NewEgg stopped paying commission to the [H] because the vast majority of clicks from here were repeat customers? That they did this right before thanksgiving without telling the [H]? That they have cut commission like this a couple times without telling them?

But hey, I guess its easier to talk out of your butt then to actually know why something happened right?

So are you purposely ignoring the post stating that NewEgg stopped paying commission to the [H] because the vast majority of clicks from here were repeat customers? That they did this right before thanksgiving without telling the [H]? That they have cut commission like this a couple times without telling them?

I only know about the wider changes in their affiliate strategy because I am involved with another website that was also affected. Newegg didn't reach out to individual participants in its affiliate program, they just silently updated their terms (as their affiliate agreement allows them to) and then dealt with complaints individually when people realized they weren't paid what they were expecting based on previous months. Some sort of form email to all affiliates ahead of time notifying them of the changes would have been a better choice. A PR blunder at best.

At least [H] has plenty of other ways of driving revenue (advertisements, user donations for GM, and other affiliate programs) and is supported by a (presumably) profitable hardware review business. A lot of smaller sites that relied almost exclusively on Newegg affiliate commission are hit so much harder by this.

EDIT: Nice, I just tipped over to [H]ardness Supreme.

Wow they jumped up to $400 each and they are still on sale till 3/11?

Would it be worth it to go with one of these over a 1600x1200 20" Dell Ultrasharp?

Wow they jumped up to $400 each and they are still on sale till 3/11?

Would it be worth it to go with one of these over a 1600x1200 20" Dell Ultrasharp?

personally i wouldnt want a 1080 monitor about 23"

Not really understanding the 1080p hate on 27" or the 1366x768 hate on laptops. I have both and am very happy. I'm also 20/20.

Not really understanding the 1080p hate on 27" or the 1366x768 hate on laptops. I have both and am very happy. I'm also 20/20.

I think it's a productivity thing mostly. I use 2560x1440 on a 27" every day and I'd never go back. The extra screen real estate make such a difference for development. If I were gaming or watching movies it would be different, but for getting work done, give me 2560x1440 every time.

I think it's a productivity thing mostly. I use 2560x1440 on a 27" every day and I'd never go back. The extra screen real estate make such a difference for development. If I were gaming or watching movies it would be different, but for getting work done, give me 2560x1440 every time.

i game @ 1440p and i can tell you its unbeatable.

i wouldnt have a 1080p 40inch either 1200p and above if you ask me

that resolution at that screen size looks terrible. ( 1080p on 24 and above )

i game @ 1440p and i can tell you its unbeatable.

i wouldnt have a 1080p 40inch either 1200p and above if you ask me

that resolution at that screen size looks terrible. ( 1080p on 24 and above )

depends on distance from the screen too

my 27" 1440P display is amazing, but if its more than 2 feet away........I cant see shit, and I have 20/10 and 20/15 eyesight....

I cant mount another 1440p over my existing shimian because I just cant make use of it, but a 27" 1080p would work find for browsing or video ETC

I'm not really understanding how you are not understanding.

1080p is a 21.5 inch or less resolution.
1366x768 is pretty much a cellphone resolution.

The difference is similar to watching DVD's on a 60" plasma vs Bluray/HD on a 60" plasma....although much less significant.

I'm not really understanding how you are not understanding.

1080p is a 21.5 inch or less resolution.
1366x768 is pretty much a cellphone resolution.

The difference is similar to watching DVD's on a 60" plasma vs Bluray/HD on a 60" plasma....although much less significant.

It's more people announcing to the world that it is unacceptable and should not be purchased. Versus stating a personal opinion.

Back