Dell SP2309PW 23" 2048x1152 monitor $209 shipped

Looks interesting, but it's not a good candidate for 3-monitor gaming because of the weirdly high res.

This is tempting. I don't game much, but coding with a second monitor would be nice.
I'm curious what that resolution looks like on a 23.

this one is the same res and was $180 a couple weeks ago. idk if this one is much better quality or what, but maybe not so hot. like someone said, not good for eyefinity because of the high res, but nice if you like high resolution and dont have a ton of desk space.

There are three monitors with 2048x1152 Acer B233HU bmidhz, Samsung 2343BWX, and this Dell SP2309

I've been using the Acer for 2 weeks or so now and I love it.

Can't believe I actually am enjoying a TN panel, but since I sit right in front of it, it works well.

Draws less than 20 watts since I use it on the lowest brightness, which is impressive.

ps. why is the deal being linked through a 3rd party site? For commission? Why not dell directly?

pps. Someone else is using 3 of these for gaming - it's in a thread around here somewhere...

Last edited:
ps. why is the deal being linked through a 3rd party site? For commission? Why not dell directly?;)

Because that's where I found it and it's alot easier to find the coupon and product in one place rather than copying coupon then searching dell.

Most games can support any resolution, since it's D3D, not the game itself, that matters. Also, it says it 'supports' 1080p, but since it's not the native res, it's not clear what the screen quality would be compared with native 1080p. Wasn't mentioned in the review.

I've got the Samsung version at the res and it's amazing I love it. The dot pitch makes for great viewing and things are very clear & sharp.

it's a 16:9 resolution so 16:9 games should look just fine on it. 1080p would either be scaled to fit or black bars on all sides

In terms of vertical resolution, its only 48 pixels short of 1200 (1920x1200 and 1600x1200). The whole point of this monitor is to not have black bars when watching a movie or tv show.

you would have black bars on the sides if you preserve the aspect ratio on most content.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

you would have black bars on the sides if you preserve the aspect ratio on most content.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It's a 16:9 aspect ratio. You are wrong unless by "most content" you mean standard-def television and computer games that only support 16:10 widescreen modes.

I bit. This should be a great monitor for multitasking.

Considering the eIPS version is about $30 more, not really worth it IMO.

It's a 16:9 aspect ratio. You are wrong unless by "most content" you mean standard-def television and computer games that only support 16:10 widescreen modes.

He is right for most movies. I was somewhat surprised by this when I got a 16:9 monitor and the first movie I played still had black bars.

"The most common aspect ratios used today in the presentation of films in movie theaters are 1.85:1 and 2.39:1" source

He is right for most movies. I was somewhat surprised by this when I got a 16:9 monitor and the first movie I played still had black bars.

"The most common aspect ratios used today in the presentation of films in movie theaters are 1.85:1 and 2.39:1" source

True, which is why I didn't include movies in my definition. ;-) I don't really look to that though because there aren't many (any?) options for 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 screens. No matter what screen type you choose for playing movies there is going to be a significant amount of content that has black bars somewhere.

This arrived for me today and so far so good. The screen itself is an upgrade from HannsG 21" I was using. This resolution is nuts. I've been using Visual Works lately and it opens tons of small windows that I actually have room for now.

<3 my 2343bwx. 2048x1152 is an odd resolution indeed, but on the panel size, it's perfect. been long contemplating picking up a second if/when they go on sale at microcenter (the original purchase was there).

In terms of vertical resolution, its only 48 pixels short of 1200 (1920x1200 and 1600x1200). The whole point of this monitor is to not have black bars when watching a movie or tv show.

Well heck then I'm gonna get this and make it my big screen TV in my media room!

This whole 16:9 format is completely absurd for computing. It's great for movies and TV but vertical real estate is pretty important for nearly every aspect of using a computer. I'm sure it is a cost thing but I'm one of the rare few who doesn't mind paying a little or even a lot more for something better...

Just happened to be in the market for a cheap mid-size LCD so I'm in for one.

This arrived for me today and so far so good. The screen itself is an upgrade from HannsG 21" I was using. This resolution is nuts. I've been using Visual Works lately and it opens tons of small windows that I actually have room for now.

I got mine about a week ago. I was using a 20" hp that had a great picture so when I got this it wasn't a big improvement.. That is until I started gaming. At this res and screen size the picture looks great. It really brought my gaming to life.

I run two of the Samsung version (2343BWX) and they are awesome.

Don't knock it till you have used it....overall it is a highly underrated resolution IMO. It works great for so many programs like photoshop, movie editors, etc. Throw your tools on the sides and it is excellent.

The color is not too bad on my Sammys either. Some backlight bleed is the only issue.

Back