Dell to Introduce New HDCP-enabled 22-inch LCD

Cliff Couser

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5354

pricy compared to the Samsung 22"

If its 8-bit and S-IPS....oh well...we can dream anyways. :D

----------------------------

Dell has a new 22" display with a fast 5ms grey-to-grey response time

According to reports, Dell is poised to release a new 22-inch wide-aspect LCD flat-panel. The new E228WFP has already shown up in Japan. The screen has a 1680x1050 resolution, which is typical for a screen around this size, although many recent ones are showing up to be capable of displaying images at 1920x1200.

As with recent displays, Dell is definitely showing off the speed of the new E228WFP, claiming a 5ms grey-to-grey response time. DailyTech reported yesterday that BenQ announced a new line of gaming-oriented LCD panels with a grey-to-grey refresh time of 2ms, which BenQ said is the fastest in the industry.

From our own experience, LCD manufacturers have had issues maintaining color consistency and contrast while pushing LCD speeds -- assuming they tell the truth at all. Dell's 5ms grey-to-grey is in line with the manufacturer specifications of Samsung and LG.Philips LCD panels right now, and the company has a better track record of reporting VESA-standard specifications.

Other specifications of the E228WFP include:

* Brightness: 300cd/m2
* Contrast: 800:1
* Viewing angle: 160-degrees
* Price: approximately $560 USD

The new display also includes support for HDCP high definition content protection, which will make users looking forward to upgrading to Windows Vista, pleased.

----------------------------

$560 for 22" ? good luck with that.
Why would anyone bother with this when for around $100 more you can get the 2407. (it's $679 right now btw...).
Unless this is IPS....in which case it could be interesting.

I agree...how are they going to justify having a much higher MSRP than all the other 22" panels? The 5ms response time doesn't mean diddly squat to me..

No way in the world a 5ms panel is going to be IPS

I see it follows the same naming format as Dells other new TN panel

$560 ??/ Wtf are they smoking ?

Even with 15% off coupons, this is still a horrible deal. I wish Dell would get its act together and fix what they have instead of introducing these low-end monitors.

That $560 in Australian dollars.

They are currently on sale for $299 at dell.ca. Regular pirce $399.

I just called Dell and the sales rep told me if I ordered now I will be getting it for $329 CD with zero shipping.

The funny part was that I wanted to know what their return policy is on dead pixels and when I asked him, he replied back asking me "what is a dead pixel sir?" I am like, are you for real:eek: :confused: OK so I thanked him and hanged up.

But I would like to know from people who are using this screen, how does it perform?

I just got this monitor about 3 days ago and i'm very happy with it. THe ONLY thing i can complain about is the backjlight bleeding, but from the sounds of it, there is not much i can do and it's very common. There is about 1/2" strip on the bottom and top for about 6"...but it's perfectly symmetrical, so i don't notice it unless watching DVDs....

I couldn't ask for a better 22" LCD for $299CDN shipped!

Back