Dell U2311H

went from some 24"s to a 30" back to a 20" and thinking of trying out the 2311. the price is tempting

Definitely, a good monitor for $240 which is the lowest price it regularly hits on sale for it except a dell ebay sale once for $200. I'd recommend it for $240.

HELP

An user tell to me thet the Dell U series specially U2311H have an excessive anti glare treatment in the pannel and this cause imperfections and grainy in some pictures or text and will most likely cause eyestrain. !!!!

is true ?

Last edited:
HELP

An user tell to me thet the Dell U series specially U2311H have an excessive anti glare treatment in the pannel and this cause imperfections and grainy in some pictures or text and will most likely cause eyestrain. !!!!

is true ?

To be honest, I've had 5 different ultrasharp monitors and I don't even understand the complaint about AG coating. It has not bothered me one bit. I'm probably more of a noob than other people but I see the complaint everyday but don't understand it. I'm not saying it is not there but just my experience. I don't have this problem at all

I think it is a matter of taste. It is the same way with TV's. Some love the samsung tvs which are quite glossy and reflections are a PIA with them; but otherwise have fairly rich colours. Some prefer toshiba which have a mild anti-glare coat. It is a trade off with no right answer; just preferences. I had a samsung tv for a year; would I buy another? Probably not if the room layout was the same as the previous room. My friends have a samsung tv but their room has a better layout. My monitors are dell (2209wa and an older 19inch which I hope to replace with this one) and i have no real complaints; though I find the 2209wa a bit blue for my taste; but some of that has to do with windows.
-
Does the anti glare coating impact text; I guess but it doesn't bother me. At work I have a dell 24inch; 2408wfp which I believe is IPS and absolutely no complaints (not sure how its AG coating compare to current models) (this screen is used 99% of the time with text).
-
So for a few weeks i cannot comment personally on the u2311 but I think a little bit of 2nd hand information can go a long way to large bold text of the nature HELP.

HELP

is true ?

This is actually a legitimate concern. I have two U2311H and I absolutely can't stand the anti glare coating. The whites are way too grainy!

The whites are fine for me and the AG is just about perfect.

BTW I finally got this monitor set up next to my E228WFP and I (unfortunately) cannot stand the color of my E228WFP now. I feel like I should buy a calibrator but that money would be better put towards another U2311H :D

Does the U2211h have the same AG coating as the U2311h? I see a lot of complaints about the U2311h but I have the U2211h and I am not sure if mine is supposed to be the same on that front or not.

what do u mean when tell me Grainy or Sparkle effect ? :confused:
can are you most precise please ?

i thinked that AG means anti glare = 0 ligh effects = no sparkle or another :confused:

what do u mean when tell me Grainy or Sparkle effect ? :confused:
can are you most precise please ?

i thinked that AG means anti glare = 0 ligh effects = no sparkle or another :confused:

Grainy and sparkly effect just means it looks like there is a thin film of 'dirt' (easiest way to describe it) over whites. Basically, if you can really notice it, you'll see that the whites look kind of 'dirty'. A side effect of the AG being too thick.

Grainy and sparkly effect just means it looks like there is a thin film of 'dirt' (easiest way to describe it) over whites. Basically, if you can really notice it, you'll see that the whites look kind of 'dirty'. A side effect of the AG being too thick.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
and this is an effect into both revision of u2311 ?
A1 and A2 revision ?

Hi,
The deal is until march, 17 . I couldn't order one today, it gives me an error when trying to redeem the coupon. Any idea why?

Thank you

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
and this is an effect into both revision of u2311 ?
A1 and A2 revision ?

Don't be shocked, it's really not that bad AT ALL in the U23. You'd have to be extremely picky and sit with your face in the screen to notice it.

Seriously, this forum is full of people who over exaggerate the problem and/or sit too close to their screens.

I'm thinking about getting three of these and putting them in an Eyefinity setup but my only concern is the size of my desk. Do you think it'll matter if the side monitors are kind of hanging over the edges of my desk?

You get used to the coating. As for input lag, look up comparisons with a CRT to see how bad each monitor is. THe U2311 isn't meant for gaming, but it isn't so bad you can't use it for gaming.

I still prefer my 50" Panny G25 :-p

Finally pulled the trigger.

I've been eyeing this monitor for months now and missed out on the $200 deal. Been pissed ever since as I was one click away form ordering. Figured I might as well jump on the $240 deal as i wasn't losing out again!

Thanks for the shared coupon! Can't wait to get this bad boy!

Got rev A02 (made december 2010). Maybe someone would share settings for this revision?

How do you know if you have the A02 or 01 or whatever else? Listed somewhere on the monitor or the packaging? I did a quick look but didn't see it -- but I probably just missed it.

Actually, they said the expected ship-date is April 6th. Could this mean that we would be getting a new revision? Or is this kind of shipping date standard with DELL?

How does this compare in size to a 19 inch 1600x1200 CRT? My SGI 19 inch finally died and I looking to get a lcd and this being on sale for $229 caught my eye.

Just got mine today. Rev A01. Looks pretty spiffy so far, I've never really used an IPS panel at length before, but the color reproduction looks very nice. Probably need to calibrate it using some of the recommended settings on here, but initial reaction is good.

EDIT: No dead pixels that I can see, and the backlight seems pretty uniform from what I can tell. I can see the AG coating "glimmer" over whites that people are talking about, but frankly it's not that big of a deal to me. The colors and contrast are amazing compared to any TN that I've used. Definitely enjoying that.

Last edited:
How does this compare in size to a 19 inch 1600x1200 CRT? My SGI 19 inch finally died and I looking to get a lcd and this being on sale for $229 caught my eye.

11080 PPI² for the 19" @ 1600x1200

9174 PPI² for the 23" @ 1920x1080

So more pixel real estate overall on the 19", but 4:3 aspect ratio is kind of lame nowadays.

Looks like I spoke too soon. After only two days of using the monitor it began power cycling on and off, becoming more and more rapid until it wouldn't turn on at all until I unplugged it and waited for a few. I'm on Dell's website for returns, but I only see the option to return. I want a replacement. Will they do that or am I in the wrong area?

yes.... I'm beginning to really love this monitor after some 6 months, lol. I just found out I can customize the quick menu to include the input source select, which means a lot to me, and I can adjust soooo much in the menu :)

And they are so much cooler running than my old HP W2408H, which would get toasty hot above the monitor!! This one is still cool, with barely any trace of warmth anywhere on or around the monitor :D

Anyhow, as for the service tag, if it isn't on the back or the box, I don't know where it would be... (other than the Dell website, if you ordered it from there).

If it is like the 2209wa; there is a panel on the side that slides out. the one I ordered arrived last night so I'll set it up this weekend and comment (I hope it is not faulty). On the older dells there is a label on the back. Btw when I ordered it gave a two week shipping date; but then they shipped it the next day.

How do you find the service tag on the monitor??? I can't find it.... :[

Received my monitor today! I wasn't even expecting it but it was a nice surprise. No dead pixels or any other problems yet. Eh.. It feels a *little* small but I think I can be happy with it. Probably because I am coming from using 2410's, 2407wfp, and u3011 all with 16:10. Still, for the price, I am happy!

The revision label for me is on the back; it is a rev01 man feb 2011. No obvious dead or stuck pixel; bit a bleed all around but not horrible enough to bother returning.

The screen feels small and long (first 16:9 monitor I've had. I think I prefer 16:10 or 4:3).

yeah, I have wanted an U2410h, however, all the other montiors are "-11," so I'm merely waiting it out, for now :p

The revision label for me is on the back; it is a rev01 man feb 2011. No obvious dead or stuck pixel; bit a bleed all around but not horrible enough to bother returning.

The screen feels small and long (first 16:9 monitor I've had. I think I prefer 16:10 or 4:3).

same here on all counts. 16:10 is definitely a big difference. I don't really like the narrow long kind of look as well so I kind of have the monitor higher than normal (kind of a trick lol). I'll have to live with it though. I don't want to spend nearly double the price for the 24"

How do you find the service tag on the monitor??? I can't find it.... :[

There is no service tag on the U2311H as it turns out. You can just provide the order number to the CSR.

I called them today and got kicked around to 3 different people who all asked for the same info before getting someone helpful, so that was slightly annoying, but overall I'm pleased with the call because they are sending me out a new monitor, no questions asked, and all I have to do is put the broken one in the new one's box and ship it back (for free as well). If everything works out then I'll be happy with Dell support.

There is no service tag on the U2311H as it turns out. You can just provide the order number to the CSR.

I called them today and got kicked around to 3 different people who all asked for the same info before getting someone helpful, so that was slightly annoying, but overall I'm pleased with the call because they are sending me out a new monitor, no questions asked, and all I have to do is put the broken one in the new one's box and ship it back (for free as well). If everything works out then I'll be happy with Dell support.

dell support is simply the best in my experience.. I would never hesitate to order from them! CS is always so nice to me

there'r a way to fix the low sharpness of dell caused by AG coating ?

IS the Dell u2311h not suitable for text reading ?

Back