Dell U2311H

Just got my U2311H. I'm not sure what everyone was talking about with regards to AG coating. This is vastly superior to the AG coating on my old 2408. Maybe the 2408 was just extremely bad.

Some people hate any and all AG coating with no reguard as to what kind. I find the U2311H to be one of the best nonlaptop implementations, despite the fact it's one of the cheapest 1080p IPS panels out there o.0

I can't believe I missed out on this deal

Everything I've read makes the 2311 a phenomenal monitor. Hopefully they come back with their 25% off soon.

They seem to run this sale at least once a quarter (gotta make their numbers) and frequently more often so if you want the monitor just wait a bit for the next sale. I'm not unahppy with the monitor but I think this will be my last 16:9 monitor; I just prefer a bit more boxy view. Other than that I'm happy and it was relative inexpensive. Seems fairly uniform; no obvious tinting or dead pixels; only real complaints was that out of the box it was a bit cold and bright; fixed via selecting warm and turning brightness down to 15-20; I also raise contrast to 95. I did try the custom settings someone posted 2 pages back before deciding that the stock 'warm' setting was more to my taste.

Update: Just got my replacement U2311H today. That was fast shipping! I think I called them on Thursday or Friday and it got here today (Monday). Hopefully this one lasts longer than a few days, but I guess only time will tell. No dead pixels on this one, a little backlight bleeding near the bottom right corner (but the other one had a bit of that too), and a small bit on the lower left corner. Nothing worth sending it back, though.

EDIT: As I start using it more, I'm noticing sort of a yellowish tint in the bottom left corner. It's not really like backlight bleed, but it does seem to distort the color in that region. Is this something that will go away over time or do I need to return the fucking thing again?

Last edited:
Looking for expert advice on monitor choice. May buy new Dell PC with ATI Radeon 5450 HD. Currently using 7 year-old Dell E173FP TN/CCFL panel with decent text size and AG coating which is not too "aggressive" for me. Will use new PC for web browsing, ms-office, adobe pdf reading, viewing web video and DVD (also Blu-ray?), real-time stock trading apps, MP3 editing. (No Gaming.)

Monitor requirements:
  • Clear, easy-to-read text for 8-hour days viewing pdf's and ms-office work
  • Decent response times, contrast, OSD (best-in-class unnecessary)
  • Tilt (height, swivel, pivot are nice-to-haves)
  • Solid base with little/no wobble (dislike store models with plastic wobbly bases)
  • Matte black bezel (dislike glossy but it's acceptable if other criteria are met)
  • Little or no gingerbread on monitor bezel and base (the simpler, the better)
  • Max price $300

Monitor concerns:
  • Hard-to-read text on U2311H and P2411H with "aggressive" AG coating?
  • U2311H "flickering" when quickly scrolling web pages or pdf docs?
  • Uneven color/tinting on U2311H (seen on solid single-color screen?)
  • IPS/CCFL vs. TN/LED (which is better for my purposes?)
  • LG manufactures U2311H panel but who manufactures P2411H panel?
  • Samsung BX2450 "touch" OSD too difficult to use?
  • Ignored Samsung PX2370 and LG E2360 because of cheap-o wobbly bases.
  • Are there other 23"/24" monitors matching my criteria I should consider?

I forgot to mention I'm also concerned about the U2311H's "backlight bleeding" that people have mentioned. How many different problems does the U2311H really have? Flickering, backlight bleeding, tinting, overly aggressive AG coating, etc. Should I forget IPS and go with tried-and-true TN?

I'm very picky about backlight bleeding as I use the monitor a lot at night. With the default intensity there is some bleeding but it is also too bright for me. At my usage brightness it is a non-issue. My monitor was revision 01 Feb 2011 (I received it a week ago) and I have absolutely no complaints other than 16:9 not being my favorite form factor. No obvious tinting; no obvious dead pixels; good enough colours. I think the blacks are a little better than on the 2209WA that sits next to it.

I forgot to mention I'm also concerned about the U2311H's "backlight bleeding" that people have mentioned. How many different problems does the U2311H really have? Flickering, backlight bleeding, tinting, overly aggressive AG coating, etc. Should I forget IPS and go with tried-and-true TN?

Dell is sending me a 3rd replacement monitor this week sometime. Here's a picture of the current monitor's issue:

DSC00681.jpg

Picture was taken in a pretty brightly-lit room against a black background. Even then you can see the obvious yellow tinting in the bottom left corner and a little bit of blue bleeding through at the lower right. Imagine what it looks like in a dark room...it's terrible.

Just got my new (3rd) monitor today. I will say one thing about Dell's support, the overnight shipping is great. Both times on the Dell Support Line I did have to talk to 3 people before finally getting to a person who could actually RMA the thing for me, but overall it was hassle-free.

Luckily, this time, the monitor looks great. No dead pixels, backlight bleeding, or color tinting at all that I can see. Now, as long as it continues to work correctly beyond 2 days, I think we'll be good. :cool:

One interesting thing is that each time I've gotten a Rev. A01 monitor, but they have been getting newer and newer. The first had a manufacture date of like September 2010 or something, the second one was December 2010, and now this one is January 2011. Hopefully that means they've worked the kinks out of it by now.

LG supplies the panels, not much Dell can bo but twiddle their thumbs... (and they don't do pro calibration at the factory like they do for their U2410h and upwards.).

Just got 2 x U2311Hs from the Dell NZ Outlet store at NZ$221 (USD$164). Now after reading about some of the tinting issues, I might just keep them anyway. Although my S2409W (TN) has been very good for what I've been using it for so far, so it's a hard choice of which combination of monitors to keep.

LG supplies the panels, not much Dell can bo but twiddle their thumbs... (and they don't do pro calibration at the factory like they do for their U2410h and upwards.).

Nevertheless, it seems like there's a lack of quality control for these since both problems I've had were almost (if not definitely) immediately apparent from turning on the display.

Anyway, I'm happy now, and I'm satisfied with Dell's customer service.

So far what I love most about this monitor is the contrast. It's possible to have deep blacks but yet not have the terrible overall darkness like I'm used to with TN panels. Like for example in Minecraft when it is dark, I can still see well and still have even darker blacks on the screen elsewhere. With my TN it was impossible to see anything at night without some sort of light.

yeah, I really liked that. I didn't understand why I used to pump up the brightness settings (in game) so high until I tried playing on my DLP display :barf:

Nevertheless, it seems like there's a lack of quality control for these since both problems I've had were almost (if not definitely) immediately apparent from turning on the display.

Anyway, I'm happy now, and I'm satisfied with Dell's customer service.

So far what I love most about this monitor is the contrast. It's possible to have deep blacks but yet not have the terrible overall darkness like I'm used to with TN panels. Like for example in Minecraft when it is dark, I can still see well and still have even darker blacks on the screen elsewhere. With my TN it was impossible to see anything at night without some sort of light.

When I tried a U2331H I also had issues out of the box - so QC seems lacking across the board.

I got mine some days ago (rev02) and almost everything seems ok. No dead or stuck pixels, colours and contrast and sharpness are all great, AG coating isn't annoying, no buzzing-sound, no colour tint on all-white screen.

But one thing is bothering me and that is the notorious IPS glow. Black and dark screens all have an almost non-existing viewing angle because of that. If you move your head too much from the center of the screen the edges of the screen (and slowly the whole screen) start getting distinctly brighter. Viewed from over 45 degrees black screens are more like light gray.

Here is a video I took -> YouTube

If I have understood right this is more like a feature than a flaw in these models. Or could there be something wrong with my monitor?

it's eIPS, not much can be done about it, unfortuneately. It's (afaik) a side result of loosened tolerances that allowed for weaker backlights to be used (another cost saving design decision that allowed LG to bring low end IPS to the masses :)).

All ips screens behave more or less the same, since no company that i know of uses ATW polarizers anymore. e-ips does seem to have slight worse viewing angles than other in plane switching panels though.

daFred --> my Rev.02 also has only one real problem - IPS glow on dark scenes. Do dead pixels, almost no backlight bleed, no annoying AG coating. What RGB settings you are using on your U2311H?

You get what you pay for.Dell just bang them together without the added technologies like with the other compilers

it's eIPS, not much can be done about it, unfortuneately. It's (afaik) a side result of loosened tolerances that allowed for weaker backlights to be used (another cost saving design decision that allowed LG to bring low end IPS to the masses :)).

I thought so. So there wouldn't be any point in trying to change the monitor to a new one as all the U2311Hs are more or less like this one.

Matas said:
What RGB settings you are using on your U2311H?

I'm using factory settings (3x100) with custom RGB -preset. It's a bit hard to find the right settings without hardware calibrator (which I don't own), so I just calibrated the colour gammas with this using NVIDIA Control Panel's RGB gamma-sliders. At least this page (Monitor color calibration from the sidebar) shows that the calibration is now ok (it somehow compares monitors calibration with it's own serverside calibration profile, I don't exactly know if that can give a trustworthy result or not).

If someone knows any better ways to calibrate this monitor (without a calibrator) please tell.

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here, and hoping for some [H] opinions on my current issue.

I jumped in on the last deal for the U2311Hs, and picked up three of them for eyefinity/surround. I'm coming from like 10 years on TNs, so first IPS. I've been watching this model (and the U2211H) for the last 5 months or so, waiting til the problems seemed to be mostly gone.

So I talked with 3 customer service reps before ordering, and all three assured me that all current monitors shipping were revision A02, and had none of the backlight bleed or tint issues from before, and after confirming that multiple times, I went ahead and ordered. Amazing service, it estimated a ship date 2 weeks away, instead it shipped same day and got here in 2 days. Incredible, already pretty thrilled with Dell.

However, when they got here, all three panels are Rev A01, manufactured Feb 2011. I was pretty annoyed, so before even unpacking them I got on with customer service, who again assured me that they are shipping A02 only, and gave me a number to call.

Long discussion short, they can't exchange the A01 for A02s because they "are different models". I have two options here, I can keep the A01s and get a $25 refund (per monitor) for the inconvenience, or I can send them back for a full refund with the restocking fee waived. I'd then have to re-order 3 more monitors, but good luck on getting the price when they were on sale (and might get A01s again even though they swear A02s are the only thing going out).

Well, they said I have 21 days to make up my mind, so I unpacked them all and started testing them. There's a tiny tiny bit of backlight bleed in the corners, and very little contrast shift (again, mostly in the 4 corners) but other than that the panels seem almost perfect. I need to do some more testing on one of the three which seems to have a bit less color accuracy than the others though.

So basically, if you were in my shoes, what would you guys do? Three panels with minor if any issues, and if I keep them I'll save $75 extra making these a damn good deal. If I return them, I won't be out anything but I'll probably have to wait for the next deal for the same price and I'm risking getting more A01s again, or even worse, ones with actual issues. I'm not sure what I want to do here, and I have about a week left to decide.

Oh, don't know if these really show anything, but here's (mostly) black screen shots showing the minor corner discolor is all, which I assume is inherent to these models since all three are pretty similar.

Monitor 1:
Kj3od.jpg

Monitor 2:
QeiHC.jpg

Monitor 3:
vmoGs.jpg

Took some white screens too, but it's not nearly as noticeable there until you're like 3 inches away at an angle.

Yeah, that looks pretty normal to me for this monitor, from what I've seen.

The two I have have pretty much 0 backlight bleed, the only thing I get is the IPS glow which is unavoidable. However to get that I had to return both monitors and just got lucky on the second batch.

I'm interested about the one with less colour accuracy though. One of mine seems different to the other, even thought the settings are the same. I'm hoping when I finally get around to getting a calibrator I can fix that once and for all?

I'm interested about the one with less colour accuracy though. One of mine seems different to the other, even thought the settings are the same. I'm hoping when I finally get around to getting a calibrator I can fix that once and for all?

Well, I don't have a calibrator yet, but I lowered each display to 50 brightness 65 contrast to start off, RGB preset, 100R 100G 100B, and went through some of the Lagom test images with each monitor directly in front of me to see any differences. Two of them are nearly perfect and I'm amazed at the difference even a cheap IPS has over TN. The third one though can't distinguish some of the white images and has a difference reaction to the pixel walk images than the other two.

I tried messing with the brightness and contrast and color presets but it didn't seem to make the different shades of white distinguishable, and the pixel walk was much worse. The other two had no issues at any settings and only had a minor reaction to one pixel walk image. If it bothers me enough to need to return it, I'll probably just return all three monitors and hope for better luck the next time the deal rolls around (unless I can get them to honor the sales price on a new order because this is their fault).

Just a bit odd since I've heard of people exchanging Alienware models for Ultrasharps via Dell's customer service, and they won't even exchange an identical monitor for the same one with a different revision for me. Not saying they haven't been more than generous, a free return and waived restocking fee is great, but I'm starting to get used to them and man it would be hard to go back to a TN until the next deal shows up.

The monitors you have are not bad. The only thing I would be cautious is tinting because they have not been solved yet. Dell does not control LG's panels. If you find them suitable keep em and take the refund. Otherwise return them or reorder since the refund is only relative to the price you purchased.

I also received my U2311H last week, Rev A01, February 2011.

The text is noticeably grainy when compared to my LG L246WP. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put AG coating on "Ultrasharp" monitors needs to be fired. Boy is this a step backward for reading.

Hey just got mine today and only have one problem.... In windows 7 color calibrator I cant change my gamma settings. It will flicker to that setting and then flicker back. I also cant change it with Nvidia Control Panel or in the menu(there is no setting)

What Do?

I ordered 3 yesterday, they shipped out this morning.

Pics when they arrive, I hope they're all without any bleed / stuck pixels ><

I got one of these monitors just before Christmas time last year and I was very impressed with it. (it was a Rev. 1) Just until a week ago I noticed a line of green pixels down the left hand side of the monitor, so I got RMA'ed by the online retailer.

Well I got another one this week as a replacement and was happy to find out it was a Rev. 2. But, only last night I discovered a pretty annoying background bleed in the bottom left of the screen.

2c74a.jpg

It probably doesn't look bad but it gets very annoying when movies have black bars. Do you think it is reasonable to get an RMA with Dell and how exactly can I do that because the monitor has no service tag code which they require.

Thanks for any help.

I got one of these monitors just before Christmas time last year and I was very impressed with it. (it was a Rev. 1) Just until a week ago I noticed a line of green pixels down the left hand side of the monitor, so I got RMA'ed by the online retailer.

Well I got another one this week as a replacement and was happy to find out it was a Rev. 2. But, only last night I discovered a pretty annoying background bleed in the bottom left of the screen.

2c74a.jpg

It probably doesn't look bad but it gets very annoying when movies have black bars. Do you think it is reasonable to get an RMA with Dell and how exactly can I do that because the monitor has no service tag code which they require.

Thanks for any help.

You should be able to RMA that, my first one was that bad and even that drove me up the wall.

You'll probably have to call dell to get that one RMA'd and explain the situation.

Back